Jambands.ca

Phish: selling sndbrd copies of upcomng shows

secondtube

check it out

It's real.....and heres how it affects taping

How does Live Phish Downloads affect your taping policy?

For the most part, our taping policy remains unchanged. As with other official Phish releases, you may not copy (except for personal use) or trade files offered through Live Phish Downloads. We have made one significant change to the Policy that bears noting. The Policy now allows for audience recordings of any show to be traded person to person or through online repositories, whereas previously it was forbidden to offer audience recordings of shows that had been officially released through online repositories. This change applies to live shows released on CD as well as via download.

Live Phish Downloads relies on an honor system, and we ask that you do not abuse the unrestricted nature of these files. If you would like to see this type of delivery of shows continue and flourish, please respect our taping policy and don't abuse the system.

I wonder how well this is going to work?

The price of each show is based on format and length. Each show is available in two formats: MP3 (standard) and Shorten aka SHN (premium). Most shows are two sets, but some (like New Year's Eve for example) are three sets. Two set shows cost $9.95 for MP3 format and $12.95 for SHN. Three set shows cost $14.95 for MP3 and $18.95 for SHN. Batches of shows may be offered at a discounted price. For example, you can preorder all four shows from the New Year's Run 2002/2003 at one discounted price.

The Live Phish Downloads is a cooperative effort between Phish and nugs.net. This site was designed by The Chopping Block and is powered by PatchBay, a CinemaNow solution.

very interesting....

It appears to me that the price may be a bit steep...for now.

On one hand, the delivery and packaging, and cd pressing is gone.

On the other hand, however, there is the cost of bandwidth and server space.

But if you look at it, you do save a lot of money. Aren't 2-disc shows about 28.99 US anyway?

Also, you can get the show days after it's been performed. I think I like where this is headed.

It may not be perfect, but if this community can live by the honor system, and avoid trading these shows, and actually paying for their personal copy, perhaps something will change in the way the RIAA handles things.

This is a new and great step towards music delivery and ownership. I could see the price dropping way down if this works.

i just downloaded and burnt the freebie 10-7-00.

sound is amazing considering i don't think i've even heard a sbd by them.

BUT...

what is up with this? there are benefits fo' sure...but i hope the cost is just there to cover their expenses (yeah right)

the dead allowed sbd shows to be leaked out and distributed...

i'm a little concerned about phi$h...where is this going?

anybody else have nagging doubts?

as for respecting the whole don't copy thing...whatever...haven't we all copied albums, movies etc...

who here has a pirated satellite card? i'm not saying its right but c'mon...

I also like and respect that they are still allowing audience taping as well as trading of those audience copies. So that option is always there for those who may choose not to purchase the soundboard copies. I am not saying anyone should avoid buying the soundboards, I just like that they have left other options open for the fans.

Alright....usually I'm pretty positive, but I'm pretty much fed up with phish. I mean i download all their new album off the net, but still go buy it out of respect and honesty when it came out (even though as for the album it sounds unproduced, and rushed like the record company was probably putting pressure on them to release something). Then it's impossible to get tickets in this post-hiatus phish world. Now I presume they are not going to allow anyone to plug into the sound board so they can make even more $$$ off of the community. This I feel takes a significant step into the slow toppling of the free, amazing, one of the reasons i totally dig and support jambands trading community. I mean does phish sit at home and say, gee i know we are making a great living while changing peoples lives, giving people happiness, and hope , but really our phans are taking advantage of our goodness and we should charge them a fee to a) re-live a show or B) listen to a show that they couldn't attend for a multitiude of various reasons or just c) to get off on our music. Sorry for the run on sentence,...but man phish is really getting to me. They have got to me before but it was all good getting, now it seems a bit. ..greedy?

They claim to be releasing EVERY bloody show. I doubt that I'd be able to pay for every show, but I'd like to at least pay for a couple a year, without missing owning lots of them.

Perhaps they'll figure out a subscription based service like Rhapsody, or something similar. Monthly fees to access the downloads section.

