Jambands.ca

C'est WHAT?!?

Mr. Musicface

I just dropped a line to Crispin, the sound guy/booker, to see if I could find out more.

Coincidentally, I was going down there anyway after work to meet someone, so I'm gonna scope this out and find out if there's anything that could be done (a petition or such) to keep the music alive there.

- M.

There's nothing wrong with the other side, it's a pretty cool pub. Not too many places can you hang out in cool stone basement pub, and play scrabble. My issue is more with the whole neighborhood. 4 Years ago all those places, with the exception of C'est What were totally empty. Now since the Bier Markt has become the trendiest place in town, the neighborhood has gone to the birds. It's funny how it happened. I used to like the Bier Markt, they had some decent bands, it was never full. Now people line up around the block to get in, and a dress code is in effect. pffft whatever... I'm so outta there in 5 weeks!

I used to like the Bier Markt, they had some decent bands, it was never full. Now people line up around the block to get in, and a dress code is in effect.

There's a dress code at the Bier Markt now?!? Wow, I guess I haven't been there in a while. That's a real shame, I loved that place too, nothing like a wheat beer sampler and sausage plate on the patio on a hot summer day.

It really is a shame, that whole 'hood was cool exactly because it was less trendy than most of Queen or College, that's why I always liked going down there. Now that I'm working on Front, I was hoping to spend more time at some of those places this summer but not if I've got to dress-up or line-up! And particularly not if C'est What is getting rid of their fantastic live music.

I'm so outta there in 5 weeks!

You moving Trevor? Where you headed?

- M.

Just take 'er easy around Rexdale if that's where you're moving to. I got jacked on Kendleton road and had some scary drives along Albion road with my ghetto girlfriend at the time.

Whereabouts are you moving to? I can probably shortlist some fun things to do, such as getting high and jumping the fence at the pool in West Deane Park. Oh childhood...

What could C'est What do? The fucking landlords tripled the rent. It's a disturbing trend ( rent increases ) for businesses in the downtown core. I hope to god that there won't be an exodus to the burbs for live music venues. Inner city rot has ruined smaller cities in Canada and I hope it doesn't kill Toronto too.

well that blows

always enjoyed the bar's atmosphere and food and drink selection and really appreciated that the diversity of the many bands they booked AND the fact that it was pretty much right downtown (about the only place I go in the market district)

boo

This totally sucks ass man!!!

I love C'est What and have been playing there for the last 7 years.

Crispin is my favourite soundman in the city and C'est What produces the best live recording in town :(

What a drag - i'll have to get an August gig to end it right.

FYI I got a reply to my message from Crispin saying "stay tuned to your inbox, there will be some emails floating around in the near future that will give you a forum to speak your voice on this issue." So there may be hope yet.

I'll let y'all know as I hear more, I'm off to 'roo tomorrow but I'll touch base on this next week if there's any updates. Other folks who have connections with the club (such as Jon and others reading this who've played there), I'd suggest dropping Crispin a line as well. I don't want to overwhelm him at this point but those who already know him contacting him to voice their support probably can't hurt.

- M.