Thursday, July 15th, Opening will be the Acousti-Cats

38 King William, Hamilton

905-525-6666

$4.00

Happy wanderer

Shannon Lyon leaves town and makes a hit of himself

By MARY DICKIE

Toronto Sun

Calling Shannon Lyon restless is a bit of an understatement. Over his decade-long up-and-down career, the Kitchener-born singer-songwriter has made a habit of pulling up stakes and moving to a new town, or even continent, when things stalled or got boring.

As it turns out, though, that wandering spirit has brought Lyon the kind of success he probably never would have realized if he'd stayed home -- like moving to Europe, making an actual living as a musician there and being the first Canadian artist signed to V2 Records.

"I'd busted up with my manager and label and was just spinning my wheels when an opportunity came to go to Holland," Lyon says. "My friend Rob Lamothe had a booking agent and a backing band there, and we put a four-week tour together. Then I ended up getting on this travelling festival that took me to 10 cities in Holland, and all of a sudden I had a record deal on a small label there. I thought I'd come back in a few months, but I just kept playing and touring, then the record came out and got great press, I got an apartment and started to learn the language, and it was great."

Like other Canadians, Lyon found his music embraced more enthusiastically by European audiences than hometown crowds.

"I don't have the answer to that, but I do know that I couldn't sustain myself here," he says. "There are too few places to play, and too many miles between them. Over there it's densely populated -- every half hour there's a place to play and 200 people who pay to see you because you're from North America, and they sit and listen and buy your record. There's a certain appreciation for North American roots music -- it's the real ticket to Europeans, and they really love it."

It's easy to see why the songs on Lyon's new album, Wandered -- which he'll officially debut at the Rivoli tonight -- have gone over so well. They're moody, thoughtful, beautifully crafted folky songs about heartache and loss, sung in Lyon's deep soulful voice and embellished by Dutch musicians like guitarist Robin Berlijn and Harrie Brekelmans, whom Lyon calls the only pedal steel guitarist in Holland.

Currently, though, Lyon is playing with his old friends Jeff Cowell and Jason Schneider, a.k.a. The World Record Holders.

"I've been playing with them off and on for years," he says. "They've been here, patiently waiting for me to return."

He's now based in Toronto, but that probably won't last. "I don't know where I'm going next, but I'll be touring Australia in August and Europe in the fall," he says. "I'm kind of restless sometimes, so it's great to keep moving."

I will not be missing this show thats for sure,last time I saw Shannon play was at La Luna's on King St. with the Harvesters,Chris from Fat Cats was on banjo.

The tape of that show carried me through my 50 some odd days in europe.

Can't wait to see this one.

Cheers KC on getting Shannon playing PJC.

I saw Shannon Lyon for the first time a few weeks ago opening for Jay Farrar at Lee's Palace. I didn't know who he was at the time, even though my girlfriend and MarcO and his girlfriend had been trying to get me into him of quite some time.

I really enjoyed it and will definitely be going to the show at PJC next Thursday. And now that I have seen him and thought he was great, I won't be getting dragged in either.

Who remembers the SHANNON LYON POP EXPLOSION? We have an old poster at the Underground of their cd release party at LaLuna

I do,that was after the Harvesters,I have a poster also from La Luna's of the Pop Explosion,has a pic of the earth on it.

Mines a "Project Hum w/ special guest Shannon Lyon Pop Explosion".

I'm going to push the cats to go on around 9pm. If the crowd comes later then they will probaly end up going on by 10 pm. Add an hour on to that and that's when Shannon should be going on.

Handsome? me? There goes my bad hair day.

I'm hoping he's got some discs for sale.

I really need new copies of:

[color:"blue"]Tales Of A Yellow Heart 1997 (My favourite Shannon Lyon album)

Musicians:

Shannon Lyon (Various Guitars, Vocals)

Mike Alviano (Guitar)

Jody Cram (Drums),

Adam Buschlen (Bass)

Tyler Gibson (Hammond)

Jay Schneider (Bass)

Chris Gatchene (Pedal Steel)

Steve Strongman (Backing Vocals)

-And-

[color:"blue"]Summer Blonde 2000

Musicians:

Shannon Lyon (Guitar, Vocals)

Jay Schneider (Bass)

Jeff Cowell (Drums, Percussion)

Kim Deschamps (Pedal Steel, Banjo)

Bill Braun (Acoustic Guitar, Dobro)

Lisa Winn (Harmony Vocals)

Paul Stouffer (Keyboards)

Chris Giesbrecht (Keyboards)

Plek Melmon (Loops)

Richard Buckner (Harmony Vocals)

Aaron Solomon (Fiddle)

I can't wait for this show,I wish I still had a copy of the La Luna's show from 97,that show was what kept me sane during what was probally the hardest year of my life,my father & granny passing on & on top of that, being diagnosed with cancer,the Rainbow Song off "Tales Of A Yellow Heart" is by far my favourite song,I can still listen to some of it since I used it as part of an audio soundtrack to some of my Europe video I took while hitch hiking from Brussels,Belgium to Amsterdam.Think I will throw it on actually.

