Jambands.ca

Doesn't ANYBODY like reggae anymore?!?!?!?

Thorgnor

It seems like they don't. Not much of response for the Resinators shows i post either but their last gig at PJC was their best turn out yet. There's a pretty good buzz around Hamilton about the Truths & Rights gig so I'm thinking it should be very well attended. I'm in!

Doesn't ANYBODY like reggae anymore?!?!?!?

Actually, I've never been much of a fan. I like a couple of songs and then I find I get bored. Not that I wouldn't go to the show just to hang out, listen to a great band, and have a few beers with some great friends, but I've got other plans that night. :(

After years of being too overwhelmed to venture beyond the Bob Marley and Peter Tosh catalogues (and the Harder They Come sdtk), I've recently, in the past 6 months or so, been leaning towards educating myself about the rest of the reggae world, and it's been a great experience. I've got a long way to go but I've really been enjoying what I've heard from a couple of well-selected compilations I've picked up, specifically from what I can tell is relatively "early" reggae, say from the mid 1960's to the very early 1970's. Reggae has always been, near as I can tell, a very "singles"-minded business and in Jamaica they still have a huge singles market to this day, so the genre is filled with artists who made great, hit records but may not have had enough high-end material to merit a fully comprehensive collection to themselves, so the series of compilation packages from labels like Trojan and Soul Jazz are, I'm finding, a good way to hear a lot of artists in one go without getting overwhelmed by the wealth of releases out there.

I've always been fascinated by reggae because it is so unique. The people of the small island and nation of Jamaica took a bit of folk tradition, a whole lotta Caribbean rhythms, a taste of the pop hits coming over from BBC radio, a liberal sprinkle of American R&B vocal stylings and turned it into their most vital cultural export, a gift to the world.

I've also been doing my reading, and have enjoyed learning much more about the roots of Rastafarianism, it has made a lot of songs that much more special now that I know what the artists are referring to.

I hope to make it out Saturday night but it'll be quite late before I can get there. I have no doubt this will be a great show. I hope there is a fantastic turnout for this event!

Not to mention the fact that they must have stolen the Big Sugar Soundsystem and they have massive volume!!!!!:) Seriously, bring earplugs. I've never worn them to a show before but at the last one in Cambridge I definately got damaged. My ears rang for three days.:(

I truly believe that Reggae music is one of the most beautiful things on the planet Earth. Anyone who disagrees, listen to the passionate singing and rotund bass grooves of Burning Spear... especially 'Slavery Days', 'Lion', and 'Man in the Hills.'

Good Reggae music a come streeat from de 'eart!

i too LOVE reggae music

and in fact went to see Burning Spear in Toronto on Canada Day

other than YO, I was the only skanc there! (that i ran into anyway)

it was a great show as always ::

hey, PhishyK...you are SO fortunate to be back on the Island as Winston and the Burning Band are playing a bunch of shows out there.

one of the gigs is in Tofino! ::

and 2 shows in Nelson :: ::

Sep 4 Malkin Bowl Vancouver, CA

Sep 5 Centennial Square Victoria, BC

Sep 6 The Legion Tofino, BC

Sep 7 Buffalo Bills Whistler, BC

Sep 8 Fluid Lounge Nelson, BC

Sep 9 Fluid Lounge Nelson, BC

i LOVE bob marley, but like marcO, i haven't ventured much beyond the bob... do you have "chant down babylon"? soooo good... i saw the resinators when they came to london in march and they were great... if i had any dough at all i would definitely take you and miss lesley up to the hammer, but i am one broke ass bi-atch and i have to lay low in order to somehow wheedle my way to see the Dead at Darien... anyway, more than you wanted to know, and i hope you guys make it! jahluv :)