If people are sharing them, it'll just be a hassle for some to get the show they want, so it will be incentive to pay the 14.99 or whatever to get it, as long as the servers are much better than they are now.

It took me 1.5 hours to download one disc of the freebie on my extreme highspeed connection. That's not really encouraging.

Satellite hacking is another story entirely. You can hack your dish and still have a minimal subscription too. Why pay $100 just to have access to all channels, whether you watch them or not?

I hate to say it but i think phish is getting greedy with this,, and the server is slow as molasses too,,,, even on high speed or dsl or cable it takes along time .

its nice how they will have the shows pretty much immediatly after they're played, but i still dont think its worth the 12.99 for a shn show, even if it is sbd.

im undecided on this one but i dont see myself buying too many shows,,, it would be better if they had a monthly fee,, whoever said that was right on the money

i think its cheese.

i thought Round Room was cheese.

i thought the performance on SNL was cheese.

i thought letterman performance was cheese.

i think this selling of boards is cheese.

BUT WHO CARES WHAT I THINK.

people will still be able to download the auds for free, and they haven't let people connect to the board for about four years.

sure phish is greedy, but we knew that when they announced their comeback at a show where only 20K of their massive fanbase could show up. (that isn't financial greed, more personal trey greed. he likes the fact its the hardest ticket in North America for NYE. Then they don't show it on ppv.

Pearl Jam claims when people buy their boards, TRADE THEM FREELY!!!!!! THey don't care, they say have a few friends buy different shows, then trade them around.....

I know I will be doin' this with the phish snd boards.....they will be on ftp sites, they will be on http sites, just probably not furthur.

i posted this, with the info, without an opinion. this is it. they may be doin' something revolutionary, but it doesn't mean its good.

Still can't wait for February, and maybe even march if the Greensboro tickets go through...nothing is like seeing a live Phish show. for this, i cannot wait. at least they are keeping their ticket prices down, and not playing stadiums (hopefully)

Hope tOO's go back on tour this spring/summer.

quote:

Originally posted by dancingbear:

Now I presume they are not going to allow anyone to plug into the sound board so they can make even more $$$

When was the last time they "allowed" anyone to plug into the board?

I really don't see what all of the fuss is about. If you don't want to buy the downloads... DON"T BUY THEM!! No one is twisting anyone's arm. Audience taping is still permitted, so what's the gripe? Before, everyone was complaining that Phish was on hiatus... now, we're complaining that they are back!!!

Last time I checked, an artist was still allowed to make a profit off of his/her music. Let's also not forget that Phish donate a significant amount of money to charitable works too, although I haven't seen a specific designation as such for this project.

Brian.

I for one am THRILLED about the Live Phish downloads. No one seemed to complain about the Live Phish CD series - great shows with great sound quality - this is NO different, just a different media to obtain the music. No shipping charges, no duties, just great SBDs for our listening pleasure. As noted in the FAQ, audience taping is still permitted as normal.

Needless to say Phish IS a business, and although I am sure they are doing quite well you can'l blame them for trying to affect the bottom line.

As has been so eloquently put in previous posts - if you don't want - DON'T BUY!

quote:

Originally posted by secondtube:

sure phish is greedy, but we knew that when they announced their comeback at a show where only 20K of their massive fanbase could show up. (that isn't financial greed, more personal trey greed. he likes the fact its the hardest ticket in North America for NYE. Then they don't show it on ppv.

Ummm.... what does this mean, Steve? Where *should* they have announced their comeback? On one hand, you say that you don't want them to play stadium shows (and I agree 100% with you there), but on the other hand, you complain that "only" 20,000 people can show up.

And what's with the Trey comment? Did he say that somewhere, or are you just guessing at this? Is there any basis or justification for this? I think that almost any musician would be pleased by the fact that they have so many fans who want to go to their show, but I don't think that Trey was sitting around plotting a strategy to make it the hardest ticket to get for NYE.

