Jambands.ca

Some important news concerning me (long)

scottieking

This post is directed both to those who are in the know and those who are not. It's got a little bit for everyone. As we know this board is an online family of friends. I check in with you everyday. Some of you I know well. Some of you I know in person. For some, it's both.

Anyway, I thought it was time to share some news, spread some info and lock in some much needed members of my support team.

I have been diagnosed with thyroid cancer. It has spread to my lymph nodes and we are very certain it has spread no further. I found out after having my first surgery a few months back. The type of cancer that I have is papillary. This is extremely good news as it is a slow moving type which generally stays in the area it begins. I’m going to state this now and later for emphasis: Thyroid Cancer is an extremely treatable form of cancer which has a roughly 95% treatability rate. Most who contract it have no remission and remain cancer-free for the rest of their lives.

I’m going to have to have a complete thyroidectomy or removal of the thyroid as well as having the effected parts of my lymph nodes removed. The surgery will have me in the hospital for about 4 to 5 days. After about three weeks of recovery, I hopefully will begin radioactive iodine treatments. This is not chemotherapy. It involves me drinking what is nicknamed “the atomic cocktail” (mmmm, atomic cocktail) which will seek out any remaining thyroid cells in my body. The next hurdle will be to try to adjust my mediation which I will have to take daily to compensate for my lack of thyroid. None of this is going to be too fun. However, you know how positive I am and I will get through this. It looks now as though all of this will be kicking off on May 1st.

Cancer is a very scary word. No doubt it has already touched your life in someway or another. As I stated before, thyroid cancer is an extremely common and extremely treatable type (95% success). Everyone I’ve talked to about this who has dealt with this in their life have recovered and gone on to live completely normal lives. So will I.

Know that I am sooooo positive about this. I feel like everyday that I have lived has been training to be positive for this battle. I'm a little bummed as May 24 and other events that I see you all at are definitely on hold but know that the orange hat will be back in action as soon as it can. I'm sure recovery will only increase the amount of time I spend in here.

So that's that. I struggled with whether to post this but the more people I tell the better I feel. Please feel free to email with any questions or otherwise. Thanks for reading. I know you beautiful people are sending out the good vibes as we speak and for that I thank you too. See you soon. [smile]

sunnydaze,

scottieking

Scottie, my thoughts and best wishes are with you. I know you have within you what it'll take to clear this hurdle and everybody who has ever experienced your kindness and friendship knows the same. If you're comfortable doing so, please keep us informed as to how you're coming along and know that it's gonna be a fantstic day when I see that orange hat of yours boppin' away at a gig again sometime!

Thanks for sharing your situation with us all. It's inspiring to see someone so brave and positive, stay strong bro. [big Grin]

Sorry to hear about this Scottie, but I have only positive thoughts for you. I am quite familiar with various forms of cancer and their possible treatments, so I am confident that you'll fully recover from this set-back. Incidently, my good friend has the same type of cancer as you and has recovered fully from her thyroidectomy - she had the procedure two years ago. Stay positive and focussed. I know you will. You are right Scottie, this cancer along with a growing number of other forms is highly beatable. I'd wish you luck but you won't need it. You'll beat this thing no problem!!

I think it's great that you posted your news. You can know that I will be sending you all my positive energy and support through this whole thing.

It was definitely a shocker as I was reading your post but I am very happy to hear that it's one of the curable cancers, thyroid, I know it's in the neck but I don't exactly know what they do. Have you been doing some research on the topic. I find the more I know about something the more comfortable I feel especially when dealing with hospitals.

Are you being treated in London? Maybe we could meet up sometime and shoot the shit for a bit.

Stay strong brotha

Tim Chandler

Scottie King rocks!

And I second Tungsten's thought...

The organge hat was on your head the first day I met you,

It has been on your head umpteen times since,

And you will be wearing it for many years to come!

Like... Limestone, a Richmond Row patio at Homecoming (you, me and a brew this time), and the next RV trip (at which I'll be the token chick)

Best wishes my friend! My thoughts and prayers are with you...

{{{{{{{{smiles & smooches}}}}}}}}}

Neen!

great vibes your way brother

from your words it sounds like everything is going to be OK

glad you caught it when you did and are getting things looked after

you should request some of your friends do some videotaping of frontier town events to help keep you amused whilst recovering

the bests of luck

Hey Scottie, glad to see your able to remain so positive over this. I'm sure it's been very tough. It sounds like things are well under control though, here's to a speedy recovery!

All the best!!

btw- what is this mystery hat I keep hearing about. Every time I've met you I believe you've been hatless.

Archived