Jambands.ca

"positive role model"

bradm

Remember that MJ came from a lower/working-class background, and, despite the racial problems that plagued (and continue to plague) the U.S.A. (especially during the late '60s and early '70s), he rose to the top of music (at least in terms of sales and adulation) all over the world. He never projected a violent or drug-laden image (compare and contrast with G&R), broke new ground (musically and visually), and made lots of people happy.

Aloha,

Brad

WOW...do you want o write my next paper.

you are right Brad..it just struck me as kinda of odd, I guess cause even in 1990 I would'nt have thought I could make a connection with youth by refering to Micheal Jackson.

it just made me chuckle a bit and sharing it provided me with a relief from studying.

I think it's also worthwhile to remember that MJ got to his level of success while growing up in front of the world; most of the examples of success are seen initially as grown-ups, which has less relevance to youth than someone who achieves something over the course of a number of years, starting from childhood.

For example, if you compare, say, Donald Trump to MJ, from the point of view of an inner-city youth, Trump would mean almost nothing; almost as if an alien appeared from another planet, fully-formed and incredibly successful. MJ, on the other hand, looks like someone who could be part of the youth's life, and could be seen by the youth as an achievable goal, because they both start out at the same (at least age) level, and both come from similar environments.

Aloha,

Brad, Culture Vulture, Circling Menacingly

In one of my readings for school on adolescent development it states

"one of the favorite pastimes of contemporary youth is music. Positive role models such as Micheal Jackson affect the norms of youth and must be capiatlized uopn.".. [Eek!][Eek!][Eek!]

The paper was published in 1990...although the whole dangling the baby thing had'nt taken place yet, his behavior did not seems like role model material to me...scary stuff!

well...maybe the moonwalk [Wink]