Jambands.ca

What is your ecological footprint?

weezy

CLICK HERE

I thought I was living pretty eco-friendly, damn.

" CATEGORY GLOBAL HECTARES

FOOD 1.1

MOBILITY 0.7

SHELTER 1.7

GOODS/SERVICES 1.8

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 5.3

IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 8.8 GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.

WORLDWIDE, THERE EXIST 1.8 BIOLOGICALLY PRODUCTIVE GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 2.9 PLANETS. "

ouch!

Oooof, eating meat hurts:

CATEGORY GLOBAL HECTARES

FOOD 3.3

MOBILITY 0.8

SHELTER 1.7

GOODS/SERVICES 1.9

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 7.7

IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 8.8 GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 4.3 PLANETS.

CATEGORY GLOBAL HECTARES

FOOD 1.1

MOBILITY 0

SHELTER 0.4

GOODS/SERVICES 0.4

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 1.9

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 1.1 PLANETS.

CATEGORY GLOBAL HECTARES

FOOD 4

MOBILITY 1.9

SHELTER 2

GOODS/SERVICES 3

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 10.9

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 6.1 PLANETS.

CATEGORY GLOBAL HECTARES

FOOD 4.2

MOBILITY 0.6

SHELTER 1

GOODS/SERVICES 2.1

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 7.9

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 4.4 PLANETS.

For every two animals you eat I will eat three.

CATEGORY GLOBAL HECTARES

FOOD 1.8

MOBILITY 0.9

SHELTER 0.5

GOODS/SERVICES 1.1

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 4.3

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 2.4 PLANETS.

Isn't almost everything we eat either processed, packaged or imported? I only eat some fish.....but I know the veggies and fruits I eat are imported (no choice until summer around here) and even the stuff that comes from Canada (like soup or beans) is packaged!?

FOOD 1.1

MOBILITY 0.2

SHELTER 1

GOODS/SERVICES 0.9

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 3.2

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 1.8 PLANETS

FOOD 1

MOBILITY 0.3

SHELTER 0.4

GOODS/SERVICES 0.8

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 2.5

IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 4.1 GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 1.4 PLANETS.

Not bad, no car/license and no meat eating helps.

If everyone lived like me we would need 1.2 planets

I'm not surprised that eating meat would be such a large contributor to some people's footprint but i find it strange that they don't ask you more about where you get the meat you are eating. If you are buying from a grocery store then your results should stand as is - but if folks are raising animals locally, in a small-scale opperation you'd think there should be some way of compensating for that difference.

Regardless this is still an awesome popular ed. tool to reveal how one's lifestyle reflects the planet's ability to provide.

hey weezy...I have friends in the Slocan Valley that offer week long ecological footprint courses during the summer.

Workshops on building environmentally friendly shelters, etc. in order to lesson your footprint here on our planet.

If you ever get Winlaw way, you should look them up! Try the Christopher Spencer Center for info.

CATEGORY GLOBAL HECTARES

FOOD 2.8

MOBILITY 0.8

SHELTER 4.7

GOODS/SERVICES 4.2

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 12.5

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 6.9 PLANETS.

I should really watch what I eat? Although, how am I supposed to get fresh non imported produce in the winter. Start my own hydro farm in my apt. Yeah right. That would just consume more electricity which really doesn't help the environment in the first place. But I digress.

Well, the way I see it, it's OK if people who live in a cold climate (like Canada) consume a bit more and leave a more indented ecological footprint, like the 1.2 to 2 range since theoretically, other people living in very warm climates should be leaving much smaller prints due to a diminished demand for electricity etc. The math should balance out.

Obviously, most Canadians are leaving a footprint much larger than 2, therein lies the problem, but balance seems possible judging by some people on this board who appear to be consuming responsibly.

Yeesh. I'm embarrassed.

FOOD 4

MOBILITY 0.6

SHELTER 2

GOODS/SERVICES 2

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 8.6

CATEGORY GLOBAL HECTARES

FOOD 4

MOBILITY 1.1

SHELTER 0.8

GOODS/SERVICES 2

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 7.9

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 4.4 PLANETS.

Well I did the test again and fared a little better. It seems that if your a vegan, eating all natural food, you live in shack with no electricity, don't own a vehicle and walk everywhere you basically are a good human. Otherwise you suck!

Ok enough sarcasm. I don't want to start a debate here I just wanted to point out that the test is biased. But aren't most of these tests?

I digress.

However I agree it's important to look at your habits. Eating, waste, transportation and so on and decide what can be changed for the good of the earth. I don't know if I ever will have kids but I have wonderful neice and I would like to see her grow up in eco friendly world.

That's my 2 cents.

c23

Y'know, I think they should take into account the fact that I don't have kids. Having kids is way worse for the environment than eating a few dozen cows. They could have a SPAWN category, 1 kid 5 points, two kids 25 points and spiral it up exponentially from there.