Jambands.ca

good CD shops in Southern Ontario.....

MarcO

...for non-rock stuff?

I long to be able to just peruse some quality jazz stuff (I'd particularly like to fondle some ECM releases) and interesting neo-classical stuff like Gavin Bryars and Steve Reich. Sam The Record Man in Hamilton had a great selection at one time but they have folded and now I'm having trouble finding a place with good selection.

Thing is, I don't always go into a store looking for something specific, I like to flip through and take some chances from time to time.

Also, I'm far from rich so..... anybody know any good places around the Southern Ontario (Hamilton) area that fits the bill?

thanks in advance.

Encore Records in Kitchener....still my vote as best shop ever....damn i miss it. The staff are super friendly and knowledgable about tons of different types of music...there's Lennnon and Zappa gold records on the wall, huge used selection and amazing jazz, acid-jazz, lounge, electronica, death metal and rap sections to complement the rock. And little or no HMV/top-10 filler crap. Talk to them about anything recorded, they probably know. And they can order most things...

Back in the day Dr. Disc used to be similar, but i haven't been there in years....

Also, in Toronto, there's Vortex, or Rotate This(which is a bit pricey but amazing selection ...and snobby staff) as well as She Said Boom.

I'm a huge fan of Vortex, I always walk out of there with a gem in my hands.

This doesn't really help you too much Marc, but there is another shop in Toronto on Yonge just south of Eglington called "Back Beat", they specalize in jazz.

My dream would be to run a CD shop that only sells the kind of music I want. I'd also have to right to be really rude when people want pop crap (a la Jack Black in High Fidelity).

There used to be a great jazz store in the west Beach, Queen near Woodbine... can't for the life of me remember what it was called, but it was on the north side. I think it's still there...

Boy, that's helpful, isn't it?!? [Razz]

Oh and CH, good call on Back Beat. In the same area, just north of Eg is Toronto's best record store for your more typical rock/pop oriented stuff, Edward's Records - although they do have a bit of jazz etc. Typically way better prices on new releases than HVM or Music World, and great used stuff as well.

Peace,

Mr. M.

Right on, thanks for the tips.

I'll be in T.O. on Saturday May 10th for the Ontario College of Art & Design open-house show (it's a fantastic, donation-at-the-door event, you really should go if you can) so I'll try to pop into a few of those places then. It's been a few years since I poked around the Toronto CD stores. And maybe a trip to Kitchener is in order.

Damn, I miss Sam The Record Man here in Hamilton!

I'm in the mood for a taco.

On McCaul Street, just north of Queen in Toronto is a cool place called Penguin Records. That store carries all sorts of stuff.... from noize to polka.... its nuts.

Next door, there is another store (same owners) which specializes in Jazz. I can't remember the name right now....

The staff is helpful and really cool. Check it out if you can.

Archived