Jambands.ca

Dark Star Orchestra at CTMF

snarfmaster C

"recreate a show from the past in its entirity note for note"

DSO doesn't play the shows note-for-note. They follow the setlists and pay attention to the asterisks. Sometimes they play original setlists too, which I think is a bit ironic, but I'm not here to slam, just to say that there's no comparison musically between DSO and any other Dead cover band I've seen.

"recreate a show from the past in its entirity note for note"

DSO doesn't play the shows note-for-note. They follow the setlists and pay attention to the asterisks. Sometimes they play original setlists too, which I think is a bit ironic, but I'm not here to slam, just to say that there's no comparison musically between DSO and any other Dead cover band I've seen.

I knew opening my mouth again in this thread would upset someone or cause backlash...sigh,I should know fuckin better I guess.

Ok,perhaps thats not the best way to describe it,"Note for note" (that is) not being a musician I guess I gotta learn how to talk to you fu©cker eh? Hell,I DID NOT slam the fuckin band,I mentioned I dig em and would pay top dollar to see them.

Man,I realize now I wasn't missing much when my computer was down except confrontation...

I also did not compare them to any other band,just that there are other bands that "play" GD songs that are:

1.Canadian (I'll add that one)

2.Great musicians

3.Could be aquired at a considerably less amount.

I shall now once again cause my hard drive to crash...

there is nothing wrong with covering good music, i love creativity, but, howmany of these supposed orginal bands actually only play their own music??? lots of covers out there...

I agree, I am not suggesting you spend all your pennies on one band, instead of getting lots of good bands, iti si just i love dead cover bands.

True.

But for the amount of $$ that would be spent on DSO to have them at CTMF you could get a few bands instead.

And yes,alot of bands do covers,but how many recreate a show from the past in its entirity note for note? Not many,if any,playing a few covers is normal,but for that sort of money I would like to see a band that is still trying to make it in the "scene" or has a larger selection of their own origanals.

I love DSO and wish they would play here but if it were to be at CTMF I wouldn't be surprised to see one of two things:

1.Tickets prices for CTMF go up.

or

2.Less bands at CTMF

Only my speculation mind you,but DSO doesn't come cheap,they gotta get paid,somewhere along the line somthing might have to be cut to be able to afford them.

I didn't mean to imply that you were slamming the band Esau, I was honestly just trying to not come off as slamming the band myself, hence the clarification, given that I'm sure several people know my opinions on DSO.

I did feel the note-for-note thing needed clarification just 'cuz lotsa folks have wondered wheteher they do note-for-note or not.

Not trying to do nothing untowards my man, really.

there is nothing wrong with covering good music, i love creativity, but, howmany of these supposed orginal bands actually only play their own music??? lots of covers out there...

I agree, I am not suggesting you spend all your pennies on one band, instead of getting lots of good bands, iti si just i love dead cover bands.

True.

But for the amount of $$ that would be spent on DSO to have them at CTMF you could get a few bands instead.

And yes,alot of bands do covers,but how many recreate a show from the past in its entirity note for note? Not many,if any,playing a few covers is normal,but for that sort of money I would like to see a band that is still trying to make it in the "scene" or has a larger selection of their own origanals.

I love DSO and wish they would play here but if it were to be at CTMF I wouldn't be surprised to see one of two things:

1.Tickets prices for CTMF go up.

or

2.Less bands at CTMF

Only my speculation mind you,but DSO doesn't come cheap,they gotta get paid,somewhere along the line somthing might have to be cut to be able to afford them.

Your point? ::

Back to the topic at hand, I would much rather see original music at CTMF versus cover bands like DSO. I've never seen them but I've listened to their live shows and they definitely do the Dead justice, but to be honest I'd love to see Kevin Breit do new and exciting things with a guitar, or have BNB play a range of originals and covers then dedicate everyone's ticket money to a cover band.