Jambands.ca

Sick Covers

kung

Was it not Ween that does a great cover of stella blue.

In terms of Kevin Breit, he does amazing instrumantals, most notably: every little thing she does is magic, if 6 were 9, some lightfoot tune which name elludes me...

I think it would be hard to find a guitar player in this scene that even comes close to being as gifted as kevin breit....love that dude!!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, Ok- but its too hard at work right now to hum out tunes that would be better as instrumentals. Here are just some good tunes that should see the light of day......

Stones- CYHMKnocking (full version w/ lyrics Trey!)

Neil Young- Walk On

The Band- Stage Fright

Bob Dylan- The Man in Me

David Bowie- Young Americans

Handle w Care- Traveling Wilburys

I'm classic rocked out.

I also think about any of Elton Johns more funky numbers would suit the instrumental cover: Saturday Night, Croc Rock, Take Me to the Pilot etc.....

And I have always thought that nero should cover something from Nirvana. Maybe "In Bloom" or "Love Buzz" for the punk to show off.

I sincerely hope that the Cheese has never and never dares to cover Eminence Front- the Mule however has and they do it justice big time (that song is the ultimate jam tune period plus the actual lyrics are deep and catchy).

The Ween version of Stella Blue is eerily good. If you don't like Ween and love the Dead I suggest you listen to this first. Gener does this song with every ounce of heart Jerry did.

Back to Kevin Breit he seems to be pretty receptive to what's going on around him in terms of covers or teases. He's done a few shows recently with all songs he wrote that day which is a cool concept and one only a monster could pull off. As an extension of that approach I noticed the last time I saw him he was telling a story about Garth Hudson and I mentioned on the setbreak the shows I did with Garth and how he played in a anglican cathedral and on the pipe organ started riffing My Bonnie Lies Over The Ocean (we were in Halifax). So what happens next set in the middle of a tune Breit starts riffing the same thing!!! Tripped me out a touch but made me aware of how receptive great artists are to their audiences (see also the Slip).

And Wish oddly enough The Slip does a cover of Toots 5446 Was My Number there is a version on the Pepper Jacks Hamilton show.

yeah you're right about the Front by The Mule but I am positive I saw it on another bands setlist from last year. Not sure who though.....

And after I posted I think that Panic does Neils Walk On.

Does anyone know if the You're the One from Kimock in Rochester was the Paul Simon tune, or a new SKB song?

S

"Stones- CYHMKnocking (full version w/ lyrics Trey!)"

There have been a few of us waiting for that cover for a looooooooooong time. Not necessarily with Trey, but that tune would be fine by me.

In all honesty, I have felt that Garcia was the consummate musician as far as choice of covers and range of covers. He could really make the song his own, and had that instinctive knack when deciding what tunes he wanted to perform. Sure, over the years, a few may have seemed like bad choices to us (I Fought The Law, ugh), but over-all, no other musician has really affected me in that way (obviously, I am somewhat biased, but I became biased because of this reasoning).

Just listen to Positively 4th Street from one of those Live At The Keystones (cant think of which one it is right now) with Merle Saunders. Then again, I am going to vote him off the island tomorrow for shits and giggles.

I believe you are correct in more ways than one. The Keystone "4th Street" is from Vol. 2 I think.

Also, alot of the mid 70's Jerry side projects wrote the book on how to take a cover and make it ones own. For example the Boogie on Reggae Woman from Legion of Mary 74 and just about any of the covers from the 5.21.75 LofM show.

Sean

Les Claypool covering "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" struck gold in this heart of mine... ::

ISTR nero doing that at one of the CTMFs (Labour Day, 2001, maybe?). It was even more fun given that a Pink Floyd cover band was following them as the headliner on Saturday night...

Aloha,

Brad

Come on people must have more of these. I know all the bands are taking notes. It'd be hard for anyone to pull off but if you want a Stones cover Moonlight Mile is the one. I embarassed to say I hadn't payed attention to that song til Brad Barr told me that the 'hardcom wave' of Honey Melon sort of reminds him of that song: 'with a head full of snow...'

I have to agree with PEIPunk on this on, I too have always wanted to see a band cover Don't Let Me Down. David Bowie's Fame could easily turn any concert into a dance party. Michael Jackson's Wanna Be Starting Something and even the occasional Beach Boys tune could be a lot of fun.

the front by the Mule is certainly justified, as is No Quarter. goddamn !

You're the One is an old Kimock tune that was even played in the Zero days. Oh, and Kimock occasionally does an instrumental Stella Blue which is stellar.

as for the Jerry covers, i think he had great taste too, even into the 90's. Way You Do The Things You Do !

