Jambands.ca

what are your thoughts on moe.?

They kick my ass everytime I listen to them, be it live or be it living in my living room.

I absolutely love that band.

You know what pisses me off? They won the Jam Of The Year (or, whatever), for their Bonnaroo set, that first year. GIVE ME THE FOOTAGE! You just know there is a joyous copy floating around, and I mean visually.

TAB is out there, they are as well.

(I've yet to be disappointed by moe. That's a feat in and of itself ( ;)) by any band in my life.)

I think it's safe to say their songwriting is preferable to Phish on a lot of levels. The vocals are about the same if not worse. The instrumentation is on an equal footing, Phish can get into some more obscure territories but then again if you throw on the middle of a moe jam or a Phish jam on occasion you can't tell the difference right off. The studio stuff by moe is a smidge better than Phish as well.

5 guys named moe. they rock. they RAWK!! 25 plus shows and I've yet to be dissapointed. I think for the most part the vocals are better than Phish, at least in consistency (although they shouldn't let AL sing the Harder they come, or Karma Police) The jams rage, the tunes are original and they're still not big enough yet that I can see them in a bar...that's the shit right there!!

Actually, moe.down is a great festival, even if you ignore the moe. (which you'd be a fool to, but read on...).

Unlike Phish festivals, moe.down has tons of other great daytime and side stage acts, is a great size (5000-7000 people), is at a great venue (a ski resort, with the chair lift in operation, so you can ride up to the top of the hill, and stroll down or watch the stage, which is at the bottom of the hill, from 'way up), and is also pretty cheap (much cheaper than Coventry, for example).

Oh, yeah, moe. is pretty good, too. ;)

Aloha,

Brad

the first time i heard moe. was when i saw them live. as such, i was actually kinda disappointed when i heard them later on da cd. there's no way to duplicate the energy they create when performing live, so this is really more of a compliment than a diss.

anyone that has yet to do moe.down and likes moe. go this year...... please do me and yourself a huge favor and see this incredible festival.

:Ddone!!!!!!!!!! tix are already purchased, looking forward to this one for sure. seems everyone i know who has been to moe.down can't fricken shut up about the darn thing ;), so that's some hype i'm looking forward to seeing the boys live up to. there i shall be! although i'm still pissed nero's not playing... fuck da rules. haha

nice!!!

glad to hear you are going.........

i think what you will be most pleased about is that at 2 in the morning, while moe. totally tearing the ski hill to peices......you can leave your spot in the crowd.....have a fun little trippy walk to the porto potties (about 1 min) ....still find them in perfect running order with toilet paper and everything...........walk right back to your same spot (no matter how close)

The first time I saw moe. was at the Furthur Festival in 1997 at the Molson Amphitheatre. I was impressed and purchased their 1996 album "no doy" the next day, which is something I don't often do.

I have since seen moe. nine more times with the highlights being the Halloween gig in Buffalo and the first Bonnaroo gig (I agree with you Booche they should release a DVD/CD set of that show).

I don't think they are on the same level as Phish live, but I think they are equal to Phish in the studio. Though I do enjoy them more than the String Cheese Incident and Widespread Panic.

I used to listen to No Doy all the time around 97-98 or so and I was into it then.. Now I find it to be a catchy album, too goofy, some really interesting technical writing for sure (like early Phish stuff). I heard Tin Cans & Car Tires a few times and I haven't heard any studio stuff since then. I've seen 'em live every time they've been to Toronto since 97 or 98... All shows unmemorable save for the last one when Nero opened. (This has a lot to do with my drunkenness though). But from the little I've heard of them the past couple of years (live & studio), it seems their sound has evolved and they are tight as hell, and they hit some INSANE peaks live! I'd go see them whenever I can.

i've seen them twice, both for free. meh.

i saw them for free before scofield, and scofield is the only thing i remember from that day.

then i saw them at the four phil show in toronto....once again...meh.

but then again, they were better than phil that followed!

I'd see them if they were local, wont travel to see them.

Wanted to add on to Steve's comment. The moe. that was pre-Phil at the Amphitheatre was awful. And yes, Phil was actually as bad whereas the year before he was amazing.

And yet, as per above, when I saw them in Ottawa I was really impressed with their tightness and their sound.

I've seen them three (maybe 4? can't remember) times since 1998 and have concluded that I don't like 'em at all. I would never go see them again unless they were part of another bill.

Sometimes I think I really don't like "jamband" music at all, I just happen to really be into a handful of bands that merge into that scene, or form the heart and soul of it (ie. G Dead & Phish). I can't be the only one that feels this way around here..... :(

it all goes in full circle.

there are very few jambands i listen to anymore. I go to shows for the social aspect, and find myself listening to the music less and less....Now if a band comes in i haven't seen before, i pay attention. But the last GTB show i saw, it was a very social event. I find i have more fun being social, rather than focusing on just the music.

On the other hand, Raisinhill, Stephen Franke, OM Trio, and others, i didn't do anything but focus on the band...

Of the best five shows i've seen this year, only one, and the least favorite of the five, was a jamband...that tells me something for sure!

1. Sharon Jones

2. Herbie Hancock

3. Kevin Breit w/ Toronto Tabla Beat Ensemble

4. David Bowie in Toronto

5. OM Trio (PJC) / Raisinhill (PJC) / Shady Groove @ CTMF

:D