Jambands.ca

Thursday at Dekcuf

Velvet

I keep raving about these guys and never see any of you at the shows.

The John Henry's are at the Cafe Dekcuf on Thursday. They're a really good alt-country band, with songwriting that will blow you away. Their last show was at Dekcuf and was a really good time with a great crowd. Get out there and see 'em if you can.

Cool website too, though Thursday's show isn't listed yet.

www.thejohnhenrys.com

I'm sure they'd be cool with taping. I'll be talking to them tonight, if there's no taping I'll let you know.

Thanks. At the very least, I can tape the show, and (just) give it back to them on audio CD, to do with what they want; if they're cool with trading/uploading, I can start to spread it around, otherwise I won't do anything else except give it to the band.

(And if you could find out what the order is on Thursday night, that'd help a bit. Thanks again.)

Aloha,

Brad

The Dekcuf Calendar also lists "Layiterslayit" and "Little Miss Moffat"; do you have any info on them?

I did a bit of digging, and turned up:

Little Miss Moffatt looks like a transplanted-to-the-East Coast solo singer/songwriter, in the "heart melting" category.

Layiterslayit, on the other hand, is, as near as I can tell, an Ottawa punk band.

I can understand pairing LMM and The John Henrys, but a fuzzyguitarpunkband? Well, I doubt it'll be boring...

Aloha,

Brad

Wow. I'm now an official fan of The John Henrys; they flat blew me away last night. Yes, there's a countrish tinge to their stuff, but they make their music with such conviction, force, and skill that it doesn't matter. I wouldn't be surprised if they'd never heard the term "jamband", but what I heard last night reminded me of BNB gone honky-tonk.

Little Miss Moffat was good, too: straight-up coffee-house-type solo singer/songwriter stuff, done well and with a sense of humour.

(I didn't stay for Layiterslayit, deciding instead to go muffining.)

I taped LMM and TJH, but I haven't listened to them yet; I'm hopeful they came out, esp. TJH, as this show needs to be heard by people.

Thanks, Velvet (who was absent, for a reason unknown to your humble scribe), I'm going to watch out for these guys.

Aloha,

Brad

Glad you had a good time Brad. I just listened to a copy of their forthcoming cd and it's a damn fine record. Good band, for sure.

I guess I never mentioned that I wasn't going. I was up at a cabin near Maniwaki. Almost died today - I'm sore all over, but I feel better for it.

Little Miss Moffat was good, too: straight-up coffee-house-type solo singer/songwriter stuff, done well and with a sense of humour.

(I didn't stay for Layiterslayit, deciding instead to go muffining.)

I saw Little Miss Moffat in Ptbo and in Hamilton last month with BA Johnston.. I really enjoyed her tunes! She crashed at our house in ptbo for the night and we got a free album for it. =) Did she have her band in toe? The shows that I saw, her band consisted of Mark Bragg & The Black Wedding Band (fine musicians all of 'em).