Panic's version of WalkOn is fun if you're there, but doesn't really do the song full justice.

Of course, The Rheostatics doing "Everybody Knows this is Nowhere".

Great call, one of the best covers ever IMHO!!! It's actually the Rheostatics & the Bourbon Tabemacle Choir (GOD I miss those guys - most underrated band EVER!) together on the Neil Young tribute Borrowed Tunes. Trib albums are a hit-and-miss proposition most of the time in my books, but that cover alone makes the two discs well worth it! If you haven't heard this version, check it out. When Kate comes in in the second verse, I could just die right at that moment and all would be right with the world.

I've been listening to a lot of old Genesis lately, and something like "IT" from Lamb Lies Down or an instrumental like "Wot Gorilla" from Wind & Wuthering would be good fun for an old prog-head like me if nero so somebody like that whipped them out, although they don't have the recognizability factor that Kung is talking about, but musically those songs are killer. I've been messing around with playing piano again using "Turn It On Again" & "Behind The Lines" as a starting point 'cus they have these nice simple rhythms with lots of cool chords and extensions and such. Nobody modulates as seamlessly as Tony Banks, half the time you hear those songs you don't even realize they're in 6 keys.

I was listening to Tom Waits on the way in this morning and I couldn't help but here a band with a great female singer (like Freeker, Huxtable or my band) do "Temptation". Probably Holly Cole or somebody has already done and that's why I have it in my head with a woman singing, but anyway it's a wonderful sexy song.

Oh, and Kung was it you or somebody else that brought up "Whiter Shade Of Pale" in little while back? That'd be a great cover for someone to do, although now you've the unfortunate connection with the cel phone ads but that's still a fantasic song as well.

And I got a bit confused there, did Trey actually do "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" or was that just a wishlist thing? If there is actually a version of this, somebody let me know where I can get a copy PLEASE!!!

- M.

On the whole "Eminence Front" thing (probably the best late-era Who tune, IMnsHO), there was a discussion a while back about the best segues you'd like to see bands do, and one of them was:

Eminence Front ->

Voices Inside My Head* ->

Elephant Talk**

* Originally done by The Police.

** Originally done by King Crimson (one of the later line-ups with Adrian Belew)

Now if I could just get a band together who'd be willing and able to do all that...

Aloha,

Brad

Kimock covering Stella Blue on his pedal steel is nothing short of magnificent. Actually, its more breathtaking for me. I also enjoyed The Other Ones covering it in Albany, 2002. That was saweet.

There are so many Police tunes I am into right now. Great cover ideas there. We saw Dereck Trucks in 99 covering Afro Blue for an encore. I wont soon forget that, even though I think I do. When I was 20ish, we went to see this local blues dude playing acoustic git with a stand up bassist. He asked "So, we are in a good mood, what does everybody want us to play?"

I yelled out "Knockin' On Heavens Door!"

He retaliated with "Buddy, dont you think enough bands have covered that?"

Taught me a good lesson in a room full of drunks. None the less, they still played it for me.

Some of my favorites (that I own):

nero - Help-> Slip-> Franklin's (GD)

Jane's Addiction - No Rain (Blind Melon)

Particle - Another Brick In The Wall Pt. 2 (Pink Floyd)

Burt Neilson Band - Money For Nothing (Dire Straits)

Phish - Sea And Sand (The Who)

Smokin' Grass - Are You Experienced? (Jimi Hendrix)

Luther Wright & The Wrongs - Mother (Pink Floyd)

raq - Just Kissed My Baby (The Meters)

nero - Pumpkin (The Tummies) ;)

Jimmy Swift Band - I Ran (So Far Away) (Flock Of Seagulls)

I know I'm forgetting a bunch.

I also remember seeing Soundgarden at Lollapalooza '92 do a cover of Body Count's "Cop Killer", the day the Body Count CD was banned in Canada. Not necessarily a sick cover, but a really good choice at the time and a lot of fun to see...

That Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere is on their Greatest Hits that Chris put together. And I don't think I brought up Whiter Shade of Pale and tend to think that ones been done besides being a great pop song, John Lennon's favourite I gather.

"I also remember seeing Soundgarden at Lollapalooza '92 do a cover of Body Count's "Cop Killer", the day the Body Count CD was banned in Canada. Not necessarily a sick cover, but a really good choice at the time and a lot of fun to see... "

That made me think of Phish covering Terrapin Station (summer 98, the summer of covers) on the third anniversary of Garcia's death. That must have made for one hell of a moment at the start of the encore........

Please Mr Postman is one of my favorite covers the Beatles did as well. Actually, You Really Got A Hold On Me is probably my favorite of theirs.