Jambands.ca

The tear or not to tear, a PJC question. ???

kc

Pepper Jack's is about ready to start upgrading and renovating our sound and room to make our shows a little more crowd and band friendly.

One issue we've been contemplating is whether or not to tear down the half wall that is to the right of the stage when your facing it. We normally set the sound board up in front of it.

Some people like it so they can lean against it and it keeps them indiscreet when watching bands.

On the other side, when we have big shows it could free up some room for dancing if it was gone.

Keep in mind we will be moving the soundboard to a different loc. either to the right of the bar(under the tv) or to the 1st booth.

If anyone has an opinion (or vote) on keeping the wall or turfing it, do tell.

kc

PS: No, we can't get rid of the square column in the middle of the room. It holds the building up ::

Hmmmmm. Well, yeah, sometimes it's a prime spot to lean and listen, given the proper act on stage. On the other hand, when it's really busy, it contributes to a little crush around the stairs leading upstairs.

I'd say, all things considered, leave it in. It guides traffic in and out of the bar, serves as a leaning space when appropriate, and if it's so busy anyway, it's just busy period, removing it won't really solve that problem. In the end, it is that column in the middle of the room that is most problematic from an audience standpoint (especially trying to get around it when it's packed) but like you said, it holds up the building, so complaining about it is a little counter-productive I guess.

If I could have one wish for PJC it would be finding a way to get those huge speakers and their stands off the ground at the sides of the stage. Hopefully, this is something that will be considered.

Viva la PJC!

See you tomorrow night, Ken!

I'd say keep it, or at least part of it... gives people who are into the tunes but not up to dancing somewhere to hang with a good view and tends to be a popular spot

if the soundboard is moved elsewhere there'll already be more room for dancing... sometimes a cavernous dance space is less condusive to dancers as they don't want to be the first people 'way up there'

my 2¢

I say tear the bitch down! Personally I felt a bit wierd playing there and everyone was sitting behind a wall. I couldn't see them and it made me nervous. Like they had notepads and were judging. *shudder* I like to see people, but maybe that's just me.

Fantastic room though. I hadn't thought of the wall until you just mentioned it. PJC is the best place to party ever!

keep it up!!!!!!!

- it's the perfect place to put your coat & still be able to keep an eye on it while you're on the dancefloor

- it's crammed enough trying to get in & out the door in the winter, if you take the wall down, that "walkway" becomes total dancefloor

- if you are too tired/drunk/high to dance, you can lean on it, enjoy the band, & not get knocked into so much by buck wild patrons

- it's much nicer to walk in the door & have even a slight bit of breathing space to survey the scene, as opposed to going straight into the mayhem

The evidence before the court is incontrovertible

There's no need for the jury to retire

In all my years of judging

I have never heard before

of someone more deserving

the full penalty of law

The way you made them suffer

Your exquisite wife and mother

fills me with the urge to defecate

Since, my friend you have revealed

your deepest fear

I sentence you to be exposed

before you peers

Tear down the wall

One question though,if you move the SBD under the TV would that not create a possible tripping hazard?Or are you going to be running the cables above and across the valence(sp?) then drop them down to the stage? Like we did when we needed the extra receptacles for the Slip or the GTB/JSB seamless shows?

Need any trades people to pitch in? I usually have some free time,given my back holds up the way it has,last two days I have been laying hardwood floors here at my place and surprisingly other then sore knees and aches (due to not working) its been pretty dam good to me.

I like the wall myself,but I don't normally dance too much anymore due to the back issue,but I can agree with the more space thing.So,I guess I'm indifferent when it comes to the wall.

I just don't think removing it will open up more space. It'll just spread the human clutter when it is jam-packed, as palaceprincess aluded to.

Also, on a night like tomorrow, for Shannon Lyon, or a quiet night with Mike Daley or whomever, it really is nice to simultaneously stand and listen while having something to lean on. I don't want to sit and listen but neither do I want to dance at those gigs, so that little wall is perfect.

Not a big deal either way. The real problem with PJC is that the bartender is too sexy and I just can't stand it anymore. it hurts me.

While I haven't been to PJC (yet), so I'm not sure of the layout and what'll be the effect of tearing down the wall, one thing you might want to keep in mind is whether it'll be possible to make for a good taping section.

