Jambands.ca

YES @ Air Canada Centre Friday May 7th 8pm

Buffy420

I saw these guys once... at Kingswood/Wonderland...

I thought that it sucked... i was very weirded out by the lead singer who was tell the crowd about the "love that's in the air" he was pure cheeze...

I caught their encore from the parking lot "OWNER OF A LONELY HEART" not really that great a song.

I'll be there on Friday night. This will be my seventh YES concert and they are one of my all time favorite bands. I've seen three different incarnations of Yes and this is their definitive line-up, with the return of Rick Wakeman. Every player is a master at his instrument and Jon Anderson hasn't lost a step vocally.

I remember last year there were rumours that Yes was going to co-headline a tour with The Dead. It's a good thing for The Dead that this tour didn't happen. Yes would have blown The Dead off the stage each and every night.

I remember last year there were rumours that Yes was going to co-headline a tour with The Dead. It's a good thing for The Dead that this tour didn't happen. Yes would have blown The Dead off the stage each and every night.

That's not saying much though, is it?(Oooooh.... I'm gonna hear about this!)

you know I'll be there Buffy, ...T.O and Auburn Hills!!!

Yes is my all-time fave!!(with this current line-up anyways)

...the line-up Jaydawg would have seen at wonderland was the other (80's-early 90's) incarnation of yes, this is a totally different band, in my opinion, just the singer and bass player in common....although i can see your point on the "love is in the air" part, he is very spiritual, his voice is magical at times.

I was checking out some reviews on yesworld.com last night

sounds like its gonna be a cool show, with an acoustic set, and some really old songs I havnt seen them do live before!!

check out this yes review

Venue: Ft. Lauderdale, FL, April 30

Posted by: Gordon (gjahnig@msn.com)

Just got back from the Ft. Lauderdale show, and it was an amazing, magical night. The boys were in excellent form! The setlist was the same as in the most recent shows, so I'll hit the highlights as there were many.

Opening with the Firebird Suite, the curtains raised, the bird, claw, whatever started to rise and the band kicked into a rousing version of Going For The One. Unlike other reviews, the sound was perfect. Everything crystal clear right from the get go. Sweet Dreams had an almost anthem feel to it. Your Move/I've Seen All Good People, a given in most Yes shows, was nothing spectacular but still welcome to hear again. Mind Drive Part One - great. South Side Of The Sky blew me away. The lick swapping between Steve and Rick was everything other reviewers had said it was! Jon's voice was simply angelic on Turn Of The Century. Lastly in the first set, Yours Is No Disgrace didn't dissapoint.

At the intermission, some guy came up to me and said that Steve wasn't all that impressive. I said, are you watching the same show I am?? Steve was nailing everything in sight, as were all the members. They have aged really well.

The Second Set was the acoustic set. From reading the other show reviews, I was cautious but curious. Let me tell you, THE ACOUSTIC SET IS KILLER!!!! The Meeting and Long Distance Runaround were cool. Time Is Time was absolutely stirring, with Steve on Dobro guitar. Wonderous Stories - wonderous! And then the much talked about new version of Roundabout. The boogie-woogie version is not to be missed. It's that good! Jon and Chris explained that Rick came up with the idea for the new arrangement. Just like the other reviewers mentioned - they must get tired playing the same stuff year after year. This was fun!

Rhythm Of Love followed the acoustic set, and while it was strange seeing Steve with a Stratocaster, he brought a new feeling to the song. Like Sweet Dreams earlier, ROL had that arena/anthem quality.

And You And I brought tears to my eyes. I try to think of myself as a pretty together guy, but the emotion I felt during AYAI was something I couldn't hold back. That what this whole show was about for me - emotion! Same goes for the last song in the regular set - Ritual.

Encores were Every Little Thing and Soon. Some people have said that they didn't like having Soon (the last movement in Gatesd Of Delerium) end the show. I think it brings a certain closure to the event. And that what this show was - an event not to be missed! And although I would have liked to hear some of the epics like Close To The Edge, Gates, Awaken, and even something from Tormato, I thought the song selection was perfect. Like I said before, DONT MISS THIS SHOW!!!

I'm envious of you folks, I've seen the 90125 TOur and ABWH live but not not current, definitive lineup (actually I have always viewed them as having 3 main lineups : Close To The Edge, Going For The one (the current lineup) and 90125). I've heard recent live performances ... Jon Anderson may be a hippie buddhist (not that there is anything wrong with that) but he has, go figure, actually gotten better as he has gotten older ... which is particularly amazing for a high tenor.

RnB

that will be a cool show... last time I saw them was somewhere in New York as "An Evening of Yes Music" with Bill Bruford on the bass and most of the original line-up

enjoyed it a lot... great original songs, super talented players

Bill Bruford on the bass? That must have been a special show, since Bruford is a drummer ;)

RnB

smartass

damn memory for names ::

actually I think Bruford was playin too (remember seeing it on the bill) and then also King Crimson's earlier bass player, tall guy with a shaved head

Tony Levin ... that would make it an Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe show (from the brief time when Anderson had left Yes in the late 80s) ... they would all later briefly join up with the 90125 band for the 8 man lineup for the Union album and tour. Levin is back with KC, FWIW.

Cheers,

RnB

geek

right ons, love to see that line-up for Crimson (got to meet Trey Gunn after the KC show at Massey Hall with Adrien Below (sp?) and their new drummer, Pat... great guys)

always wondered why people looked at me funny when I brought up Bruford playin bass for Yes ::

anytime anyone gets a chance to see Crimson they should definately go... unreal

and oh yeah, Yes thread!

show will likely be awesome

Hey paisly, King Crimson are amazing in all their forms, I feel the same way about Yes too.

In Crimson currently it's Robert Fripp (obviously) on guitar, Adrian Belew (spelt correctly) on guitar, Trey Gunn on Warr guitar, rubber bass, fretless Warr guitar and Pat Mastelotto on drums. I've seen this line up of Crimson three times, unfortunately I missed the '95 tour where they had two bass players and two drummers. The other two were Bill Bruford on drums (who was the original Yes drummer) and Tony Levin on stick bass (who was the bassist you saw during the ABWH tour paisley).

This current Yes line up is as definitive as they come with Chris Squire on bass, Jon Anderson on vocals, Steve Howe on guitar, pedal steel, Rick Wakeman on keyboards and Alan White on drums.

Unfortunately I've never seen Bill Bruford and wished he was in this current line up, but I don't want to put White down, he is a great drummer too. And since White took Bruford's place in 1973 he has been a mainstay in Yes.

Actually, Trey Gunn has recently announced he is leaving King Crimson ... Tony Levin is returning to replace him.

While I do think that Bruford is, perhaps, a more skilled drummer, it is my opinion that Alan White is more suited to the Yes style ... he is a bit more wide screen, while Bruford is more suited to the subtleties of King Crimson.

RnB

proghead