Jambands.ca

Does anyone know anything about guitars??!?

long time runnin'

Hello,

I recently received a gift of an old guitar from a girl who is moving and didn't want to take it. She apologized because the case was broken, and the strap was coming apart. The guitar looked very dusty, and was horribly out of tune, but upon closer examination I discovered that it is a 1956 es-125 (archtop) with all original parts, and after a liberal coat of guitar polish and some new strings, this beauty looks and sounds like new. The fretboard and frets are in perfect shape, and with the exception of a few minor dings, this guitar looks great.

So...the dilemma! If it's worth a lot of money, I feel a bit guilty keeping it. Can anyone give me a ball-park figure as to the value of this guitar?

Wow. Obviously, it depends on the condition of the guitar. You say it's nice, so that's good.

If memory serves me correctly, es-175 and es-135's go for more than the 125s. I'd guess your guitar would be in the $1,500 - 3,000 Cdn range.

Guest Low Roller

Forget that. It's faster to sell the guitar and buy the equipment that makes you sound good. Kinda like those Nickelback[color:"purple"] musicians.

Thanks for the info. After an hour or so of frantic searching, it looks like this model is sort of the bottom rung of the es (electric-spanish) line that gibson put out, but by virtue of being 48 years old and in good shape, it could probably fetch 4 figures. Wow!

I really like this guitar, and if I don't give it back, I'll keep it and play it often.