Jambands.ca

Happy Birthday Arlo Guthrie July 10, 1947

TimmyB

from www.billboard.com

1947 - Balladeer Arlo Guthrie is born in Coney Island, N.Y., the sone of folk singer Woody Guthrie. His most famous song is the 18-minute Thanksgiving tale "Alice's Restaurant."

Happy Birthday Arlo,

I've seen Arlo Guthrie three times. First at the Furthur festival the day before his birthay in 1997 at the Molson Amphitheatre. I remember that day he did his song "Coming Into Los Angeles" his fathers "Pretty Boyd Floyd" (which was cool as it mentions the Canadian border in its lyrics) and Bob Dylan's "All Along The Watchtower" on ukulele.

I have also seen Arlo at two Farm Aids in 2000 and 2001. In 2000 I loved his version "City Of New Orleans" though I wished Willie Nelson came out and sang it with him.

In 2001 just after 9/11 Arlo opened the telivised portion of Farm Aid with his fathers "This Land Is Your Land" and he was joined on stage by Farm Aid founders Neil Young, John Mellencamp and Nelson as well as Dave Matthews.

I've been told I look a little like him. I don't have a good mental image of what he looks like so I don't know if I agree or not but it's a hell of a lot better than hearing that I look like Chad.

Here's a recent picture of Arlo. You are a dead ringer:

vert.nolte.jpg