Jambands.ca

Dark Star Orchestra at CTMF

snarfmaster C

I dig DSO alot and would love to see them up here,but to pay that sorta cash for a band to play CTMF,I'd rather see a band working with their own material more then a cover band,we have other GD bands (CJ & RG) that are alot more affordable and excellent musicians that know who to lay it down.

I'd pay top $$ to see DSO any where else though without question (ie: bar,hall,arena etc).

yes! exactly!!!!

see, that's a great idea on a few levels: they'll be facing a largely new audience, and the audience gets to see and hear an act that is not specific to the "jam"-genre, as opposed to Dead Cover Band #2341 etching a musical career out of someone else's.

Bands I'd rather see at CTMF:

raq

Charlie Hunter

The Slip

Dr. Didg

Trachtenberg Family Slideshow Players

Smokin' Grass

Smokestack

Xavier Rudd

Addison Groove Project

Drums & Tuba

Bennevento/Russo (Organ & Drums)

Doug Feaver (sp?)

Kevin Breit & Sisters Euclid

High On The Hog Band

The Schwillbillies

themasses

etc...

Basically, as has been stated, I'm more interested in hearing new bands or bands that do something new every time I see them. I used to love having a Grateful Dead cover band play the saloon at Frontier Town, because you could sing along and dance and just enjoy the moment. But now that there isn't a saloon, I'd rather keep the main stage open for acts I might get turned on to, or bands that will blow me away. No one does the Dead better than the Dead, amd I just don't see that kind of emotional impact being made by a (in my opinion) over-priced Dead cover band (with some Dead-ish sounding originals). I say save the money and book new acts.

Doug Feaver has played before,the very first CTMF 05/00.I'd love to see him up there again thats for sure.

I'd also like to see The Gourds.

Although,whatever comes our way we all know it'll be a blast regardless.

I agree that original music would be more worth the money than a cover band, but I gotta chime in on this one:

"How much better can they be than say Zen Tricksters."

DSO is so beyond the Zen Tricksters or any other Dead cover band I've seen. I can't imagine anybody doing it better than they do it (excepting The Dead of course, especially this summer).

I agree that original music would be more worth the money than a cover band, but I gotta chime in on this one:

"How much better can they be than say Zen Tricksters."

DSO is so beyond the Zen Tricksters or any other Dead cover band I've seen. I can't imagine anybody doing it better than they do it (excepting The Dead of course, especially this summer).

The only dead cover band I ever want to see at CTMF is Caution Jam. The Zen Tricksters were good but could they play any more sleepers????

there is nothing wrong with covering good music, i love creativity, but, howmany of these supposed orginal bands actually only play their own music??? lots of covers out there...

True.

But for the amount of $$ that would be spent on DSO to have them at CTMF you could get a few bands instead.

And yes,alot of bands do covers,but how many recreate a show from the past in its entirity note for note? Not many,if any,playing a few covers is normal,but for that sort of money I would like to see a band that is still trying to make it in the "scene" or has a larger selection of their own origanals.

I love DSO and wish they would play here but if it were to be at CTMF I wouldn't be surprised to see one of two things:

1.Tickets prices for CTMF go up.

or

2.Less bands at CTMF

Only my speculation mind you,but DSO doesn't come cheap,they gotta get paid,somewhere along the line somthing might have to be cut to be able to afford them.