Jambands.ca

Herbie Hancock Review and Photo's

secondtube

Wow.

Great show last night. I'm not sure how to review a jazz show, as i dont know what is going on half the time...i just sit there with an open mind, and open ears...

He played for 2 hours and 25 minutes, without a setbreak. Six songs were played, plus an encore song. Each song averaged 20 minutes or so...He played a few standards, which i recognized, but mostly stuff that i was unfamiliar with...

My favorite song of the evening was a Spanish Tune he played for his third or fourth song. I'll try to dig up a setlist...but i'm not sure how hard that'll be.

Comparing it to the first two times i've seen herbie, this show was MUCH MUCH more improvised, with lots of spacy interludes.

Very little straight ahead jazz, mostly spacy improv. Great with me!!!!!

A few people have asked me since the show, if he played the funk. Dont quote me on this, but i dont think he's played funk in over 20 years....but i knew that....

Being in the three piece gave Mr. Hancock tons of room to roam free, never really seeming confined to any borders. Dave Holland is by far my favorite bass player, yes, even more so than Victor. For those who are raising they eye brows, you have to hear dave holland play. He's a genious. I've never seen anyone play a fretless, standup, acoustic bass like him.

Makes Wassy from Ratdog (or used to be in RD) look a little silly...Holland is a master.

Jack Dejohnette on drums? Well, what can i say. I've never seen or heard ANY drummer make every note count. Each tap of a cymbol, each movement on the highhat, each one had a purpose...

By FAR the most technical drummer i've ever seen....Moreso than Stu Copeland...(who is still my favorite drummer i've ever witnessed live)

I think Jay you really would have enjoyed watching Jack D. He's a really tallented drummer. Not once did he just kick into a beat off the highhat or the ride....all rhythmic playing...

I was able to take a few pics before i was polity told to put the cam away, no problem. I complied without any arguement...

I think last night was my favorite 'non standard' jazz performance. Its tough to compare it to the Massey Hall 50'th reunion concert, as that was the nestalgia night.

This was a night for Herbie to play was he wanted to play, and damn did he do it well...

He encored with a tune where he played about a five minute opening improvising on the sounds the piano strings make, hitting and resonating the strings using different tapping methods....

Sounded like trippy 70's miles stuff. Talked to my buddy whose seen herbie over 10 times, and said he's never seen herbie do that...i figured it was a common showoff he did at his trio shows....but not so.

Anyways, here's the pics. Hope you enjoy them (if you've read this far...)

017873.jpg

017874.jpg

017875.jpg

017876.jpg

017877.jpg

017878.jpg

THis is a show of Herbie playing the strings on the Piano for encore.

017879.jpg

Steve

Looks like quite the interesting show last night Steve. Especially where Herbie puts his hands in the piano to pluck the strings. I don't regret my decision though to attend the AIR concert, as I've been listening to them a lot lately. And it was surprisingly a very good show.

Oh, I didn't eat them, I sold them to my friend who took me to my first Herbie Show about 10 years ago. I'm sure she had a good time. Knowing that Herbie was coming to Ottawa with Dave Holland and Brian Blade (my fave jazz drummer) this summer made it easier.

And anyways, it's not like I had a choice. I had to work. And I was exactly where I wanted to be! Good times in Ottawa last night for sure.

"Oh, I didn't eat them, I sold them to my friend who took me to my first Herbie Show about 10 years ago"

ahhh......ok

scared me.

ya, i didn't compare the quality of music, just i thought you ate the tix!!!!!!!

i KNOW you had a good time...i just thought it cost you a 100 dollars in eaten tix.

phew!

Nice pics! It was a great show. I didn't realize until last night that Dave Holland & Jack DeJohnette were the bass player and drummer on Miles Davis' Bitches Brew. Does anybody know if the show was taped? I'm guessing it wasn't but i'd love to get a copy.

Hey Steve, I don't know if you ever found the setlist for this show? On Monday I found a review of the show in the Globe And Mail. Here's the songs the reviewer wrote about, I don't know if it's the whole set or not?

1. I Love You (Cole Porter)

2. Watermelon Man (Herbie Hancock)

3. Sonrisa (Hancock)

4. Pathways (Dave Holland)

5. You Got It Bad Girl (Stevie Wonder) Would of loved that!

E. 6. Maiden Voyage (Hancock)

Did they perform only six songs, if so this is the complete set. If you want the review to read, let me know and I'll give it to you the next time we see each other.

Thanks Tim. I thought there were only six songs played...not too bad for two and a half hours straight!

1. I Love You (Cole Porter)

Amazing song to open. I didn't recognize it, but it was outthere, and improvised.

2. Watermelon Man (Herbie Hancock)

hmmm, this song i KNOW, and i knew i recognized the song while it was being played, but it didn't sound anything like any other version i'd heard before....hmmm

3. Sonrisa (Hancock)

This was the spanish song i mentioned above in my review. My favorite song played of the night..

4. Pathways (Dave Holland)

As you can imagine, this had a huge, beautiful, intricate bass intro....worth the whole song

5. You Got It Bad Girl (Stevie Wonder) Would of loved that!

Meh, i thought this was the weakest song played....maybe cause i'm not familiar with the original...

E. 6. Maiden Voyage (Hancock)

Wow! Just fantastic! Perfect way to end the show.