Jambands.ca

Slip Fans - Read this sh!t!

AdamH

Re-posted from The Slip's message board (Surprise Me Mr. Davis, The Duo and The Slip on one fu©king stage! recordings Please!):

Well I sure wish that I could offer up a setlist, but HSMF just isn't that conducive to to writing one down, so hopefully a little review will suffice until some more organized soul can offer up a setlist.

The first time we were treated with the Slip was on Saturday morning for the "Slip n Slide" playshop which was BAM plus a steel slide player from Friends of Dean Martinez (and 2 other guitar players on 2 different tunes). This was essentially a one hour set designed to highlight the use of slide. Brad played with a normal slide (unfortunately didn't bust out his walkman), Marc played with his Oaxacan shaker, Androo played incredible drums as usual. I remember they played an amazing grace, they opened with More Intense Survelliance. I'm not sure if there were other known songs. Regardless, it was a good (and at times great) taster of what was to come. The great things about playshops is the audiences ability to ask questions of the players. In this instance there weren't a lot of great questions, but from what I remember a girl asked "Why are you guys so sick?" to which Brad replied that maybe it's because they had to drive through the night from Eugene. I asked Marc about his shaker (where it's from and what his inspiration for its use was). He explained that it's a mexican shaker from Oaxaca, and that he was simply trying to come up with something new before a gig sometime, and he started tapping the thing on his strings. At Brad's prompting he gave us a demo...which was hystarical, because he played Flashdance, and then told us "that's a song I wrote, it's called Flashdance." I talked to a taper who said he would try and put it up on www.tapetraders.com .. I'm not sure what that site is all about, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Next up was the power packed late night of The Duo, Surprise Me Mr. Davis, and The Slip.

Hands down my favorite part of the festival. The Duo opened things up right bringing numerous guests on stage (including brad). Might I add that the Duo were simply smoking this past weekend. Their vaudeville set on friday night was ABSURD. Their set closer featured Robert Walters and Cheme on what has to be the finest piece of music I heard all weekend. I've got a copy of the show, I just have to check for errors before I seed it.

Surprise Me Mr. Davis: holy bejeezus. The boys came out wearing their finest (BAM in suits, Nathan Moore in a funky and ugly (sorry Nathan, we still love you) sweater and crazy belt. Nathan was looking a little strange this evening, and seemed a bit uncomfortable on stage at first (this evaporated very quickly). I've heard the Tin Angel show and their album, but this show I feel was really something special. I can't give you any songs aside from Holly Would (which was stellar), but there were lots of tapers with mics, so hopefully we can all get our hands on this. Because when we do, we can all revel in the surprise of the night. It would be a shame to spoil it, so we'll leave it true to their name. Just wait for the tapes, and get ready for a surprise from Nathan.

The Slip managed to stay engaged and energetic through this entire night. It was truly an incredible evening. I wish I could offer more in the way of songs, but all I can muster from my foggy HSMF memory is a first encore of Closer Walk with Thee -> If One of Us Should Fall. There was also a second encore of sometimes true to nothing.

There was also a set on sunday night, but I will leave that for someone else to review.

I hope that gives you all something positive, I wish I could offer more than my perspective, but that's all I've got. Until the tapes come rolling through, hope you enjoy.

I just finished burning the Surprise Me Mr. Davis set from Vermont (03-06-04)... When I heard there was a SMMD set going to be played while The Slip were at HSMF I nearly shat myself... Some of the best tunes I've ever heard. My new signature is from a SMMD song called "Unprotected Sex". Everyone (not just Slip fans) should do their best to either buy the album or get a show... Seriously brilliant... So who's doing HSMF next year with me (crossing my fingers for a 6th consecutive year of The Slip)?

Good songs kung (well, aren't they all?)... Right now I'm loving Unprotected Sex, Mardi Gras, and Brad and Nathan sharing vocals on Before You Was Born (their take on The Slip's "Before You Were Born", where Brad and Nathan actually sing Was instead of Were...). I'm loving Nathan's gritty, Tom Waits-esque vocal stylings...

i know i'm just a baby slip-per, but that sounds exciting and man i wish i was taking in another weekend packed with live music... get your hands on that recording people! (and then slide it over to me!!) ::

and what's that - .... scotty are you making one of those homer-drooling noises? sheesh i can hear you from here!

thank you dearie, i'll put you in my will ;)

PS aside, i almost stopped in for a visit yesterday, stuck in goddamn traffic for-eva!!! but i remembered the hideous-ness of last time on hurontario and decided against. maybe next time, tho!

no meggo, thats actually the sound of me shitting my pants. christ. ice cream truck gets more and more appealing everyday...

summer of my fall... im not too familiar with mr. davis song titles, but is that the "i open a door, i open a window, she came through the wall" one? love that line.. i'd say that's probably the song i dig most from davis..

and as for the recordings, im sure they'll be up on jason booths server eventually..

You're welcome here anytime meggo, I know how Hurontario can be though... No need to put me in your will, just remember me when you win the lottery! sheik, I'm actually going to The Ice Cream Truck... Renting a convertable, doing it in style, brah...

You better take a lot of pictures Del-head, so we can all fu©k ourselves raw in absentia.

I only listened to the Mr.Davis stuff a few times but liked what I heard. I really enjoyed snowed in....so mellow and relaxing.

This band kills me every time...