Jambands.ca

MMW & The Roots to support 311's summer tour...

eDDie mAx

...according to 311.com, this is very exciting news for me since I've been on a massive 311 kick for the past year and half. I saw these guys last year in Michigan for the first time when G-Love (who is awesome live also) opened. I can only use 1 word to describe the show, ELECTRIC! These guys have some serious energy, they combine funk, rock, reggae, ska, jazz, dub and hip-hop styles into this totally unique style. Some of their songs are on the heavier side but I like to think of heaviness in "good" and "bad" terms and these guys fall under the "good" category. Not to mention that they throw incredible back beats under their heaviness which makes it really cool. I was actually surprised to see a posse of trips at the show all wearing Bonnaroo shirts and they were loving it. It's evident that one of Tim Mahoney's (lead guitar) main influences is Jerry Garcia, you can hear it in his licks and the sounds he uses. Every year on March 11 (311 day) they have a big show, this year it was in New Orleans and they did 2 sets, 5 hours in total and the first set was exactly 3 hours and 11 mins long. They even did a cool version of D'yer Maker which you can download at 311heaven.com. So if you're interested in getting into something a little different, I highly recommend these guys. Peace

p.s. at 311.com you can hear some of their tunes on the player, check out: All Mixed Up, 8:16am and Amber for starters. ;)

Kung, they're a grassroots band from Omaha, Nebraska and moved to L.A. to make it. Which they did. They've been around for about 13 years and developed a strong following down south. They're getting pretty big now due to that version of "Love Song" they did for the 50 First Dates soundtrack that Adam Sandler personally asked them to do.

Chewie - 311's got the herb. ::

well, right now, its the 'car cd'.

i usually just keep one cd in the car, and play it over and over until i get sick of it. sometimes i'll keep the same cd in the car for over a month.

i've had 311 in for almost three weeks....i love the diversity of the music. i'm not sure how much i like the flow to the cd, but maybe thats the point...its always changing...

definately a lot of jerry licks going on....

the drummer is tight.

how long has the band been around? (*edit, nevermind)

(and mmw are opening for them, wow...)

i was a HUGE 311 fan all through highschool, and had a chance to catch these guys at the Opera House back in '99... christ!! '99???? i didnt realize it had been that long... anyways, they were fucking unstoppable on stage. i still havent seen a band play with as much energy as they did. although i've gotten into different sounds over the years, they're still a big part of my "musical upbringing" and i still recommend seeing 'em live. if anyone is interested, the self-titled album is my favourite, its got the blue cover with just the cool lookin 311 logo on the front.

great stuff, that sounds like it'll a kickass show..

ps: after that show in '99 we hightailed it back to hamilton and hit up a kickass Burt show at La Luna.. driving home back to london i was so tired, i kinda dozed a bit, and front end of my car just about ended up underneath a transport... dont know how/why i woke up, but i figure one day maybe i'll make a great contribution to the world... hahaha... at any rate, it was a great fuckin nite of tunes... not one that i'd want to die for, but great nevertheless...

Steve, that disc I made you is actually a mix of songs I thought you'd like. It's better to get started on their mellower, funkier stuff in order to appreciate their heavier stuff. Check out the song Omaha Stylee on 311.com on the player...been hooked on that one for awhile.

I also dont think it is wrong for MMW to open for 311 at all. I also dont agree with people who think it is wrong for Keller Williams to open for DMB. Why is it so bad for Keller to open up for DMB? Just cause people dont like them doesnt mean Keller cant play to their crowd, which i am part of, and very excited to see Keller and DMB. I dont see anything wrong with it.

It's not that it's wrong. People are just disappointed is all. It really sucks when a band you really like is opening for a band you really don't like and it costs $75 to get in! I don't think Dave Matthews is terrible but he's clearly WAAAYYY... overated. Keller has more talent in his left foot than Dave has in his whole body. I think the same thing goes for MMW and 311, it's not wrong that these artists want to diversify their audiance. It's just disappointing to their main audiance of "stinky hippies" that don't want to see a mosh pit at a MMW show or 10'000 teenage girls screaming and crying at a Keller Williams show.

Newrider, I see your point although I disagree with it totally. When I saw G-Love open up for 311, the people loved them and there was no moshing going on while they were playing. 311 and G-Love are totally different styles. People aren't going to mosh to a non-moshable band. I highly doubt people will be moshing for MMW or The Roots for that matter, but will appreciate them and be getting down nonetheless. Besides, from the 311 show I was at there wasn't much moshing going on, just some occasional crowd surfers. A 311 crowd i noticed, just likes to jump to the beat as 1 organism. Shows like these are about bringing artists and music lovers together. 311's not a hate band, their music's actually pretty positive. To each their own.

I'll admit I'm pretty ignorant to 311 because I haven't heard a thing they've done since 1997. The moshing thing was just an exaggeration, didn't mean to be rude or anything. Needless to say, it's still disappointing to see a band you love open for someone else you don't care to see. But, whatever I'm sure it will be a great show.