Jambands.ca

The Polyphonic Spree

mister slippery

how have i missed the chance to have this in my discman or dvd player every day???

this is fantastic, i just never payed attention cause everyone compared em to the flaming lips all the time. not that i dont dig the flaming lips, theyre ok, but the comparison didnt intrigue me, i guess.

now, had those people said "its like the flaming lips meeting janes addiction and the beach boys( with permissible time travel, to capture the beach boys in '66, of course)" i would been all over them.

this is brilliant! i refer to the dvd portion of the new album by that, which is playing "when the fool becomes a king" right now.

i gotta see these guys live, ideally somewhere huge.

babble, babble, babble.

I saw them open for Bowie. I basically hate the kind of music you describe. For me, the Lips are total crap etc. but ... I was entertained at Bowie by the Spree. In the final analysis, that's all that matters. I was smiling so it worked.

Steve

• 3 months later...

I love bands that add more to their performance than just playing the songs, but these guys were almost too much in their celestial robes and ear-to-ear synchronized smiles (also in the Bowie audience). A little too cheese-ball for the Marginator (though, if you catch me on the right/wrong day, perhaps) Cheers!

I like em, i own 'Together we're heavy' and it's fun- good weird rock at points, Sesame street Chorus meets the Manson family at others.. I think its in the same park (production wise) as the lips last couple albums, and I can see where the comparisons are coming from, but the music is nowhere near as good, imo.

I saw them perform on the Video Music Awards. It was unreal. This group of musicians -- big band, with, like a 10 person choir. It was crazy! The best part was, for the awards, they were each wearing a different color robe.

They're really happy, and they're really upbeat. Their sound is killer, and, usually this could be attributed to heavy faith, but I don't hear a lot of that in their music.