Jambands.ca

Wayne from Flaming Lips in a Bubble

AdamH

Yeah yeah keep wanking out the jams nothing gimmicky about that.

Kung, I'll have to remind you about that at the next nero show you're at... Especially since we had a conversation where you told me Lauzon was one of your favorite Can-Jam guitar players... Who are you kidding here?

Speaking of a band that needs gimmicks...

Not really any different then Phish riding a huge Hotdog out over the crowd is it?

Bill Grahman & the Grateful Dead did things like that at NYE shows too.

No different at all... I had stated in the Phish rumour thread that I was hoping for some gimmicks and props, then this post was made. That's why I said "speaking of a band that needs gimmicks... My point was, besides the gimmicks, I personally don't find much going for the Flaming Lips. Hell, if I liked their tunes, I'd probably think the bubble idea was cool as sh!t. Unfortunately, many 'heads seem to be getting into the Lips, and I don't see them being very musically fulfilling. To each their own, but "yet another stunt" by Wayne Coyne or the Lips in general doesn't mean a whole lot to me, other than another desperate attempt to stay in the media...

Bwa ha ha, this thread is decaying faster than Lauzon's Wah Wah....

Del I'm actually pretty surprised that you don't find the Lips music "fulfilling" because at the very least they produce a full and complete sound album-wise. I've yet to see them in concert so I suppose one could be disappointed with them live but their albums have really knocked me off my feet. I listened to Zyreeka for the first time a few weeks ago (4 discs played on four stereos) and was really impressed with all the layers and texture, and the fact that is was put together with a definite map of where sounds should be coming from at certain times...as opposed to just flopping a bunch of tracks randomly across 4 CDs.

I love Peter Gabriel and think the Flaming Lips are great too. The difference between their two ball, heh, heh, is that Gabriel's weighed way too much to go into the crowd. He was told by his orange jump suit road crew that his ball would have crushed the crowd.

While Wayne Coyne's ball was light enough to go into the crowd, as the picture obviously shows above.

I really wish that Lollapalooza did not get cancelled this year as I was really excited to see The Flaming Lips again. Oh well Bob Dylan isn't a bad substitute.

I've been dying to listen to Zaireeka in the right context and state of mind. Seriously just that one album in terms of pushing the limits is a fine example of their lasting impact. Oh fu©k why am I bothering just because most music savvy individuals, musicians, fans and otherwise love them and a couple of jammers don't no bigs.

All of the Lips albums I've heard, I love. Although there is absolutely no point in listening to a recorded live performance. I think I should explain.... the only performances I've heard seem like they're unsuccessfully trying to reproduce what they do in the studio instead of going for something different. Which in my mind kind of makes listening to a live performance second rate instead of something different.

Oh fu©k why am I bothering just because most music savvy individuals, musicians, fans and otherwise love them and a couple of jammers don't no bigs.

Please kung, this comes down to personal taste, nothing else... Actually if the Lips were still pushing limits (ie. the '96 Parking Lot Experiments, the '97 Boombox Experiments or the '99 Headphone Concerts), instead of adding more and more props, I'd probably have a little more interest. I've heard their last 2 albums in their entirety, and they didn't do anything for me... Their older stuff interests me more, although I find it far from "music for the ages"... They're not for me, that's all I said, and that's about it. Thankfully, Lips fans seem less militant than Ween fans, and I don't get harrassed to like The Flaming Lips as much... I guess some people need movies and props to take away from the actual music being played (kind of like going to a Britney Spears or Justin Timberlake show).

I know you're just pushing my buttons and I'm not going to bite. You can keep your gabber pooh and Wassabi cultective and I'll stick with Ween and the Lips? Are we cool? Although I must say you have good taste in your future wife.

Although I must say you have good taste in your future wife.

One day, kung, one day she WILL be mine! Really not trying to push your buttons, I'd be slagging Ween a lot more if I was... The bubble stunt is cool on some levels, and on others is pathetically predictable... If Ween had done it, I'd actually be more impressed. And after countless Wassabi shows and hours of gabber, I'll take you up on that trade... By the way, didn't you dance your ass off at Wassabi as well? Hmmm...

By the way Esau, Big Cypress was a NYE show and Lemonwheel was a festival in August... The hot dog was busted out twice, but not at Lemonwheel... It was actually NYE '94 in Boston. That's why I said only on NYE...