Jambands.ca

If you're going to write a bad review, do it well

AdamH

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best part of this thread so far is when kung slipped back into kung-isms when he was trying to write like Shain: "I think the Slip is just trying to hard to be smart even though their effortless mastery of their instruments and craft is undebatable at the most fundamental of all levels."

Old habits die hard eh kung? The problem is that it's only undebatable 'cus no one but you knows what "the most funamental of all levels" actually means!

Although I must admit this was gold: "When I smoked marijuana and listened to Dave Matthews for the first time I realized that this was it for me, it was more profound then my first thumb through Cheri or Swank (which incidentally took place around the same time)."

And Shain, I loved the line "jester-like penchant for SCI". Freakin' killer.

I'm with AD, best thread ever! Keep it up boys!!!

Peace,

Mr. M.

(my brothers like that picture cause I look like such a wastoid)

I was waiting for the parodies to start coming in, although I like Booche's better than Shain's. Here's my self-parody:

Headiness Is A Warm Gun

by Luke Bowden

First of all what is a head and why and how are they made? To answer this question we have to go all the way back to the Greek pantheon with which of course I am intimately familiar and with which you have at least a passing familiarity from early morning Hercules cartoons. The first head was Hermes, the messenger god, and also god of tradespeople, boundaries and so-called inventor of ‘draughts and dice’. The Romans called Hermes Mercury just like Zeus was called Jupiter, the romans basically just re-labelled all the same dudes and called them their own. The Illiad is pretty much the same story as the Odyssey with a Trojan Horse thrown in. Both stories are about going home which is the central theme of all stories told in the west. If we are not going somewhere, if our journeys do not peregrinate around a hub which we know as home we are simply black specks floating on an ocean which is a really depressing thought and if you believe the Dalai Lama it’s the truth. Your name is a home within which you reside, although most would not think of it that way.

The qualities associated with great improvisational music are very similar to the strengths of my main man Hermes. Unfortunately ‘hermes’ sounds a lot like ‘herpes’ which is an altogether different beast so people just started calling slick players and talkers ‘mercurial’ to avoid the confusion. Another word for Mercury (the element) is Quicksilver, an all-too-mutable material that scatters into a thousand droplets if you try to squeeze it in your hand. The Quicksilver Messenger Service was a popular psychedelic band from San Francisco and mercury is what made the Mad Hatter mad, and Van Gogh, so the whole connection to headiness should be clear. Where was I? Oh yeah headiness is a warm gun.

Good work on the self-parody Herpes, cause I got fairly good and lost, even though I thought I knew my way home. As well, "I get the distinct feeling" that people were somewhat afraid to offer their own Kungian parody.

Something about a wrath, me thinks. Buncha suzies.........

That shit was totally intentional musicface. It was meant to be a Brian Fellowsesque flourish as in 'that skunk is crazy, is his noxious odour a prime example of the Darwinian notion of survival of the fittest whereby this particular adaptation has served him well as a method for protecting the survival of his genetic line?'

"happines is someone holding my warm kung"

by Shain Kungiro

Truth is, my opinions can't be validated unless they contradict someone elses. So as much as I and by that i mean we, like to bitch about this thing or that person, without someone to disagree with it, it is meaningless. So excuse me as i whip out my kung, but without a sharp hand to hold it, it's nothing more than a dick strapped to my chin.

Headyness is a warm gun

by kung

Ever since I toured around with the boys from the Slip and we drove and talked all night about everything from rectal tickling to attending Berklee (and it must cost a pretty penny), I've thought about how Brad would look with a a 57 Magnum in his hand. They certainly are possessed of a certain dignity and chrome finish which is associated with affluence. I've never found them the least bit elitist or whatnot, although I know they can blow a hole the size of a coconut in a man from fifty yards. Shit though didn't Page's uncle invent the Lugar for christ sake, same with the one Monkee who actually made something lethal sometime in his life. Phish is the quintessential heady kids band both in band and audience and just look at Bittersweet Motel if you want proof of the connexion between them and guns. Having been to parties in Conneticut after New Years '95 it was an eye opener for sure- loads of guns being fired off, empty bullet cases filled with all sorts of atrifical stimuli. My folks live a stone's throw from Rosedale and we always knew many gun toting weekend hunters but never asked for any cuts of moose or deer or whatever it is they hunt in and around the Rosedale area. But down there, first of all we had a guy in a truck pick us up outside the venue who was surprisingly easy to find then we're rolling through Jersey. Went to a party at the chairman of Coca Cola's house and his son had a whole like gun cabinet thingy which was all his. Crazy sandwich trays and platters, kegs of Sammy Adams, so I was the typical crazy canuck going 'is the beer free AND the ammo... Right On!'. But it's like a whole other echilon of firearms you can't even imagine, shit even the ammunition taxes which means you have access to the private shooting ranges that the Bridge and Tunnel crowd are rousted out of, you could buy a good anti-aircraft gun up here for one years property tax. Absolutely fucked up, and you could see why Nova Scotia's been bought up as getaways- you can't get a BB gun range in Martha's Vineyard for less than a cool mil.

