Jambands.ca

New Rush Gives ME the Summer Time Blues

Uncle Reg

American Dairy is pleading with Phish to NOT stop touring,the suspected drop in sales of kraft singles has the higher ups concerned,especially with school still a couple weeks away from starting after Coventry.

Its a serious issue in Cheese circles... ;)

On the positive side,Proctor & Gamble expect an rather significant rise is sales,mostly soap/shampoo & deodorant sales.Given,the employment scene will ultimatley increase,barbers and hairdressers alike,rejoice over this awaited fortune.

I don't think you need permission from the songwriter after 25 years...I could be wrong, I think the song(copyright) falls back to the record company or something to that effect. Please correct me if you know the actual info. I remember Paul McCartney not having any say to what happened with the beatles songs after a certain time period...I'm probably not remembering it right, but there is something weird about time and songs.

From the bit I know about copyright, rights are retained by the author for their entire life plus 70 years, unless they are transfered to someone else (i.e. sold or otherwise signed away). After that they are pubic domain, free to everyone. This means that ironically "Imagine" and anything Lennon wrote as solo artist will be in the public domain long before "She Loves You" or anything he wrote much earlier with McCartney.

I don't know of any case where rights automatically fall to the record company, although the rights to actually reproduce the recordings (as opposed to record the songs) are different. That's why you sometimes have things like Pink Floyd re-recording "Money" for A Collection Of Great Dance Songs 'cus CBS didn't own the original recording.

- M.

Fuck! I can't wait thaaat long for an Uncle Seth version of " Roll The Bones ".

Bah, I did that in a cover band back in '93 or '94. We were the greatest thing since Joyslam. I was even nominated for a "Most White Rapping by a Non-White Guy" award. I'll see if I can dig out a recording for your birthday Dave. ::

- M.

True, a few RTAers came and saw me play around that time. Actually you might have enjoyed that band, it was mainly pretty authentic 60s and 70s material with some interesting song choices like "Badge", "Under My Thumb", "Have You Ever Seen The Rain?", "The Rover", "Tie Your Mother Down", etc. There were a few forays into doing "modern" tunes such as "Roll The Bones" and a very ill-advised "Smells Like Team Spirit". :P

- M.

"Just thank your lucky stars they aren't replacing every Rush play on Q with a Triumph or Loverboy song."

Ouch Mr. Musicface, OUCH!! My Loverboy coverband, Hot Girls in Love, is insulted by this comment.

Anyhoo, I feel that you got the impression that I dislike Rush which is quite far from the truth, I even like Geddy's voice (live, that is). But no matter who they are paying respects to, I would have been much happier with another 'Vapour Trails - type' album rather than this. I will still go and see then wenever I can, BUT I will be embarassed FOR them when they break out 'Summertime Blues' and Geddy's like "this is from our new record, it's called 'Summertime blues'".....i will slink down in my seat and marvel at the people cheering around me....they better follow it up with a little 'Temple of Syrinx' after it to regain my faith.

G

PS - Exit Stage Left is a great live album, 2112 (the album) on the second side rocks so hard that it hurts.

Actually that's funny, 'cus I used to love Exit so much, but I was re-listening to it recently and I had forgotten how UN-live it sounds compared to a truly great live album like, say Live At Leeds. However the track list is nuts, it's hard to beat that. And I agree with Jaimoe that the video (which I have on, no lie, good ole Betamax!) is great, the excerpt from "By Tor" on it alone makes it worth a look.

Now, the live Rush In Rio CD and DVD that came out earlier this year is a truly superior live document. It's as LIVE sounding a live rock album as you'll hear from the last 20 years, it's actually a show as opposed to an assembly of live takes, and the Brazilian fans are just NUTS which give it huge energy. And for those who want to avoid the Geddy-voice factor, there's enough instrumental stuff (including an insane "La Villa" and decent chunks of "2112" and "Cynus") to listen for a good long time before you have to be subjected to it.

- M.

Hey Musicface, the Exit live DVD is an import-only from Japan and it's a full concert from the Montreal Forum.

Okay <MR. MUSICFACE ASSUMES FULL RUSH GEEK MODE> technically speaking it's not the full concert, the DVD (which is a reissue of the 1981 video, which I do indeed have an original copy of on Betamax - my dad still has his player hooked up if anyone wants to come out to Scarborough sometime and have a Rush video fest!) includes:

01. Limelight

02. Tom Sawyer

03. The Trees

04. Xanadu

05. Red Barchetta

06. Freewill

07. Closer To the Heart

08. YYZ

09. Medley: By-Tor & The Snow Dog / In The End / In The Mood / 2112 Finale

and does not include these tunes which were (most likely, if my Internet sources are correct) played in Montreal on the Moving Pictures tour:

Hemispheres (i. Prelude)

Beneath, Between and Behind

The Camera Eye

The Spirit of Radio

Vital Signs

Natural Science

Working Man

Hemispheres (iv. Armageddon)

La Villa Strangiato

Interestingly, although "Limelight" is one of their better known tunes and appeared on the video, it wasn't on the LP version of Exit and wouldn't appear on a live album until Different Stages in '98.

</RUSH GEEK MODE ENDS - FOR NOW> ;)