Jambands.ca

Roll call: TMNS & BGH tonight at Dekcuf!!!!

Hux

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a day that started out like crap (I had to go to work yet AGAIN - that's three days this week!!!) things have really turned around!

A night of fine tasting sushi then some fine sounding tunes with some fine lookin' pholks!

COUNT ME IN!!

Shall I bring some more Smarties?

I'll pass on the Smarties, bring the sushi!!!. (Where are you going? There's been a background discussion here in various topics about good sushi places in Ottawa. So far, Soeul House [somerset & Percy, IIRC] seems to well-recommended [esp. by me].)

What' s gonna mess me up bigtime tonight is the time...I'm used to leaving home around 9pm, taking my time, stopping for a coffee, getting to Dekcuf around 9:45pm or so, with plenty of time to set up the rig, test it, get a refreshing beverage, and wait in quivering anticipation for the madding crowd to arrive and the festivities to being. With a 9pm start, my usual pattern goes right out the window. What time will the doors be open? 8:30pm?

Aloha,

Brad

Had a great time last night everyone!!!

Bluegrassy high as always was a real blast. I loved, "up in smoke".

It was my first time seeing "the music never stopped", and they are really excellent. Highlight for me was the ending of the song, "the music never stopped". They were getting really groovy, and the keyboardist was doing this cool rhodes thing, very dancable. The keys player for that band is really very good...

Did any one else have a hard time hearing the guitarist on our left? I swear at times he was the only guitarist playing and I couldn't hear anything he was doing!!

Other than that, the sound was pretty good last night I think. No too loud either, which is good.

Phred

Oh, man that was fun. BGH sounded great, but I wish they'd been able to play longer.

TMNS...I remember having this incredible music running through my head, swirling (rainbows spiralling round and round...), taking over my mind, then I came out of it, got up to adjust the mics...but I couldn't, 'cause I was in the middle of my bedroom...It took me a minute or two to realize that I was, in fact, home, had been home (in bed, actually) for a few hours, and everything was packed up downstairs. It was as if packing up, leaving the club, the trip home on the bus, the entering of my home, drinking water, watching TV briefly as I gathered my thoughts, climbing into bed, that was the dream, bracketed before and after by music that made me feel so alive, so awake, as to make everyday existence seem as bland as a plotless, meaningless, dream.

On the ride home, my friend Jenny asked me, "How do you learn to do that? Do they rehearse?" I replied that you need to learn to lead and follow, to both direct and be directed, to let the music flow back and forth, to and fro, ebb and flow.

Well, no, I didn't say that...I think I said, "Yeah." Words were not coming to me with their usual ease at that point.

I didn't bring the tape into the office today; I don't think I'd be able to get anything done while reliving (or should that be "real-living"...) that experience.

Thanks, guys.

Aloha,

Brad

I also managed to find the setlist, set down and given to me by Booche:

Set I

------

Hell In A Bucket

Sugaree

Easy Wind

Dupree's Diamond Blues

I'm A Hog For You Baby

The Music Never Stopped

Set II

-------

Feel Like A Stranger

Eyes Of The World

Estimated Prophet ->

He's Gone ->

Drumz ->

Space ->

The Other One ->

Stella Blue ->

Turn On Your Lovelight

Encore

--------

Don't Let Go

I think the He's Gone -> Drumz -> Space might actually be more like He's Gone -> Space -> Drumz -> Space, because I remember some pretty spacy stuff before (the very short) Drumz. No matter. The only song I didn't recognize was the 3rd one in Set I; I guess it's a rarity?

Aloha,

Brad

Man that was a good ol' time last night. BGH is certainly finding it's place. Booche was incredible doing Up in Smoke. Way to come out of your shell there. We need more of that! Dave-O on banjo is as brilliant as Dave-O on guitar. He adds such beautiful licks that really add to the whole sound.

I have seen TMNS only twice before and to be honest, I wasn't that impressed with either show. Last night was very good. They were strong both vocally and instrumentally. I couldn't help but dance.

Kudos to everyone who made it out and stayed late. I was surprised with how many people were still there at 1:30. Way to go everyone.

Kudos also out to Rick for inventing the Flaming Monkey Ass.

Kudos to Kitari for the smarties. Munch on girlfriend!

Ass and humming in the same sentence? I dont know about you Phred........... [Razz]

Thanks to everyone for coming and dealing with hangovers today. TMNS is certainly (as Maki suggested last night) the best. REALLY solid on their part.

For those of you that didnt hear it last night, BGH dedicated the set to ScottieKing.

"Come on, lets go get high!"

Kickin' show last night! Congrats to all of you who played, you were great! I had an excellent time.... (Definitely needed the shades this a.m. [Cool] )

Especially when Blue Grassy High was playing. Bring on the banjo and the wailing!

Was impressed with TMNS, as well. I've never seen them play before, but will see them play again, for sure. Have to agree with Kitari, though, they lost me at the space.

I'm new to the site, so Hello Ya'll! FYI, I was the buxom brunette in the mauve top hangin' with Kitari all night. My name's Krista.

TMNS were sounding INCREDIBLE. The Cafe Dekcuf is by far the greatest venue for such sweet sounds. Everything sounds and looks great in there. I've never enjoyed TMNS as much as I did last night.

It's too bad that the BGH didn't get to run through everything, but it would have been unfortunate to affect TMNS in any way.

I had a great time with everyone last night. I didn't get in on one flaming monkey. As Rick put it, "You see, the banana makes it taste like monkeys". I had no idea that monkeys tasted like bananas.

Dave-O and I were wondering what happened to Dr. Hux. Well, I just came across this little footage filmed from the NewRO.

-

PHEW!!! what a great time!!!!

TMNS was smokin' last night, that MNS they played kicked this campers ass - that was hot hot hot!!

Great crowd, great times, great buzz....as Peter Frampton once said...

...."C'MON!!! LET'S DO IT AGAIN!!!!" [smile][big Grin]

I had a great time last night! It was great seeing everyone again and meeting some new faces from the site.

I LOVED Blue Grassy High's set! You guys together just sound great - especially Geoff's "very quiet" bass! LOL You have to do some more shows guys with much longer sets. I enjoyed your tunes more than TMNS to be honest.

I get lost in the whole "space" thing. I thought they were re-tuning till Ms. Hux set me straight! Just a bit too much for an alcohol-only buzz I guess.

bouche mentioned something last night about my real identity being "some big secret" and that he was reluctant to introduce people to me because of it. [Confused] So I thought I should say here and now that my name is Lucy. I was the blondish kid in orange pants and a white sweater parked by the stage the whole night! [Cool]

Next show I'll make a better effort of getting my drunkin ass off the chair and making the rounds! Hope you all do the same so we can meet half-way!