Jambands.ca

Toronto BLuesfest cancelled

TimmyB

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Low Roller

The bewildered blank stare on your face during his set said it all GentleMon.

Wyclef: "Make some noise!!!!!!!"

Stapes: "BOOO!!"

Glad I'm not the only one who didn't get into Wyclef. Too much audience participation pressure!!

seriously. that take off your shirt nonsense, was unbelievable. he wouldnt shut up. the rest of the show was like an badly sung karaoke hiphop medly. the drum/ bass and freestyle rapping solos were totally embarrassing. i didnt have high hopes, but man, he really sucked.

Did he "Cut like a knife?"

he did, and he also couldn't stop that thing he started. it was definitely a night to remember. i felt like i was 18 (til i died). he probably woke up the neighbours.

i could go on...

ad

Did I mention how pissed off I am. Correct me if I'm wrong you industry types but I can't see how anyone would give back their guarantees especially at this late late stage. That must mean ticket sales were incredibly soft considering they were willing to take that kind of hit rather then go on with additional production expenses (less deposits) and the other %50 of the guarantee.

With regard to Kyle Riabko I've talked to his manager and his two cents is that they're going to use the opportunity to do some press but that he isn't going to do any replacement gigs. fu©k.

oh how i want our good friends at PRS here in ottawa to bring the sadies, gillian welch, luther wright, cake etc.. to ottawa next week...

and i want everyone that has any pull at all to ship wyclef back wherever he came from...

ad

Just so everyone's clear Kyle is still playing OTown tomorrow (Thursday 15th) at 6:15 opening for Jimmy Vaughan and Lyle Lovett. He's likely to showcase a poppier side of himself but tell me you don't see sparks of greatness there. Especially if he cuts into any lead.

Guest Low Roller

Just be glad you missed the debacle that was Wyclef Jean Ms. Hux. I was honestly expecting some real solid reggae or something, but instead I got a cover-fest, and covers done poorly. He butchered No Woman, No Cry TWICE, Jump Around TWICE, and brutalized Guantaramela. For half the set his DJ would just spin popular hip-hop songs while Wyclef ran around the stage screaming "Put your hands in the air!!" or "Make some noise!!!". Our group did, and it was resounding boos.

However the majority of the crowd was totally into Wyclef, so I guess we're just musical elitists that would rather see musicians play rather than some guy "performing".

Worst show ever.

First I opened this thread.

What a drag,sad to see any fest not happen,but the Blues fest!?,sh!t thats harsh,I must agree that the line up is not up to normal par,but I do (err,did now I guess) see some acts I'd like to see.

What the hells happening to our festivals now-a-days anyway....dam.

Just be glad you missed the debacle that was Wyclef Jean Ms. Hux. I was honestly expecting some real solid reggae or something, but instead I got a cover-fest, and covers done poorly. He butchered No Woman, No Cry TWICE, Jump Around TWICE, and brutalized Guantaramela. For half the set his DJ would just spin popular hip-hop songs while Wyclef ran around the stage screaming "Put your hands in the air!!" or "Make some noise!!!". Our group did, and it was resounding boos.

However the majority of the crowd was totally into Wyclef, so I guess we're just musical elitists that would rather see musicians play rather than some guy "performing".

Worst show ever.

Wow,that depressing to hear,Wycleff was one of those guys I seemed to enjoy,at least the studio stuff I heard,mostly the song "Gun Powder" was the tune I liked the most,amongst some others I enjoyed,especially the Fugee's stuff.I've never seen him live and sorta always wanted to but if this is the sorta show he puts on then I guess I'm in no hurry to see him.Thanks for the heads up on this.

"I absolutely can't stand when someone is yelling at their audience to do cheer/clap/whatever."

Precisely. I go to hear music, not to do the Hokey-Pokey.

"Make some noise! Let me see your lighters! Put your left foot in! Take your left foot out!"