Jambands.ca

No American Bands Coming Our Way Anymore...

shainhouse

Metaphysical Jones (MI)

Glowb (MI)

Weathered Tone (MI)

Electric Magi (MI)

Jiant (MI)

Simplicity (MI)

Smokestack (MI)

Causeway (MI)

Peach Melba (OH)

The Shantee (OH)

and many, many more.

I can get in touch, fairly easily, with any of these bands. Some of these bands might do it very cheap, just to get northern exposure. Sometimes it is worth breaking even or even taking a loss just to be heard.

Nomad

I had a good sober time at the Phil show in Toronto. Not the best concert I went to last summer, but it was worth the money. My best show was the Down From The Mountain concert at the Amphitheatre in July - and all of the performers/bands were American too ( except one - Canada's Colin Linden ).

Phil in TO was good on the Fun Factor, but the weakest of the shows I have seen him do, and the ones I have on cd.

Thats the chance you take, and for ANYONE that has only seen him the once, go again, and see him in the US, specially on one of the small Fall or Spring tours. Pure magical power!

I think we need to be realistic about who we try to get up here. Drums & Tuba have played up here 3 times this year (that I know of), selling out the Rivoli the last time they were here, and Lake Trout managed to fill up the CoZo. We need to keep supporting bands that do decide to tour here, and work together to get more bands to give us a shot. There are a lot of bands playing in the US that charge little or no cover. These up and coming bands are working hard to make a name for themselves. I'm sure they'd be happy to come up and play. Remember, Phish played Ottawa in 1994 at the Congress Centre, Jazz Mandolin Project, SCI, Oysterhead and others have all played bars in Toronto recently, and I'm sure other bars and clubs in the area would be happy to establish themselves as the new jam scene. I think if we can eventually make one place a good venue, with a regular rotation of good Can-Jam shows with high attendance at every event, some more up and coming American bands will be willing to come up, and promoters will be more willing to put up the cash. Some bands we should think of:

Raq!!! (sick)

Garaj Mahal (just played Vancouver)

Charlie Hunter

Disco Biscuits (cancelled T.O. last year)

Dark Star Orchestra

Les Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade

Del McCoury Band

Drums & Tuba (keep supporting these guys)

I know that Raq plays a lot of free shows, so why would they turn down a paying gig up here? I think a lot more trading of shows of these bands would help out as well. If more people heard these bands I think there would be a lot more support and interest in seeing them live. And think of the word of mouth some of these American bands could spread down south if some of our local talent opened up for them. nero/Drums & Tuba at the Rivoli was amazing, and hopefully a sign of things to come. If anyone wants to hear some of these bands, give me a shout. Thanks, Jay

www.phishhook.com/lists/PhishRaver

quote:

specially on one of the small Fall or Spring tours. Pure magical power!

Agreed!

Man, see Phil at Shea's PAC Buffalo in the Fall.

11/13/01 was amazing.

Set 1

01. [06:16] Jam >

02. [12:19] Crazy Fingers >

03. [10:19] Friend of the Devil

04. [15:16] Tastes Like Wine >

05. [06:39] Brown Eyed Women

06. [09:48] Rock n Roll Blues > Crazy Fingers Jam >

07. [15:31] Cold Rain and Snow

Set 2

01. [22:18] Scarlet Begonias > Spacey Jam >

02. [10:11] Cumberland Blues