Jambands.ca

CanJam Community - Bands & Promoters - updated

keither

Agreed.

That was the initial plan... to have a CanJam Festival made up entirely of CanJam talent.

All the acts would get a couple of performance slots (1 daytime slot, 1 evening or late-night) over the course of the 3 days (Friday: 7 pm - 4 am, Saturday: noon - 4 am, Sunday: noon - 4 am, Holiday Monday: get outta here so we can clean up & go home).

We were looking at only having 2 stages for people to bounce back & forth between. It would simplify scheduling and people's focus... which can be spotty at festivals such as this.

The most important thing was to keep the production costs (and in turn, the ticket costs) to an affordable medium.

If we got ALL the CanJam talent together for one raging festival, would that not be worth the road trip... sans 'headliners'?

surely, guess all I could recommend would be having an equal representation of west coast favorites and east coast favorites... if nero, grand theft bus, hiway freeker, fat cats, burt neilson, diesel dog, jimmy swift, etc are playing you'll be much more likely to have a strong traveling crowd from the east

be nice to have a "Center" festival held somewhere right near the middle of Canada geographically making it equally easy/difficult for people from either coast... or somewhere like the Banff area

just thinkin out load

yup, that would be central

had a buddy who's mum moved up to northern Manitoba and it sounded pretty nice, lots of trees and all

you'd figure there's be somewhere with enough space out there in the land of BIG SPACE for such a gathering (was mentioning north where there's some trees as shade can be a much valued commodity if you're looking for some afternoon peace after a long long night of festivity)... water'd be good too

headliners shmeadliners...moe. shmoe...

I realize that my reading comprehension is questionable and admittedly I have been skimming this thread like a stone skipping cross a pond but isn't this whole discussion about canadian talent...like keither said...keep costs down and have all the bands out that you want to have that can make it out...

that is to reaise the question: is a reasonably priced well organized Canadian music festival of what I'd like to call INTERESTING!!! dance music(with workshops! combining people in bands who'd like to jam with other people in other bands a la Hillside festival)a viable option.?..

do we need big names to get people to attend...isn't life just a big assed party with a lot of good music anyways...who needs names...we're just looking to party with like minded folk wwho know how to have a good time...

Phish Shmish...Dead Shmead

Hey....I haven't even heard of me and I am me ...a rose by any other name would smell as sweet (If I could only rmember to wipe my ass)...Nuff said for today... Now...I'm going to go fire my whole publicity staff (me)....Peace!

P.S. Yeah...I do go on...

Thank you Jim,

I wanted to say somthing many posts back about the whole suppose to be Canadian thing,but knowing better I didn't,glad to see somone speak up about this,even better its one of the bands listed to boot.If I had said that you know it would have started a big problem.

Fuck the US bands (at least for this fest anyway)...they got enough fests to play at,if people figure all Canadain isn't a draw for them,then too bad,go to Cash-a-roo for your US band fix,we need somthing that is [color:"red"]distinctly Canadian for once,somthing bigger then what we usually have,what we usually have is still great though,but I'd like to see a showcase of the Canadian bands.

Not only would having a all Canadian fest kick ass,but it would also employ Canadians and keep our dollar in the pockets of our people and aid our community.Also I think promoing an all Canadian fest would have a draw,theres alot of folks outside our scene that would come just because of that don't kid yourself.The jam scene isn't such a secret like many folks seem to think.

My two cents...

There's no question about it... if you want the nicest weather, mountain views, fresh water and starry nights you're best bet is somewhere 'round the Rockies in BC or Alberta. A friend of ours has a huge amount of land South-West of Kamloops that is our currently preferred venue. There would be on-site camping, swimming, fishing (water activities)... and plently of breathtaking views. In the summer it gets hot, but not a 'too hot' or 'damp' heat... just your typical BC summer weather around 25-30C or so.

It's not the most centrally located venue, but it's what we know and are confident in putting together successfully. Guess we just have to make the lineup and festivities worthy of a lengthy road trip, eh?

Well make a line-up outta what ya have listed (obviously all of them is a bit much),throw in the mountians,fine herb,smilin & dancin'[color:"red"]Canadaians & Canadian music and I'll bet you get a great draw.

I'd make the voyage,fuck..I may not come back.

Wasn't trying to steal away the point of it being an all Canadian event... Quite the opposite... Someone raised the issue of the costs involved for a band from either coast to travel a long distance. Not to mention travel costs for fans... I'm all for attending a festival with nothing but homegrown talent, but I don't think I would travel to BC to do it... I'm sorry if that sounds like I'm not dedicated, but the required time off work, plus travel costs make this a highly unlikely possibility. Especially considering that the headliners for this event, for the most part, tour through this part of the country on a semi-regular basis. I think the idea of adding a "big name" Canadian or American band got brought up to find a common ground for fans from across the country to find it "worthwhile" to travel for this. This would also allow a slightly higher (though still reasonable) ticket price, meaning more cash for the bands. I remember Neil Young's name being brought up, then the idea of trying to get a couple of American bands who supported the scene up here by touring in Canada started being tossed around. nero, JSB, GTB, BNB, Slammin' Jack, themasses, Wassabi, etc. are definately worth seeing at a festival, I just can't justify driving 4000+km to see that festival. Especially when I can see most of those bands for under $10 close to home... Adding a "big name" act will sweeten the deal for a lot of people from coast to coast. Neil Young would kick ass, as would a lot of other Canadian acts.

My comments had nothing to do with your post oir comments.

You may not justify the drive,but I would drive just to hang out...matter of being an individual I guess.

The appeal to me would be seeing all those bands together at one place,somthing I can't do close to home....

Was simply my thoughts on the topic.

Another idea, one that was thrown around a few years ago that I thought was a good one, is to have a travelling festival, with one show in the West, one in Ontario, and one on the East coast. Each event would include the same core group of bands, and the same basic setup, with some variation to include acts that are more local in nature.

I'd definitely be willing to help with an event of this nature.

Peace, Mark

If we're talking about keeping it strictly Canadian talent, I would suggest diversifying - going beyond the bands that are so regularly pigeon-holed as "jam bands" to include those bands that we know fit into the mould but have been able to shake the word. Err, maybe that doesn't describe all the bands I'm thinking of, but I would suggest bringing in some of this kind of stuff:

Crazy STrings

Creaking Tree String Quartet

Ken Whiteley

Whiteley Brothers reunion??

Luther Wright & The Wrongs

Kevin Breit & Sisters Euclid

The Unintended

The Sadies

Cuff The Duke

Broken Social Scene?

Manitoba

DJ _______ (TO guy who won the most recent World DMC Championship)

Pocket Dwellers

DJ Fase

WE NEED MOSES MAYES

Neil YOung would seal the deal.