Jambands.ca

Roll Call: Fat Cats at Healy's on Friday

bradm

I'm going to try to get to Healy's on Friday for the Fat Cats. Anybody else? I might be up for some warming up, too, if someone knows a decent (i.e., good beer selection) place nearby.

Also, what show format (# of sets, length, etc.) do the Fatties do? I've got to try and arrange tapes and batteries.

Aloha,

Brad

don't think i'm going to be making this show but here's some info you might find usefull.

sets will be around 60 minutes. fatties aren't workhorses...longest may be the second set, at 75-80 minutes.

Jeff Healey's is a beautiful bar with great sound, but they seem to be crappy towards recording. You won't be able to get a board patch (unless you can work some miracles) and don't even consider asking about getting a video feed (they have video set up on stage, so you can see it on screens throughout the bar).

Other than for that, enjoy.

Oh ya parking it tough to find in the area, so leave early.

And lastly, when i saw the fatties there last time, cover was 10-15 dollars. Don't remember which, but i do remember it wasn't cheap.

AND DON"T BUY THE HEALEY BURGER!!!!!! 9.50 burger, and it was bad!!!!!

But the show will be great.

Wow. The Fatties blew me away last night. The closest comparison would probably be to DoY (with a slightly different lineup: 2 guitars, bass, drums, with shared vocals), but a bit less transitionally jammy; they jammed within songs, but it was more based on short(er) songs than multi-section epics.

If that sounds dismissive, it's not meant to be. The Fat Cats played great, and were a blast to listen to. The first set highlight for me was "Tangled Up In Blue", funked up, 'twas true, which came within earshot (well, my ears, anyway) of "China Cat Sunflower"; the set ended with "Harder They Come" and "Midnight Special" back-to-back, the latter starting just at midnight. The second set was even better, with a segue into and out of "Groove Is In The Heart" (yes, the old Dee-Lite song, with an arrangement just different enough to make me ask, "What is that?" for a second or two), a really good "Not Fade Away", and a "Shakedown Street" encore. (I don't mean to ignore their original songs, because they were also great, but I don't know the names of them. If someone could get me a setlist, I'd appreciate it.)

The bar was packed, and jumping. I managed to get there early, and got a good spot to set up the taping rig, which resulted in me having to dance my way through people every time I wanted to check it. I listened to bits of the tape on the way home, and it sounds about average for my efforts, which is to say pretty good.

It was also cool to meet phunkyb for the first time, and re-meet Jason (whom I didn't remember at first, for which I apologize), Mike from BNB/SpinCycle, and one of the guys from Caution Jam.

If you get the chance (or can make the chance), go see these guys; they're a blast.

Aloha,

Brad

I got a computer a couple of weeks ago, but I still haven't been able to get the SPDIF thing on the sound card to work, so haven't done any transfers (I still have stuff from September that I haven't transferred) yet. It's also not on the 'net. Once I get digital transfers going, I'll be burning copies, offering up B&Ps, and giving them to people who have upload capability. The timeframe is probably mid-January, as I have some things to take care of the first few days after the New Year. [big Grin]

Aloha,

Brad

glad the fatties were rockin' as always.

those songs you told of are pretty much regulars....stuff you can expect at a fatties gig.

i'm curious to the setlist as well.

my fav's are

rosie

sunday mornin

climb

and rotan

the groove in the heart you heard would have been wrapped around Teaspoon, one of their originals..."put your hands down easy, and take it nice and slow....", Its not how fast you get there, its what you got to show, so take all you can get, and get you, out the door.

fatties=good

lyrics=good

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...