Jambands.ca

Today in history......

Blurry

Today in 1564 William Shakespeare was born......he also died on this day in 1616.

Happy birthday fucker.....thanks for making my life hell in high school. Why didn't you just make Coles notes from the get-go?

Also........

1851 - the first Canadian postage stamp was issued

1956 - Elvis Presley made his Las Vegas debut, opening for comedian Shecky Greene. Presley's 2-week engagement was cancelled after a week because of poor audience response.

Apr 23 33

According to Christian tradition, Jesus Christ is raised from the dead, after being crucified three days prior.

Apr 23 1940

198 negroes are killed when the Rhythm Night Club burns down in Natchez, Mississippi. According to one eyewitness: "Everyone was trying to get out and crushing each other as the fire was burning them. All were crying and yelling and after a while I could smell the burning meat. I hope I never see anything like it again." The fire is blamed on the decorative but highly-combustible Spanish moss.

Apr 23 1951

Lenny Bruce is arrested in Miami Beach, Florida for fraudulently soliciting funds for a leper colony while dressed as a priest.

Apr 23 1969

Sirhan Sirhan sentenced to death for assassinating Robert Kennedy.

Apr 23 1975

Peter Ham of Badfinger suicides at age 27, by hanging himself. Another bandmate, Tom Evans, suicides later in 1983.

Apr 23 1983

The West German magazine Stern announces a major historical find: the discovery of 60 volumes of personal diaries purported to have been handwritten by Adolf Hitler.

Apr 23 1985

The Coca-Cola Bottling Company announces that it has irrevocably changed the formula for its flagship beverage, unveiling "New Coke." The company stands firm on its decision until public pressure finally forces them to reintroduce the original drink, exactly 79 days later.

Apr 23 1985

The Coca-Cola Bottling Company announces that it has irrevocably changed the formula for its flagship beverage, unveiling "New Coke." The company stands firm on its decision until public pressure finally forces them to reintroduce the original drink, exactly 79 days later.

yay public

"New Coke" sucked, hope they turfed whoever had that bright idea out on their ass (probably working for Hamilton City Council)