Jambands.ca

New Phish Album -Undermind- inside...

secondtube

It's not *that* bad, but I agree it's not that hot. It's got a "Remain In Light" fell to it.

Apparently this is the track listing:

Scents and Subtle Sounds (Intro)

Undermind

The Connection

A Song I Heard the Ocean Sing

Army of One

Crowd Control

Maggie's Revenge

Nothing

Two Versions of Me

Access Me

Scents and Subtle Sounds

Tomorrow's Song

Secret Smile

Grind

Also, 1st run has a 25 minute bonus DVD. Of what, I dunno. ::

I can't wait to hear their new album!

You know MarcO, you really should have made this New Year's resolution, 'one to read'

The first pressing of the album will include a special bonus DVD of the 26 minute short film "Specimens of Beauty", directed by longtime Phish photographer Danny Clinch, that chronicles the recording of the album in Vermont.

Found a review on PT, via Amazon:

Undermind is a fresh collection of tightly focused pop tunes from the ever-surprising Phish. It is their most accessible album, yet manages to be engaging without sacrificing the innovation that is the band’s hallmark. Undermind captures the band in a state of near-perfect harmony, figuratively and literally, making every second count with taut, bristling arrangements. The album features pop nuggets, tinges of funky rock and gospel, skewed romantic humor, and, of course, fans of the band’s more complex and improvisational side will find plenty to celebrate, as the band stretches out on several evocative tracks. The first single, "The Connection," is streamlined, melodic gem that features shimmering harmonies. Undermind was produced by Tchad Blake, who has worked with Los Lobos, Sheryl Crow, Elvis Costello, and many others. Initial orders will include a limited edition bonus DVD featuring behind-the-scenes footage of the making of the album.

And there's this:

Billboard Article

Phish Become Free Agents

With a new album and summer tour on the horizon, veteran jam band Phish finds itself in the uncommon position of being a musical free agent. "Undermind," due June 15 via Elektra/Atlantic, fulfills Phish's contract with the label for which it has recorded its entire career.

"We either re-sign with them and it's great, or you just let the contract go and say, 'See you later,' and see what else is out there," drummer Jon Fishman tells Billboard. "Or you just don't have a label. I think any scenario would work for us."

Ironically, "Undermind" is the group's first release for the newly merged Elektra/Atlantic label group. Fishman says he's excited by the changes at the label, saying the old Elektra "never really worked out well for us. It always felt like they wanted us to be different, and this is who we are."

However, he admits, "it's a two-way street. For our part, we were very unattentive and unresponsive to their promotion ideas. None of us were very comfortable sitting in Tower Records signing autographs or playing three minutes on the air."

"Undermind" is the follow-up to 2002's "Round Room" and was produced by the band with Tchad Blake. Tracks include "Secret Smile" (with string arrangements by composer/arranger Maria Schneider) and first single "The Connection," which goes to U.S. radio outlets on May 24.

"I will be surprised if it doesn't catch fire," Fishman enthuses about the lead track. "I don't think it will be a boom bang hit like something from [OutKast's] 'Speakerboxxx[/'The Love Below'], but I could really see it striking a chord."

Phish's summer tour kicks off with a June 17-18 stand at KeySpan Park in Brooklyn, N.Y. Fishman says one of the shows will be simulcast at select movie theaters.

-- Melinda Newman, L.A.

I like this nugget: the cd was mixed at Real World studios in England, which is owned by Peter Gabriel, who makes a point of listening to everything that goes through it. He apparently sent the band a note saying how much he loved the album.

I'd say that's a pretty fine endorsement! ::

If you want to hear "The Connection", wmvy radio will be playing it at 4:20pm today.

www.mvyradio.com

great station, btw. Talking Heads, The Grateful Dead, Steve Earle, Lucinda Williams, Ashley MacIsaac, Bb Dylan, all in the last hour! Now they're playing Steely Dan's "Deacon Blues". I tune in everyday. ::

Ahhh Deacon Blues the ode to the faded hipster- hell it's practically my theme song. I am excited to hear Gabriel liked it. I think fishman might be being naive to think that suddenly radio is going to pick up on them- although I'd love to see fish shake it like a polaroid picture.

Guest Low Roller

895CD-1.gif

I thought I'd just paste a copy of the cover here for visual reference.

This cover was obviously designed using Adobe Photoshop. I've seen worse covers though:

d13136h611n.jpg

If you want to hear "The Connection", wmvy radio will be playing it at 4:20pm today.

www.mvyradio.com

great station, btw. Talking Heads, The Grateful Dead, Steve Earle, Lucinda Williams, Ashley MacIsaac, Bb Dylan, all in the last hour! Now they're playing Steely Dan's "Deacon Blues". I tune in everyday. ::

Cool station man, thanks! Any station that plays SCI is good with me! :)