Jambands.ca

my dwindling relationship with jambands

mikey d

I've been slowly feeling a growing dis-attatchement from the majority of the jambands I have previously really been into. My tastes have been changing constantly for the last little while, but the majority of jambands hardly get me off anymore. I still play lots of MMW, nero, phish and bela among a few others, but i really feel as though im moving away. maybe its just a phase? ::

Mikey, there are two classifications with regards to any music.

Sucks

Doesnt Suck

;)

In all seriousness, I think most people start to feel the same way, sooner or later. The best cure for COMPLETE recovery is the following:

Dont label music.

There are too many reasons to list why, but it's a great way to enjoy the music you think is good. Either you like it, or you dont.

I used to be into punk music...wait I still am.

I used to be into heavy metal/thrash/speed metal etc....wait I still am.

I used to be into country/folk/blues...wait I still am.

I used to listen to what my friends do....wait I still do.

I used to listen to what I like....wait I still do.

My point is just listen to what you like because you like it,unless your listening to it for other reasons,then maybe its just a phase.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Frankly, for me the musical universe is so big I often go through periods where I don't listen to certian artists or groups of artists as much as others ... I've sometimes gone months at a time without listening to the Dead or Phish, because I've been listening to a lot of Miles Davis, Emmylou Harris or Led Zeppelin or whatever. Eventually I know I will come back around to them, it's all just phases of the moon.

RnB

Come to think of it Mikey, you have the PRIME of your life coming up, concerning the idea of listening to music. Dont get too serious about shit too soon. Spend some time each week getting blazed and sitting on the couch, soulfully listening to tunes.

Heck, solely as well. Dont miss that. Too many people I know, have done that, and I mean missed it. Casualties, as far as I am concerned.

I am sure they have good lives though. All I am saying, is:

Dont sell yourself down the river too early.

I used to be into punk music...wait I still am.

I used to be into heavy metal/thrash/speed metal etc....wait I still am.

I used to be into country/folk/blues...wait I still am.

I used to listen to what my friends do....wait I still do.

I used to listen to what I like....wait I still do.

Yeah, what he said ::

Hey Mikey,

Booche and I have discussed this on more than a few occassions: Music has never been better ( in our musical lives ) that it is right now... and we're old.

Go out and explore music. You will like what you hear. And yes, I don't like a lot of jambands either, but I love music and especially blues and rock & roll a whole lot.

Keep your ears open.

'Spend some time each week getting blazed and sitting on the couch, soulfully listening to tunes.'

shit man what do you think i do with all my time?

i listen to EVERYTHING, seriously. my album collection is very big and very eclectic. i listen to, on a reuglar basis, everything from nofx to thelonious monk to debusy to

aphex twin to jurassic 5 to shakti to jewel to phish, etc . . . . i think where my connection with jambands comes from is the live aspect . . . i rarely have much ambition to see a band that doesnt jam much live.

i learnt long ago not to label music, i really never have. obviously i use the respective genre titles, but i never have limited myself not from the time i bought my first operation ivy album when i was 11.

Alright,cool.

Can't say I know exactly how ya feel then,I've never into alot of "jambands",I do like select songs from alot of them but my favourites lean towards folk/blues/rock & roll.But I see where your coming from.

Cheers

Mikey, there are two classifications with regards to any music.

Sucks

Doesnt Suck

;)

Except for Blue Grassy High, which defines a category in and of itself (mostly 'cause nobody else wants to be associated with them...).

Aloha,

Brad