Ahhhhh.... good times, good times.......

(wiping a tear from my eye)

when did we lose our innocence? For me it was a hotel room encounter with the entire Cincinnati Bengals but that's neither nor there.... :: I don't wanna talk about it.

And why is this post so wide??? It's got girth!

That shit was totally intentional musicface. It was meant to be a Brian Fellowsesque flourish...

Uhhh, okay kung, whatever you say. Good luck with that.

And for the record, "The Odyssey" is to "The Illiad" as "Empire Strikes Back" is to "Star Wars". Come on man, everybody knows that! ;)

Peace,

- M.

First off, kung, you don't have to parody yourself - everything you write is a self-parody, and therein lies it's charm.

Second - Davey-boy, best writing on the thread. Good one.

Third...fuck - can't remember...too drunk, but I was gonna slag someone mercilessly.

I'll agree that this is a damn nice thread, and I'll take a stab it. Come on, everyone join in. When will this opportunity come again?

Confessions of the True Me

by Luke Bowden

Like a porcupine's bristles protect it's soft underbelly, my personality and antics protect what is the true me. It's the classic diversion tactic. While it's so transparently obvious, those that are angered in life and have a chip on their shoulder take offence (they're also too stupid to see through my masquerade). I'm only too happy to come back on the offensive because I've got to keep up the asshole image and because as we all know life is one big psycho-social experiment with a purpose and hypothesis that only I know, and I will ultimately decide when the conclusions can be made and when they are I will retreat into my drug and alcohol induced nether world. You are all pawns in my game. i will ignore the grammatical rules, because didn't you know? I play by my own rules, boyeeee, and I will have run on sentences and switch from first to third person with no abandon. I will show the eclectic me by dropping bits of info from every genre possible, without realising i'm doing the same things I verbally bitch-slap those name-dropping try-hards that are just trying to follow the written style that is simply "kung". I will do and say all that I feel necessary while demoralising others for doing the same thing, because I was getting double fisted by Brad and Andrew while reading the page of the dictionary that had hypocrite on it and lost my concentration.

Confessions of the True Me

by Shain Shapiro

I'm a writer, I swear. I have so much to write, that i don't really have time to research things properly. But i'm really a writer. and I don't devote enough attention to my projects, but i'm a writer, really. I don't have time to edit, fact check or even proof read something once. but I'm a writer, really. And I don't look like harry potter. I don't! Really! I am too mature for my age! Really! I'm not an 8 year old screaming to be let out in this pseudo adult world I've called home since age 15. Really I'm not! That was the best thing I've ever written! Really! That was better than masturbating with lube. Really! I don't try to suck the proverbial dick of anyone who can advance me further in this game called life. Really I don't! I will take 1 writing course while in University. Really I will! I won't whine about having to work, having school, having no money, a girfriend, writing projects or any other excuse I come up with to not have to stay at the after party so people can see what type of "hardcore" guy I am. Really! Well, maybe I'll take that last one back.

I'm glad the ween boardies have toughened me up Lex or I would be a blubbering mess.

If this makes any sense I think I've realised as of late that while most people are trying desperately to be something they're not- I am trying desperately NOT TO BE something I am.

Here's one of my favourite old Kung quotes...I found it by doing a search on "jamalamadingdong"....

I'll take what I dish in this case with one major fucking proviso. The bands need people like myself, they need to know that there are people in the audience who aren't going to say 8 million variations on 'it's all good braaaaah'. Does anybody really take the time to track what these bands are doing, what they're singing about (or not), what directions there moving in. Does any American ever even see the names of these bands written in print. Besides the fact that no one pays me to do this and I rarely ask for comped tickets. I'm not a fucking journalist, I'm not a professional, and like all the musicians I don't ask (or have to) for permission before I create something (or urinate in peoples ears as it were). And so what if there are a whack of slick ass looking websites out there jambands, jamhub, jamaholic, jamalamadingdong, jamorama, jammeupthehoop.... It all comes to naught if there isn't a story to tell. Content is king you know. So whose going to tell the story?

from this hilarious old thread.... nero infighting

hey kung, whatever happened to those special edition nero logs that showed up on Northern Heads?