I think that the downloads are a great idea. As the previous post stated, no one complained about the LivePhish series, and if you substitute the work you must do to download/burn for the price you pay for shipping and packaging, it works out the same - or better! As I (and others) have stated already, no one is forcing anyone to buy any of their products...

Brian.

I wasnt too happy when I read about this, but as Dave-O and Sally have so eloquently reminded me "We live in different times now."

Gone are the days............

Heck, Phish wasnt letting people plug into the board on a regular basis, and certainly werent letting them get leaked out. If you dont want to buy it, dont. Great point Hamilton! How is Axel doing?

As far as LivePhish is concerned, I still have a few issues with some of those choices. They need to hire on someone like DogAtTheStation to choose releases, because over-all, they dont seem to be as strong as some other band I know. I do love some of them though, and I mean love them!

(Dont bother asking me which shows I think arent up to the standards of an official release. I am not trying to provoke a debate of any kind. I feel that way, and so be it. I have too many quality shows that should have been released before some of the ones that have made it. Blane, that 09-12-00 DwD is KICK ASS! Thank you. Some serious TypeII jamming there.)

quote:

Originally posted by Booche:

As far as LivePhish is concerned, I still have a few issues with some of those choices. They need to hire on someone like DogAtTheStation to choose releases, because over-all, they dont seem to be as strong as some other band I know. I do love some of them though, and I mean love them!

I agree - I also have issues with some of the choices, I just meant that no one really complained about the *idea* of releasing live shows. And I don't want to debate which those are either - obviously subjectivity rules in cases like this! [smile]

Brian.

quote:

Ummm.... what does this mean, Steve? Where *should* they have announced their comeback? On one hand, you say that you don't want them to play stadium shows (and I agree 100% with you there), but on the other hand, you complain that "only" 20,000 people can show up.

hmm, i thought my post offered some constructive critisizm (sp) but oh well. How about an airfield or somewhere in the south that all their fans (or at least 100 K) of them could all see the boys return once. Or at least on ppv. that is all.

quote:

And what's with the Trey comment? Did he say that somewhere, or are you just guessing at this? Is there any basis or justification for this? I think that almost any musician would be pleased by the fact that they have so many fans who want to go to their show, but I don't think that Trey was sitting around plotting a strategy to make it the hardest ticket to get for NYE.

Everyone has their own opinion, but mine of this topic is, it was trey's ego to play msg nye. thats ok though. i hear they are playing a full set of Round Room. i'm happy that i'm seeing them in cinci. i'd see phish anywhere, anytime.

quote:

I think that the downloads are a great idea. As the previous post stated, no one complained about the LivePhish series, and if you substitute the work you must do to download/burn for the price you pay for shipping and packaging, it works out the same - or better! As I (and others) have stated already, no one is forcing anyone to buy any of their products...

how about free downloads. i mean their sever speeds are slow, and there is no packaging or distrobution costs, many other bands can offer free sndboards, so can phish. don't want it, don't buy it, but i'm sure we will all be able to download them for free.

Phish makes enuff money, they don't need this. neither do we. oh well.

quote:

Originally posted by secondtube:

Everyone has their own opinion, but mine of this topic is, it was trey's ego to play msg nye.

I don't deny that everyone has the right to an opinion, it's just that opinions need to have a basis of some sort, and I was wondering what it was that lead you to form this opinion?

Anyway, Merry Christmas/ Channukah/ Kwaanza to all!

I certainly don't see alot of complaining here CB...heheh. Just some 'constructive' criticism from secondtube that didn't have anything constructive about it.

I downloaded disc 2 and 3 the other night at 689 KB/sec. Needless to say, that I had each disc in under a 2 minutes.

Seems like the server speeds will be fine when they aren't bottlenecked by free downloads.

But, if you want to see free downloads, you should certainly email them. I sent one in, and suggested that they release a free soundboard every once and a while.

This is a milestone in music delivery IMHO. I think Phish is stepping up to the plate and taking things under their control, and when they do that, it usually comes out real good.

my best example is their ability to put on such huge music events and still keep the porta potties clean