For example, Mavericks, here in Ottawa, has a great* setup, with a brick pillar at the back of the (not-too-deep) dance floor, which has both wall power available, and a shelf (about 7' off the floor) to which mics can be clamped and under which the gear can be stashed and not danced into.

If the SBD could be placed in a good position w.r.t. the stage, and if its placement could also incorporate a taping section (ideally with a couple of wall outlets available for use), that'd be neat.

Aloha,

Brad

* "Great" here is taken from a taper's perspective; I realize that there are people/dancers who don't like the pillar, and I understand why. But, since it's so useful for taping, I like it where it is. YMMV.

Build a glass wall all around the stage so that it's like the musicians are in a fishbowl.

The musicians will have their own isolated sound, they'll be free from drunken dancers and if it's bulletproof glass, they can't be killed by gunfire.

The only problem I see is when the singer/guitarist decides to pull a stage dive, and smashes into the glass. It would be funny for everyone else, maybe even the band, until they realize that they have to stop partying to take him/her to the hospital and maybe even the dentist.

Hope that helps ;)

Build a glass wall all around the stage so that it's like the musicians are in a fishbowl.

The musicians will have their own isolated sound, they'll be free from drunken dancers and if it's bulletproof glass, they can't be killed by gunfire.

The only problem I see is when the singer/guitarist decides to pull a stage dive, and smashes into the glass. It would be funny for everyone else, maybe even the band, until they realize that they have to stop partying to take him/her to the hospital and maybe even the dentist.

Hope that helps ;)

I like the fishbowl idea, but I'd go further: put the musicians and gear up on platforms/stilts, put a foot or two of water in the bottom, plumb it up right, and make a stage bong! Then attach tubes facing outward, and you'd be able to get people out onto the dance floor...possibly face-down and out cold on the dance floor...

Aloha,

Brad

Exactly. And then Luke can't take the stage and mount the drum kit.

And if by "when the singer/guitarist decides to pull a stage dive" you are referring to the guitar player from Dr Huxtable, yeah, that would be funny. Ken won't pay your dentist bills though, I bet!

Brad,

Heres a shot from the stage,sorta of center/left stage.(while on stage)

The pillar is question is to the left in this picture about 15 ft back or less from where the pic ends(left) about in line with the TV,the ceiling opens up at the little step like part you see,the pillar (3 ft around but square) is at the lowest spot of that step center room more or less and I'd give it 8-10 feet tops(?) to the ceiling.The wall in question is even more to the left with a walk way between that and the pillar.The SBD proposed going under the TV in the back you see.

cafe.jpg

Heres a shot from the proposed SBD side,about where the fireplace is.The hand rail is removed for shows,most anyway,the SBD usually sits to the right (from this angle) of the stage,with the wall there it makes for a great spot for the SBD in my opinion,and keeps folks from walking over or into any wires or gear,taping rigs etc.The stairs being center stage.

cafe4.jpg

Just to give you an idea anyway.

Esau, when we move the soundboard we will be hardwireing a snake from the roof so there's no loose cords.

We'll talk tomorrow about some work(shannon lyon)

New Rider, No, you can't bring your turkey collection to PJ's.

Ms. Hux, thanks for the props.

Dancin' man, I knew your answer before I even posted.

Marco, I hope your a hot chick ;)

Pais. princess, bouche, bradm, del, davey, traveler, willy thanks so much for your input.

I'm thinking maybe we'll just take the part that curves in, out.

I like the wall.

Also another suggestion, regarding the section upstairs where people stand and peer over the edge to look down upon the stage/band.. I've always enjoyed this option but I think it would be much crazier if you could see more action down below.. These suggestions are probably both completely out of the question but here they are: a) knock out an extra 3 feet or so of the balcony so we can see more of the stage from up top. B) replace 3-4 feet of the floor with some kind of transparent flooring ie. glass or plexiglass or somethin. This second option would be cool cuz maybe you could get a dance floor going upstairs at the same time for busy shows, and people dancing downstairs can get off on seeing people dancing above them, looking up peoples skirts, etc.

This second option would be cool cuz maybe you could get a dance floor going upstairs at the same time for busy shows, and people dancing downstairs can get off on seeing people dancing above them, looking up peoples skirts, etc.

Great idea KevO! Besides the whole upskirt thing, I really wish that the 2nd floor got some use... Sometimes you can barely move downstairs, then you come up and the place is empty... Get more dancers upstairs!