Jambands.ca

favourite dead year?

dancingbear

Allright everyone,

What year(s) do you find yourself digging from the dead? Is it the crazy '77 year, maybe the early stuff?

For me it's 73. I don't know why really, just something about that year, jerry's voice sounds so so good and smooth, and keith just rocks. I find it a bit strange that i like this year so much as one of the things i love about the dead is that full full drum sound, yet in 73 it was pretty much just billy. Anyhow i recommend 11/14/73 , San Diego Sports Arena for an amazing China>Ryder. Interested to hear others thoughts.

Have a groovy day.

dancingbear

ezy................65 to 95

If In was forced with great torture and beating to choose a single year in The great journey of the Grateful Dead then I guess it would have to be 70 or 71 (Ron "Pigpen" McKernan)

Wonderin how to pick a SINGLE year?? [Confused][Confused]

Loose Lucy [Razz]

In order:

1989-90

1983-84

...and then all the rest!

quote:

Originally posted by dancingbear:

I find it a bit strange that i like this year so much as one of the things i love about the dead is that full full drum sound, yet in 73 it was pretty much just billy.

My favourite years are the "just Billy" years. Having only one drummer made the sound a little more fluid, and it was probably easier to change rhythms and tempos. I think that something about the sound of the band changed after Mickey came back in 1975 (other than the fact that there was another member, of course!) . I prefer the "double-drummer" sounds of the earlier years much more than the later years. Of course, the drums/space segment is always good, too...

Brian.

I've always been a big 1977 guy...

There's something about the synchronicity of the rythm section in this period, (the drummers particularly) and the studio-like perfection and precision of their playing and singing on some/most of the shows from this year, truly amazing....I like '78 in that it's closest thing to '77, '79 would round out my top 3, some of these early Brent shows were just unbelievable, 12.28.79 is incredible.

'77 '78 '79 - it's all FINE!!!