Jambands.ca

What the hell is wrong with people...

rubberdinghy

In Ottawa?

This morning I took a tumble off the bus at Baseline station...When dinghy hits the ground it`s usually a monumentus occasion, I am a large lad...Anyhoo I didn`t hurt anything except my pride, but here is the thing...

There I am on my hands and knees, hundreds of people around...(Baseline Station at 8:30)...and not a single person says a word, or even offers a hand...

Am I being selfish? I would have offered a hand...

Well...Happy Monday...A new day...a new week, can`t wait for GTB on Wednesday!

People can be so blasee. I was in New York for New Year's and saw a guy on the stairs going down to the subway just laying there bleeding! Person after person walked right buy him, without even looking up. I must've watched this for about a half hour before getting bored and walking away!

Man, I love that joke!

Sad isn't it?

About two years ago, I was walking outside the Giant Tiger (famous for their inexpensive gitch and canned foods) on George st(?)...All of a sudden I see a guy lying on the ground in mid-siezure. It was winter and the guy had one one shoe on and a nasty old sweater..As I walked over to see if he's alright, I see a woman walking over his legs and telling her kids not to come anywhere near him. That was pretty upsetting. I asked him if he was alright, but he obviously didn't reply. Hell, there was blood coming out of his mouth along with a lot of foam. All I could do was stop a guy to get his cellular phone and phone 911...I was pretty pissed at the Ottawa locals that day.

It's soooo strange that people try to suppress their feelings in public. I mean, a lot of people probably thought to offer you a hand or ask if you were okay, but they didn't feel like acting on it. Now whether that's because they were too shy or embarassed to be the only one talking to you, I don't know, but either way, that sucks. People should try to be publicly friendly...might make a difference.

True. Over Christmas, in Newfoundland, I saw a guy outside Tim Hortons drinking a coffee while lying on the sidewalk. This is an odd occurance in Corner Brook because we don't have any homeless people on the streets..especially during the winter. Not surprisingly though, just about everybody approached him and asked if he was Ok. Turns out, he had just injured his back while working and he couldn't bend over to sit down. He was simply enjoying a cup while lying on the sidewalk...Wierd, but I can only imagine how differently he'd have been treated elsewhere.

I was once at a bank machine taking money out and the guy at the machine beside me fell right over and hit his head on the counter. The lady behind him actually walked around him to do her banking at the machine!!!

I ran over to help, but there was a military guy behind me in line who got there first. He seemed to know something about first aid and was helping him, and I called 911 on my cel phone.

After the lady was done at the bank machine, she said "is he okay?".

People suck.

Phred

shitty my friend, hope your bum is ok.

People are afraid to show emotions. or that they care about something. or vulnerability. in public, or often at all. its sad, but its definitley a trend in this 'civilized' world we live in.

and i do love Ottawa- but there is a definite contingency of these 'cocooned' people here it seems.. remember the old lady who was found frozen to death in a snowbank? She wiped out bad, and people walked by her for two days, until she was eventually shoveled into a snowbank by a streetcleaner. discovered by school kids during a semi-thaw a few days later.

in sandyhill, last winter!! crazy shit!

quote:

Originally posted by h:

i hope you told her she was an ass phred. damn, i've started to yell at people in public washrooms for not washing their hands - i woulda blasted her for sure

I tried to I think. All I got out my mouth was, "holy shit, are you okay..." to the guy who fell. I then huffed at the lady who passed, him, too shocked to really say anything.

Then I talked to the 911 dispatcher.

I didn't realize how terrible she was being until later I don't think.

Phred

It's sad that my home town is getting this bashing, but it's entirely true. About 3 years ago my mother slipped and fell on some ice at the kanata park n'ride. She thought she had broken her arm. No one extended any help, she ended up making her way to me at my high school so I could drive her to the hospital to have her arm looked at. She said people just looked at her, and just like baseline it's a super busy place during the rush hours of the city. It's weird how just this weekend I was talking to someone who'd moved to Ottawa a couple of years ago and mentioned that Ottawa was a fair sized city, but didn't have any of that big city coldness. It felt more like a small place where community is important. I guess all these stories go to show you that every coin has two sides, and we don't always see both.

Is it that people are failing to look outside of themselves, or are they failing to look inside themselves?

Or maybe it's just empty on both sides to them. Must be a complete shock to them when something hits them.

These are paper people, not inclined to change the world.

People get so offended when you tell them that the emperor is naked.

I was on the phone with the MTO this morning. More to the point, I was on the phone with the MTO voice mail. It took several minutes to figure out how to reach a live human. Anyway, parts of the system are supremely idiotic, and some of the front-line people are no less so. I know, they have a tough job--I get that. But let's face it ... the smart ones eventually get out of there.

So there I am, trying to figure out what's gone gablooey with my license renewal. It was just a hiccup somewhere down the line, but it was a silly one, easily avoided and easily, if inconveniently, remedied. So go-eth the conversation ...

MTO drone: "Everyone else seems to know this ..."

Me: "Nobody told *me.* From what you've said, someone was supposed to have told me but didn't. So, there is no reasonable way I could have known."

MTO drone: "Well, that's how the system works."

Me: "So, it's standard practice to make a driver go out of her way to submit paperwork that an MTO employee already has in hand? That's a duplication of effort. It's ... dumb."

MTO drone: "Well, that's how the system works. I can't override the system."

Me: "That doesn't make it any less dumb, now does it??"

On second thought, maybe I *don't* want her to have the ability to muck with my record. This drone had my file on the screen in front of her, yet she still couldn't sort out my license class. *sigh*

Archived