Jambands.ca

Roger Daltry sucks

Chewie

whatever shred of respect i had for him is now out the window. first it was the endless "farewell tours", then touring as the who w/ out john entwistle...and now i'm watching him host a Time Life CD package infomercial...

"this is the best collection of classic rock, i've ever seen!"

fuckin lame roger! ::

No comment about Roger Daltry. I've always liked The Who. I'm not their biggest fan, but certainly like lots of what they've done over the years.

Just recently I listened to a copy of Pete Townshend Live from 1999 (Benefit for Maryville Academy, Chicago). Wow! The band is rockin' and I like his voice (I think it's him singing all the way through). Great interpretations of some classic songs.

Don't think I'd go to see The Who these days, but I'd be tempted to go and see Pete Townshend if he toured with a band.

Peace, Mark

If you get a " deal " to see Roger & Pete live, then do so. Pete has re-invented his lead playing. It's astonishing actually. Pete also gels well with drummer Zak Starkey - Townshend was at his best when he and Moon would feed off each other. Zak and Pete are kind of like that.

I agree with you to some extent Chewie. Roger has never been one of my favourite rock stars, but I never thought he'd do the John Sebastian, Graham Nash classic hits infomercial thing. He's always been a questionable actor too, but I still can't hate the guy.

There's no Toronto date yet. They are touring the States right now ( and getting good reviews ), but I'll bet they end the tour in Toronto in the fall.

I don't know if I'll go when they play Toronto, but who knows? Pete is still my favourite guitarist, even if Roger is not my favourite singer. Man, I miss Moonie.

Everybody can not be Neil Young "Sponsered By Nobody". Roger Daltrey hardly wrote any songs for the Who ("See My Way" off of "A Quick One" is the only one that comes to mind) as Pete Townshend was the briliant songwriter in the band. John Entwistle even wrote more with songs like "Boris The Spider", "My Wife", "Success Story", "Had Enough" and some more as well. Due to this and possibly some other reasons Daltrey has a lot less money then his counterpart Townshend. I read a couple of years ago in Q Magazine when they showed the list of richest rock stars in England, Towneshend had something like 15 million pound, while Daltrey had around 2 million. I don't blame him for keeping up his lifestyle by doing "TimeLife" shows or appearing on "That 70's Show" a while ago.

I love the Who in whatever incarnation they form under. I saw them with John Entwistle and without. Though I never saw them with Keith Moon as I was only four years old when he died. If you love the Who like I do you will still enjoy them live.

I LIKE THIS THREAD - It's fun to name people/bands who SUCK!!

hhmmmmmmm,

Creed

Backsteet Boyz

Joe Walsh

Mickey Hart (he'd be good if he'd just shut the fuck up sometimes....MAN)

Don Henley (had his moments and lost it)

Phil Collins (ditto)

Billy Joel (ditto)

etc, etc, etc

Writing who SUCKS is easy, it's the appreciations threads that are hard!!!

G

PS-I like hearing what people like more!!

I LIKE THIS THREAD - It's fun to name people/bands who SUCK!!

hhmmmmmmm,

Joe Walsh

Joe Walsh does not suck. The Eagles suck hard, but not because of Joe. The James Gang were a great garage band and Joe's a hell of a guitarist, with an interesting lyrical style.

Roger Daltrey doesn't suck. He just does things sometimes that can drive you crazy

I agree with you Jaimoe, Daltrey and Walsh both don't suck.

I was lucky enough to see a James Gang reunion show in 2001 in Cleveland, OH, Walsh's home state. The gig was the day before The Trey Anastasio Band played in Cleveland. It was a great show with all of James Gang's greatest hits.

Where I don't agree with you Jaimoe is how The Eagles "suck hard". Joe was an amazing addition to The Eagles in 1976 and Walsh and Don Felder performing duo lead guitar solos that people that have never picked up an electric guitar could hum through to completion.

For any out their that love The Eagles as I do, you should go to the Toronto Bluesfest on Saturday July 17th and/or the Ottawa Bluesfest on Sunday July 18th. On those days on the side or roots stage Bernie Leadon the original lead guitarist of The Eagles (as well as Dillard and Clark and The Flying Burrito Brothers) will be performing a set with David Kemper on drums (who's performed in the Jerry Garcia Band and with Bob Dylan). Later that night on that stage Bernie and Chris Hillman (original member of The Byrds and Flying Burrito Brothers) will be performing as The Burritos for a tribute to the late great Gram Parsons.

Ironically, Joe Walsh is a favourite guitarist of Pete Townshend's. Towser wanted Joe to play lead on their 89 Tommy re-union tour.

I know what you mean about opinion of Walsh in a Daltrey thread. I'll always have an opinion on rock artists. I don't usually get involved in jamband band discussions because I don't really care enough, although I love jambands.

Ah Yes it comes full circle. Now we definitely have a connection between the two Daltrey and Walsh. Your last post reminded me of an introduction Townshend put in for Joe Walsh album "Look What I Did! The Joe Walsh Anthologhy" (MCA, 1995), it was entitled:

Pete Tonshend on Joe Walsh

Joe Walsh. I've got a bunch of cassettes I made on the road when Joe used to hook up and hang out in hotel rooms after shows. He was a reader too. Sharing books and ideas. Like all of us he seemed to be an obsessive about everything. Rleationships, family, booze, dope, moving, music, the spiritual life - everything. Those tapes couldn't be bootlegged. They are reflections of a kind of lunacy that is only permissible when you are young, and in a hotel room in a strange town in the early hours. Nowhere to go. Nothing to do. In those early hours, in any town, you can buy drugs. Even when you can't buy booze you can buy drugs. When you can't buy drugs you can play music. That's what we did. Like Edwardians or Victorians we entertained each other with our latest songs. Or extemporized ideas. Musical brainstorms. Sometimes we knew the music was good, but the company was always fine. We shared records too. Turned each other on to new sounds. Joe is an original. And a friend. Last time we hung out (before the Tommy Broadway opening) we did the bar of the Royalton in New York, we could have had anything we wanted in the way of booze, drugs or musical entertainment. But we made our own pleasure. Played my guitar one after the other. And got very, very drunk. I worried about Joe being drunk. He worried about me being drunk. When we both grow up we will worry more about ourselves. Less about each other.

Love you Joe.

Pete Townshend