Again,cheers to KC or who ever booked this one,I am seriously pumped to see this show,seems like I forgot all about Shannon for some reason,gonna be great to hear his music again.

Can you name the truck with four wheel drive,

Smells like a steak, and seats thirty five?

Canyonero! Canyonero!

Well, it goes real slow with the hammer down

It's the country-fried truck endorsed by a clown

Canyonero! Canyonero!

Hey, hey!

Twelve yards long, two lanes wide,

Sixty five tons of American pride!

Canyonero! Canyonero!

Top of the line in utility sports,

Unexplained fires are a matter for the courts!

Canyonero! Canyonero!

She blinds everybody with her super high beams

She's a squirrel-squashin', deer-smackin' drivin' machine

Canyonero! Canyonero! Canyonero!

Whoa, Canyonero! Whoa!

Who remembers the SHANNON LYON POP EXPLOSION? We have an old poster at the Underground of their cd release party at LaLuna

a friend of mine said she was going to wear her old S. L. Pop Explosion t-shirt tonight

hope the acousticats don't go on before 10 (or later!) as I probably can't make it down until then

At this very moment I am re-living every 1/4 inch of pain I have ever lived.

I will say,what I have today,later,its all very good...but right now "Tales of a Yellow Heart" is killing me inside,I'm a wreck...

Thats was the best dam show to ever grace the stage st PJC...in my sole drunken opinion,that was the greatest show played there,..I thank who-ever got this to happen,man,am I ever blown away right now........

Shannon Lyon gave a masterclass in songwriting at PJC last night. I've seen him in a variety of venues and settings but this was near perfect. Sound was good, audience was occasionally distracted but not too bad, Shannon played a good variety of album tracks and a few new ones. We even got him back for an honest-to-goodness encore, well deserved. Ken - please bring Shannon back!

I really enjoyed leaning against the wall and listening to him. heh heh...

And, although I missed the first portion of their set, props to the Fat Cats (acoustic version) - how often to you get to hear those guys play their amazing original material in a room where you could hear a pin drop? "Lay Down Your Weary Head" never sounded sweeter.... I love those guys - see you Saturday!

Josh,no offence buddy,but for me that was the finest show I've seen.Unfortunatley I missed the Acousticats set,but I'll see you saturday at casbah for sure.

I'm feeling fine,thanks Marc0,it was a much needed release here last night,was good to let my emotions just take over for awhile,even though I was pissed to the gills at the point I wrote that,it was a good killing me & pain.

I was quite drunk last night when I got home and wrote that,although I do feel it was one of the finest shows I have seen at PJC,no insult meant to any band that has played there especially the Fat Cats but for me it was a serious special show,given what Shannon's music means to me,one I really needed to be at plus seeing a certian someone there made it really strange and emotional for me(you'd think I would get over that sh!t by now,shows what I know about myself I guess),after the Shannon show I ventured to 33 Hess for some well supervised craziness.

What can I say about Shannon Lyon's show last night?

Well,it truly was special for me,I had forgot how much a musician can effect me inside,his music & words defiantley do that to me.Such amazing lyrics,his style of playing guitar is exactly what I love about acoustic guiatr,I heard some songs I haven't heard before and many treasures I have missed hearing.There is somthing to be said about a person on a stage singing with pure emotion,it is extremely real.I truly was and am still completely blown away,for me anyway,that is exactly why I love music,everything wrapped up into one and delivered to me with dignity,truth and soul.As I said,I'm blown away,still as I listen to the album right now.Wow,at a loss for words about that show,it was fantastic,emotional and personal for me.

What the kicker was I was really hoping to buy Tales of a Yellow Heart and unfortunatley Shannon didn't have any copies of it with him but I did grab Someday Morning which is sweet as hell also though,so no disappointment,but when heading to 33 Hess I hopped into Julie's car and she turns on the stereo only to be listening to Tales of a Yellow Heart and right at The Rainbow song which brought emotions running through me like crazy that I wasn't quite expecting to expirence,so I ended up borrowing Julie's copy of it and came home to sit,listen,drink a beer,smoke a bowl and let my soul drift back to 1997 when my old man was still around and I was first getting sick, which really messed me up for some reason.Its been along time since I let out everything inside me and that happened when I got home last night.

Funny how music/words can effect a person like that eh?

Beautiful.