Jambands.ca

Great Bela Fleck show tonight

Palms

Whenever I see a show of this caliber I am both awestruck and inspired. An amazing band!

Thanks to Briguy for making it happen!

Great to see so many Skanks and familiar faces out to the show, mixed in with a bunch of other people. It was lots of fun for me watching the faces of people who have never seen this band before ... I saw that "oh my goodness, I can't believe what I'm seeing and hearing" look a number of times as I scanned the crowd. Personally, it wasn't the best Béla Fleck and the Flecktones show I've been to, but it was still awesome and it was a huge treat to see the band in such a small venue, surrounded by many friends and familiar faces. And there is no denying that the musicians in this band are simply amazing! And Victor Wooten still makes me shake my head and think about what it means to play the bass guitar.

Thanks to Wi!!y and Leanne for the amazing hospitality, to Mike and Sharon for making the drive from Ottawa (love you both and it's been too long), to the Sloth for suprising me by being at Wi!!y's before the show, to MK for sharing the exciting news about your new job (congrats!), to Pablo Sanchez and Lara for being at the show (a nice surprise for me!), to Kung for the fanning action (and yes, that was a hilarious moment at the side bar), to Fretman and Lisa for being a part of the festivities at Wi!!y and Leanne's (Fretman can sure play the bass and guitar), to Paisley for the stories and laughs, to Meggo for the visit at Wi!!y and Leanne's (really nice to talk with you ... happy summer festival vibes to you and good luck with the teaching travel adventure plans), to Sheikyerbouti for the positive vibes and conversation (it's been too long!), to Mich (spelling???) for the short but sweet visit, and on and on and on it goes ...

Once again I shake my head at how fortunate I am to be a part of all of this ...

Peace, Mark

Hey folks,

Just want to say thanks for coming out to the show. It was amazing to see all of you there. Thanks for the kind words. Many great moments and so many fabulous people. Wish I had time to write more but I have to go for now.

Great pics!!!

Cheers

all i can really say about last night is "wow"... im speechless, to date i think it was the best show ive been to yet... the whole band was incredible and unique in their own ways but id hafta say that victor was deffinately the show for me... hope to see them in the area again soon...did someone mention jazz fest??

peace, nellie

Well, I don't know what more can be said that hasn't already been said, except that the one distinct difference I felt between this and previous BF&F shows I've seen was that the band seemed to be playing more together as a band than what I see usually, as four individual members doing much soloing and coming together periodically. Not that either way is better, but I believe that their proximity on a smaller stage lead to a tighter interaction. It was a fabulous show, and long enough that I could get in the "hey's" and "hello's" and still catch lots of the show. It's a great feeling to walk into a room of 700-800 people and feel like you know half of them (perhaps not that many, but it sure felt like that at times). A friend of mine had expressed his surprise earlier in the night at my intention of going to the show solo. But much of the beauty of this scene for me is that I might arrive solo (on my own rather relaxed schedule), but feel instantly like I'm in a room full of friends. Thanks to everyone for sharing this vibe...I couldn't think of a more beautiful group of people to share them with :)

Anyway, the one thing I did notice missing from this thread was the setlist, that the lighting tech was so kind as to pass along to me, as follows -

Bela Fleck & The Flecktones - 04/20/2004

Club 77, Hamilton

Next

Bil Mon

Scratch

3/4

Futch/Bela

Off the Top

Poindexter

Vic/Jeff

Sleeper

Heidi

Sherpa

Bela

Moment

Turns out, they fell off the sheet of paper for I believe just the encore which I neglected to get from the light guy.

Thanks again Brian for all your hard work and efforts on this show, and I hope your Earth Day gigs are just as satisfying. Out of curiosity, did you end up having to chase their bus to give Victor back his effects pedals?

BTW nellie, Bela Fleck & The Flecktones are scheduled to play Toronto Jazzfest Wednesday, June 30th and Ottawa Jazzfest both Friday and Saturday, July 2nd and 3rd, 2004 - wow ::

What a fantastic show. We just finally stopped partying this morning. I'm completely beat. Thanks for bringing this to us Brian! Thanks to everyone for such a great time. Bouche, Ms. Hux, Sloth, Tonin, Fretman, Meggo, Shakeyourbooty, et cetera. You all know who you are and I love the lot of you.

Now, let's be serious and get a copy of the recording up here!

I was giddy with joy after this show. I still am....

Was also nice to see so many familiar faces :) I was overwhelmed by the musicianship and energy. When we arrived and people asked if we'd be partying, I replied that for once I was only there for the music (it was a work with impressionable children the next day thing...)

I was not disappointed. This goes into 'the book' as one of the most memorable shows ever.