Jambands.ca

QOTD 12-17-02

Schwa.

if H was directing her question at me, here's more info in a brief way:

In Alaska, Uncle Sam has humanitarian/development funds set aside; Chukotka is the most North-East province in Russia, thus being Alaska's neighbor; since the Communist machine collapsed, Chukotka got royally screwed (economically and socially); last Summer I worked for the Red Cross out there trying to put some pieces back together; now in Alaska we're trying to see whether or not a micro-credit program would be feasible out there; microcredit is simply banking for poor people without assets/collateral; a poor person receiving a loan would also get technical and social assistance included, so it's also a social investment into the community; micro-credit has proven very successful in Bangladesh and other parts of the developing world.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

High school law and business studies teacher, with a serious music hobby (some would say addiction - I guess I need to make a jamaholic confession at some point).

And yes, visions of Christmas holidaze are dancing in my head ......

And wow, what an interesting range of jobs/careers/occupations/situations. Very refreshing. It can get pretty stagnant hanging around with teachers all the time.

Peace, Mark

Mark: High school law eh? What kind of stuff do you teach? Mainly constitutional? Or do you get into basic contracs/torts/criminal stuff?

I'm studying Law at Queen's, and the idea of teaching it has always been somewhat intriguing (do you have to be able to spell to be a teacher?).

Any idea if highschool law teachers can teach with an LLB instead of a B.ed?

by day im a corp. whore working for Nextel big U.S. cell phone company (the devil)

then mostly a music whore

after 5pm you can find me doing many things mostly to do with music.

side projects im working on

on location audio for an upcoming film and t.v. show as well being the GA on set.

working as a GA on an upcoming radio show

a little studio recording work here and there mostly post audio stuff/film editting.

Booking and promoing for a club in Hamilton

working on the jamhub

traveling with bands doing

sound/recording/merch

going to as many shows as i can and taping them.

thats the day of the whore

By day I work as an electrician for the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Local Union 105 Hamilton.

Union Yes

By night I work with Show-Whore, promoting and workin the door for a club in Hamilton,and a little work on Jamhub.ca.

Rest of the time I fill the void expirementing with different combo's of illicit drugs and strong alcohol,while attending as many shows as possible without falling down. [big Grin]

Esau13

Uncle Fungi Productions

Lone gun in tech and marcomm documentation, web content, basic web management and structure, image editing, plus whatever else needs to be done. (Yes, I'm the asshole that writes the manuals. Get over it.)

I have a vague recollection of having been an engineer or a mathematician or something like that. Must have been a hallucination.

I manage a rock band, teach guitar and do video direction for the NAC Orchestra. At night I'm part of world famous rock n' roll sensation, The Tummies, and I sometimes promote concerts in Ottawa (like now: Go see DON ROSS at the Alumni Theatre on January 10th).

Wow, that sounds so much cooler than it is. Except The Tummies part. That's cool.

quote:

Originally posted by MoMack:

Any idea if highschool law teachers can teach with an LLB instead of a B.ed?

Nope, unless you want to teach in the private school system. By law (no pun intended), pretty much everyone has to have a B.Ed to teach in the public system. The private system has the benefit of teaching fewer classes per day and not dealing with the government, but the downside is that you make a lot less money.

Of course, if you actually want to make money, I'd probably recommend using your law degree to enter the legal profession itself.

[smile][Roll Eyes][smile]

Brian.

excellent response to this one.

I myself am a Duty Manager at the Wheels Inn in Chatham. It is a 350 room Hotel/Amusement park family type fun place.

Oh ya, i'm a full time student as well taking Mechanical Engineering Technology (Mechatronics) at St. Clair College here in Chatham as well. backbacon, how did that last exam go for ya?

zimmerman - that is really interesting ... personally i'd just airlift em all over to alaska build some housing and take it from there - i think you've given a lot more thought to your ideas [smile]

backbacon, i would love a flagpole - can you erect one for me sometime in the summer?!

i also need electricians and always teachers too --> ok everybody over to my place we're gonna have a barn raisin'!

Hey there MoMack,

Hamilton has it right ... it's almost imposible to teach in the public system without a B Ed.

I have a Business degree but in my first year there was 1 section of law as part of my teaching assignment ... I really enjoyed it and have been teaching law ever since. Now I teach mostly law (4 out of 6 classes).

In Grade 11 we do Canadian law, with a huge focus on criminal law and some civil law (Family, Torts, Contracts) ... very little constitutional law.

In Grade 12 we do lots of Constitutional law (focused on the Charter), some criminal law, and some other topics (e.g. international law, labour law, etc. depending on how much time we have).

In both years I run mock trials with my classes, which are a lot of fun and a great learning experience, imo.

It's a really good job, except for all of the external factors (e.g. "teacher bashing" by the government) and except for the marking, which I am avoiding by replying with this post [big Grin]

And it's a great job in July and August, but don't do it for that reason. I know a few people that have bailed on this profession because they hated it. It is not for everyone. Yes the holidays are nice, but there are still many more teaching days than holidays.

Time to get back to my marking ...

Peace, Mark

quote:

I myself am a Duty Manager at the Wheels Inn in Chatham. It is a 350 room Hotel/Amusement park family type fun place.

Wheels Inn??? I love that place!!! The bathroom floors are heated!!!! and water slides.....Fun Fun Fun [big Grin] What's the chance of getting a discount the next time we head to Chatham??? [smile][smile][smile]

Oh, I work for the federal gov't like almost everyone else in Ottawa....