Jambands.ca

Xavier Rudd tonight

Velvet

Okay, when are you folks heading down? Going early or gonna party until the last moment?

I'm planning on an arrival between 6:30pm and 7:00pm; it may be later, depending on the weather. I'm working until around 4:30pm, so I'm not doing anything (except heading home, eating dinner, and packing up the rig) before the show.

Aloha,

Brad

I'm sure we'll be last minute arrivals.

What's the deal with this guy anyway? I listened to a few tracks online, and watched a videoclip from his website and was rather annoyed with his "i wanna be Dave Matthews" vocals.

I saw him playing a guitar on his lap while playing the digereedoo(sp?) and I think he was performing cyclic breathing. If that's the case, and he's got a bunch of talent, I'll probably get past the vocals.

I think his vocals (plus the way he plays guitar) remind me more of Ben Harper than Dave Matthews; I find his vocals infused with a bit more emotion and passion than Matthews, and it seems that, while Matthews sings the way he does because he wants to, Harper and Rudd sing the way they do because they have to.

Aloha,

Brad

I think there was some confusion the other night at Bluesfest, some people thought ahess was aberg...I don't see how though, your avatars are obviously way different ;)

So Rudd at 5:45 eh....God damn that's early. The plan remains? Hit up Rudd then head down to the Beer Store then over to Matty's. I'm out for the afternoon but will be home before 5, so if everyone wants to meet over here for 5 like usual, c'mon over.

From a Xavier Rudd message board post:

By the end of the festival, Rudd was the year's bestselling artist. According to Compact Music co-owner Ian Boyd, more than 900 Rudd CDs were sold in his merchandise tents.

Rudd also gets our award for the discovery of the year.

(I assume that's from a newspaper article somewhere, but I can't find the original.)

900 CDs @ $20 each works out to $18,000*. I hope this bodes well for the promised return visit in the fall.

Aloha,

Brad

*Does Rudd get all that, or does Compact Music get a cut?

I'm assuming that since it was the Compact Music on-site store that they would get the normal cut as if you bought it from them in the Glebe. Anyone know the real deal on this? It wasn't sold from the merch tent so I doubt Rudd would be getting more of a cut that from a normal CD sale..

btw that was from an article in the Ottawa Citizen yesterday.

And, did you know Rudd has recorded 3 of his 4 records in Canada, including two live albums? And his Weissenborn style guitar was built (luthiered - is that the right use of the word?) by a guy in Vancouver.

He's got a very informative website.

AD