Jambands.ca

Mexican Airforce Releases UFO video.

Stapes

Mexico Releases Video Of Objects Surrounding Military Plane

POSTED: 6:23 AM EDT May 12, 2004

UPDATED: 10:31 AM EDT May 12, 2004

3295282_200X150.jpg

MEXICO CITY -- Mexican air force pilots filmed 11 unidentified flying objects in the skies over southern Campeche state, a Defence Department spokesman confirmed Tuesday.

A videotape made widely available to the news media Tuesday shows the bright objects, some sharp points of light and others like large headlights, moving rapidly in what appears to be a late-evening sky.

The lights were filmed March 5 by pilots using infrared equipment. They appeared to be flying at an altitude of about 3,500 metres and allegedly surrounded the air force jet as it conducted routine anti-drug trafficking vigilance in Campeche. Only three of the objects showed up on the plane's radar.

"Was I afraid? Yes," said radar operator Lieut. German Marin in a taped interview made public Tuesday.

"A little afraid because we were facing something that had never happened before."

"I couldn't say what it was...but I think they're completely real," added Lieut. Mario Adrian Vazquez, the infrared equipment operator.

Vazquez insisted there was no way to alter the recorded images.

The plane's captain, Maj. Magdaleno Castanon, said the military jets chased the lights "and I believe they could feel we were pursuing them."

When the jets stopped following the objects, they disappeared, he said.

A Defence Department spokesman confirmed Tuesday the videotape was filmed by members of the Mexican air force. The spokesman declined to comment further and spoke on customary condition of anonymity.

The video was first aired on national television Monday night then again at a news conference Tuesday by Jaime Maussan, a Mexican investigator who has dedicated the last 10 years to studying UFOs.

"This is historic news," Maussan said.

"Hundreds of videos (of UFOs) exist, but none had the backing of the armed forces of any country...The armed forces don't perpetuate frauds."

Maussan said Secretary of Defence Gen. Ricardo Vega Garcia gave him the video April 22.

Article

Slideshow

Video

CNN Article

NBC video

My thoughts exactly.

Shitty video and photographs offered as evidence of an encounter justified by using the term UFO (unidentified flying object) just leads people to believe in crazy ass otherworldly shit.

Not that I don't believe there's stuff out there, but come on...give me high quality 5.1 Dolby Digital footage!

maybe somthing will show up on sharingthegroove.org

It was just the weather

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - A cluster of mysterious objects that surrounded a Mexican Air Force plane, alarming the pilots and sparking a UFO scare, could be a weather phenomenon known as ball lightning, a scientist said on Friday.

AP Photo

Slideshow: Mexican Air Force Pilots Film UFOs

What's Next in Tech Gadgets?

Do Europe and Japan get all the hot new technology first? Here's a look at the pipeline of future tech -- plus some gadgets that didn't travel well and a wishlist of cool things.

The pilots grew nervous during a routine drugs surveillance flight in March when their radar detected strange objects flying nearby and an infrared camera showed 11 blobs of light, invisible to the eye, hovering or darting about their plane.

Mexico's Air Force this week released footage from the infrared camera that was shown widely on television.

As Mexican and international media published photographs of the objects, UFO Web sites saw the case as possible evidence of a new sighting of some form of extraterrestrial life.

But nuclear science researcher Julio Herrera said the blobs of light may have been nothing more than ball lightning -- glowing spheres that are little understood but often sighted near the ground during thunderstorms.

"Just as you have lightning between clouds and ground, you can also have it within the clouds and sometimes ball lightning can develop. I feel this is one of these rare events," said Herrera, based at Mexico's National Autonomous University.

"It's a very rare atmospheric phenomenon and it would be very interesting to be able to analyze all the information these pilots obtained," he told Reuters.

UFO follower Jaime Maussan said on Tuesday the objects seemed "intelligent" after they turned around to surround the plane chasing them -- but Herrera said electrical discharges in ball lightning could have been attracted to the plane as a conductor.

was up north with a girlfriend kickin around for a few days camping and we got caught in a big storm so we grabbed beverages and supplies and went down to a lake to watch the lightening reflect off the water... as we're sitting there listening to tunes and partying this ridiculous ball of light kind of bounces off the water (about 300 ft away) then flies right over us... then another, then another

I was impressed, speechless really... quite a display

as we're sitting there listening to tunes and partying this ridiculous ball of light kind of bounces off the water (about 300 ft away) then flies right over us... then another, then another

I guess you shouldn't have eaten that packet of powdered gravy that you found in the parking lot.