Jambands.ca

GYPSY JAZZ GUITARIST DUANE ANDREWS RELEASES CD

Jay Funk Dawg

dvd_cover.jpg

www.duaneandrews.ca

FREE ADMISSION + FREE DRINK

GYPSY JAZZ GUITARIST DUANE ANDREWS RELEASES CD AT THE DRAKE HOTEL ON JULY 29TH.

Newfoundland troubadour, DUANE ANDREWS will debut his long awaited original Gipsy, Jazz and Django Reinhardt inspired self titled CD at the Drake Hotel on July 29th. The performance starts at 9:30pm and is preceded by a screening of “Water Street”, a Newfoundland music documentary he recently co-produced.

Duane Andrews is the leader on the album, which features of a group of accomplished musicians who honor the legacy of great French Gipsy jazz guitarist Django Reinhardt. Andrews has recorded and produced an impressive and enjoyable CD incorporating Reinhardt’s compositions, traditional Newfoundland music and Andrews’ original tunes. He will be playing with Toronto's Graig Earl (bass) and Roberto Rosenman (guitar).

Highly respected as a versatile and experienced sideman and producer in the East Coast music scene, Andrews has worked with such diverse groups as rising star vocalist Jenny Gear (with whom he’s producing her debut CD set for a September Release), Afro-Newfoundland band Mopaya, renowned Bluesman Denis Parker, and the Chieftains to name only a few.

His latest project has been received with great encouragement, with notable performances the 2004 North American Folk Alliance Conference in San Diego CA, 2004 Canadian Music in Toronto, the 2004 St. John’s Jazz Festival and 2003 Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Festival.

Andrews is featured performer and musical director in “Water Street”, a feature documentary exploring the fierce indie music scene of St. John's, Newfoundland. Toronto based Newfoundland feature director, Sheldon Gillett, presents an insiders look at the local music scene, highlighted by 10 key performers who describe the lifestyle, misconceptions, success through perseverance & the wildly diverse musical culture of St. John's, Newfoundland.

DUANE ANDREWS CD RELEASE AT THE DRAKE HOTEL

9:30 pm, Thursday, July 29th, 2004

The Drake Hotel

1150 Queen Street West

6:30 Cocktails

7:30 Feature Presentation of “Water Street”

9:00 Meet and mingle

9:30 DUANE ANDREWS Toronto CD release

I'm sorry to say that I won't be able to make this event. This week has just been way too crazy already. :(

What really shocks me is that no one else has showed any interest. I'd practically give my right arm to check this out. What the matter? No one thinks that the music scene in Newfoundland or the musical stylings of Django are interesting? Are you people crazy? ::