Jambands.ca

Roll call The Jim Cuddy Band @ Aquafest Sat Jul 10

TimmyB

THE JIM CUDDY BAND

AQUAFEST 2004 FESTIVAL CONCERTS

BAYFRONT PARK, HAMILTON

SATURDAY JULY 10, 2004 9PM

FREE

So who's going with me? hamilton? MarcO I know I'm going with your girlfriend, so I'm assuming you're coming. Anyone else?

I saw The Jim Cuddy Band a couple of times in the late nineties and they were fun gigs. Good ol' Bazil on bass, Gavin Brown on drums, Colin Cripps on guitar (who I have also seen with Blackie And The Rodeo Kings. And Colin has made a bigger name for himself performing with Kathleen Edwards over the last little while) and Adele Armin on violin. Cuddy's solo band is quite good.

Also this time out with Melanie Doane opening at 7:00pm she might join them on stage to as she also contributed violin on Cuddy's debut and only solo album "All In Time (WEA, 1998).

At the gigs I saw Cuddy did some Blue Rodeo, but his solo album front to back is good enough that he will probably mainly represent it. I also remember with a smile Cuddy covering Elvis Costello's "Oliver's Army" and Aretha Franklin's "Do Right Woman-Do Right Man," though I'm sure his version was inspired by the Flying Burrito Brothers take on the song.

We don't necessarily have to go until right before nine, therefore we'll miss Melanie Doane completely and only see The Jim Cuddy Band.

I'm not a fan of Doane's music, I actually couldn't name a single one of her tunes. I only mentioned her name as a possible guest on stage with Cuddy as she was on his solo record.

It should be a fun night, though. I always love to see Blue Rodeo, or members of the band perform on (hopefully) nice summer nights.

In... although you couldn't possibly pay me enough money to watch Melanie Doane. I'd rather jab a fork into the side of my head. I'll be at the beer tent or the porta-potty until she's done.

Why? She's got a pretty good voice, writes pretty good songs (admittedly in the pop/rock vein, without the emotional effect of, say, Tori Amos, but still competenly done and radio-friendly without pandering to that narrow part of the middle of the road where all you find are dead skunks), can play instruments (fiddle and guitar, IIRC) and can play them pretty well. (Actually, I'd put her pretty close to somebody like Sarah Harmer; how do feel about her music?)

I guess it's the vehemence you have for her (and her music) that mystifies me. There are loads of performers I'd gladly skip (and pay) to see Melanie Doane.

Aloha,

Brad

In... although you couldn't possibly pay me enough money to watch Melanie Doane. I'd rather jab a fork into the side of my head. I'll be at the beer tent or the porta-potty until she's done.

Why? She's got a pretty good voice, writes pretty good songs (admittedly in the pop/rock vein, without the emotional effect of, say, Tori Amos, but still competenly done and radio-friendly without pandering to that narrow part of the middle of the road where all you find are dead skunks), can play instruments (fiddle and guitar, IIRC) and can play them pretty well. (Actually, I'd put her pretty close to somebody like Sarah Harmer; how do feel about her music?)

I guess it's the vehemence you have for her (and her music) that mystifies me. There are loads of performers I'd gladly skip (and pay) to see Melanie Doane.

I'm a complicated man, BradM.

First, I think Melanie Doane is no better than or different from any of the other middle-of-the-road CANCON radio-friendly twadlle inhabiting Canadian FM radio - like Sass Jordan, Holly McNarland, Chantal Krevi-whats-her-name, or Amanda Marshall. Boring, perfectly pleasant voices with completely interchangeable material. And that "Adam rocked my world" song was a travesty... an overplayed travesty.

Sarah Harmer is a step above this crap. I'm not 100% sold on her, but I think she's a serious contender for Sarah-Maclachlan-in-the-making. Good for her. If she were opening for Jim Cuddy, I'd have no trouble checking her out. Julie Doiron is pretty good, too. Neko Case is awesome.

Tori Amos drives me nuts. I've tried to like her, and just can't do it. Emotional impact is good... emotional car crashes are a bit much, though.

I'll go sharpen that fork now...

i worked the beer tent as a fundraiser at aquafest in '97 and caught the barenaked ladies for free. not a huge fan, but fun nevertheless. always had a blast at aquafests, actually for the same reasons as marco's: hutch's and people watching.

have a good time tonite...

we've got sunfest this weekend... its kinda like aquafest, only with less water and more sun.

I'd love to see Cuddy and the crew. Blue Rodeo is one of the best live acts I've ever seen and I'm sure that Jim brings that to the stage with his solo band. Sadly (yea right) I'll be in Toronto drinking red wine and watching Ibrahim Ferrier presented by the Buena Vista Social Club and then returning to Hamilton to catch the overwhelming guitar-work of Stephen Franke.

Have a good night everyone!

Went out with hamilton, MarcO and his girlfriend tonight and saw The New Jim Cuddy Band.

I'm guessing Colin Cripps is on tour with Kathleen Edwards or something, because Blue Rodeo pedal steel player Bob Egan was the lead guitarist. Which in many ways made the concert better. Egan has a very interesting guitar style, that seems like a hybrid influence of Neil Young and Ben Keith (Neil's pedal steel player).

Cuddy and his band came out right at 9:00pm and played for nearly 90 minutes, which isn't bad for free.

It was a nice mix from Cuddy's now six year old debut solo album and Blue Rodeo tunes with a couple of covers.

Now that I think about it, Jim Cuddy "All In Time" was probably better received and sold better than the last three Blue Rodeo albums (I still think Greg Keelor's "Gone" is better).

Here's the setlist

Start time 9:00pm

1. Whistler

2. Second Son

3. Too Many Hands

4. All In Time

5. I Could Never Be That Man

6. Five Days In May

7. I'll Make Believe It's You

8. Whose In The Corner Cryin' (Bazil Donovan lead vocal)

9. New Year's Eve

10. Disappointment

11. It Could Happen To You

12. Country Wide Soul

13. Trust Yourself

Encore: 14. Trouble

15. Bad Timing

16. Oliver's Army (Elvis Costello cover)

End set 10:28pm (Total time 1 hour and 28 minutes)