Jambands.ca

I thought her fingers were crossed

CatPhish

The big question is what happens the next time you're at the border after one of these citations. They say specifically "we are not chaning the law, just the penalty", which would make me guess it'd still show up in the border computer, and people still wouldn't be told that they aren't allowed to see the show in the states...

quote:

Originally posted by MoMack:

The big question is what happens the next time you're at the border after one of these citations. They say specifically "we are not chaning the law, just the penalty", which would make me guess it'd still show up in the border computer...

Nope. I'm pretty sure that as long as it's not a criminal offence, it won't end up in the database - or it shouldn't, anyway. I'm sure that they don't have your parking fines in the computer; that's what these new citations amount to (although the border patrol wouldn't keep you out of the US for unpaid parking fines - I do recognize the difference!).

In the end, I'm not sure how this makes the case any different - regardless of the penalty, if the record is in the computer, you're still screwed. The real worry is that police will start handing out citations all of the time. Before, they couldn't be bothered with hassling people over a joint or two, and let them go; now, they may be even *more* likely to give you a citation, since you are unlikely to fight it, not to mention that it's a money making policy...

Brian (who still thinks that at least baby steps towards legalization are better than no steps at all...).