Jambands.ca

Jaga Jazzist@Bluesfest - Absolute Yay!

AdamH

Guest Low Roller

So Manitoba had a temper tantrum? Funny. I would get pretty frustrated with an Ottawa crowd as well.

More info on the Jaga Jazzist set please. Any tapers? Good crowd? Appreciative crowd?

I caught about 3-4 songs of them, I thought the whole mask /video sync/dual drum kit/weird instrument thing was interesting as well, but it seemed like the wrong setting for them. The kicking over the mic stand thing, I think as soon as he did that he realized it was a bit over the top, and the guitarist actually picked it back up as soon as he got a chance. In a smokey club with dancing I think it would be a very cool vibe. My wife even thought they were pretty cool, and I wouldn't usually expect her to be into that sort of stuff, so I thought that spoke well for them also.

Overall I'd say Yay, not the best performance ever but good enough that I'd certainly see 'em again.

- M.

Saw two songs by Manistoba before heading to Taj Mahal.It was good, the dual drum kits were kicking my ass but I could see it getting old after an hour. But like Todd said the real show of the Bluesfest so far is Jaga Jazzist,this amazing band from Oslo, Norway, made up of 10 incredible multi-istrumentalists who were switching between ambient, to funk to these wicked 10 part vocal jams OVERPOWERING/MINDBLOWING!!!. The arrangements were so complex almost orchestral, one guy would be playing the trumpet,and the next thing you know he's on the upright, then he'd be playing keys,all of sudden he's on the vibraphone....and it's still the same song!!This was true of almost all of the band members. They even played a couple Styx tunes, and it was the best Styx I ever heard.Go see therm if you ever get the chance.

Are acts compensated for performing (paid)? I'd think so, I don't think giving out free passes to acts would be a good idea, a lot of acts are on tour / from out of town anyways and wouldn't use them, plus giving out too much free stuff in addition to paying artists has to affect the bottom line for regular paying audience members somehow...

AD

Jaga Jazzist was great. Tuba, trombone, keys, vibes, trumpet, drums, upright bass, flute, bass clarinet, saxamaphones, electric bass, acoustic and electric guitars, just a ton of gear and a full onslought of sound. They were part Mike Oldfield and part John Cage, or Oldfield and Drums & Tuba, or Oldfield and MMW. Suffice to say they would do a killer version of Tubular Bells.

Tons of talent, tons of ideas, and tons of gear.

Back to Jaga jazzist for a second - Last night taught me that we North Americans know nothing about music. It's impressive when you see a trio like The Slip pull off amazing things...and even more impressive seeing 8, 9, 10 people on stage just as proficient and refined and putting notes in all the right places. Last night was pure magic!

Guest Low Roller

ARGH!

Well at least I'm happy that my constant pimping of Jaga Jazzist got some people to go see what all the fuss was about. I would've liked to have seen them myself, but oh well, que sera sera.

Are acts compensated for performing (paid)? I'd think so, I don't think giving out free passes to acts would be a good idea, a lot of acts are on tour / from out of town anyways and wouldn't use them, plus giving out too much free stuff in addition to paying artists has to affect the bottom line for regular paying audience members somehow...

yes we are paid and yes I agree that it would affect the bottom line and all that.. but it would be nice for the local bands (and they don't book many of them).. but it's cool.. for me just playing something like bluesfest is payment enough.. the rest is just bonus!

Jaga Jazzist was a crazy suprise indeed.

To add to Velvet's conglomerate, I also heard the electronic experimental orgy of Radiohead throughout alot of their performance. Basically some insane drum machine action fused with the intense drummer really added somethign amazing to drive the music.

I tried to figure out who was doing what throughout their show. I think the Vibraphone player was controlling the drum machine. The bass player was switch-hitting between Electric Bass and a Moog bass thingy. I must say, i'm still confused on how they pulled off the choral stuff. Most of them didn't have vocal mic's....so what was up with that?

I was blown away last night. I can't say I've ever seen or heard anything like that before. It was a total shock and I absolutely loved it. All those pretty blond people, just totally into what they were doing and all were extremely talented.

Yeah, the vocal thing I thought was overdubbed. It better have been their voices on the track or else it's cheese. Beautiful, smooth cheese. Like camambert.