Jambands.ca

Little Trip to HMV

secondtube

In Limeridge Mall. Major CD sale going on. Thousands of cd's, less than 10 bucks.

I scored:

Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil...................9.99

Pat Metheney Group - Letter from Home....6.99

Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else........9.99

Grant Green - Am I Blue?...........................9.99

Maybe you should check it out MarcO.

I'm glad i did.

Guest Low Roller

quote:

Originally posted by secondtube:

I'm not familiar with any of the bands/people mentioned above. Care to elaborate SecondTube?

quote:

Originally posted by Low Roller:

quote:

I'm not familiar with any of the bands/people mentioned above. Care to elaborate SecondTube?

In case he doesn't, I'll give what I can.

Wayne Shorter is a jazz saxophone (primarily tenor, but also soprano) player. He was with Miles Davis' 1960s quintet (with Herbie Hancock, Tony Williams, and Ron Carter), and was also with him during the "Bitches Brew" period before leaving to help found seminal jazz/rock fusion group "Weather Report".

Pat Metheny is a jazz guitar god. One of his outdoor shows at the Montreal Jazz Festival holds the record for the biggest draw of any MJF show.

(Julian) Cannonball Adderly was a jazz alto sax player; he was also with Miles, but back in the 1950s (1958-1959, roughly; the "Kind of Blue" period, along with Bill Evans and John Coltrane). His "Somethin' Else" album also has Miles on it as a sideman.

IIRC, Grant Green is one of the legendary jazz guitar players, but I'm not familiar with his work.

Aloha,

Brad

Well I dont know tons about any of them, but what i can tell you is...

Shorter played with Miles Davis on the Bitches Brew set and had a solo career with Weather Report. He plays a bad ass Sax. The cd i purchased has him playing with Herbie Hancock.

Pat Metheney is a guitar and jazz legend. Starting on trumpet at the age of 8, Metheny switched to guitar at age 12. By the age of 15, he was working regularly with the best jazz musicians in Kansas City. Metheny first burst onto the international jazz scene in 1974. With the release of his first album, Bright Size Life (1975), he reinvented the traditional “jazz guitar” sound for a new generation of players.

Over the years, he has performed with artists as diverse as Steve Reich to Ornette Coleman to Herbie Hancock to Jim Hall to Milton Nascimento to David Bowie . Metheny’s body of work includes compositions for solo guitar, small ensembles, electric and acoustic instruments, large orchestras, and ballet pieces, with settings ranging from modern jazz to rock to classical.

At 18, he was the youngest teacher ever at the University of Miami. At 19, he became the youngest teacher ever at the Berklee College of Music, where he also received an honorary doctorate more than twenty years later (1996). Years before the invention of MIDI technology, Metheny was using the Synclavier as a composing tool. He also been instrumental in the development of several new kinds of guitars such as the soprano acoustic guitar, the 42-string Pikasso guitar, Ibanez1s PM-100 jazz guitar, and a variety of other custom instruments.

Metheny has won countless polls as “Best Jazz Guitarist". He has also won fourteen Grammy Awards spread out over a variety of different categories including Best Rock Instrumental, Best Contemporary Jazz Recording, Best Jazz Instrumental Solo, Best Instrumental Composition. The Pat Metheny Group won an unprecedented seven consecutive Grammies for seven consecutive albums. Metheny has spent most of his life on tour, averaging between 120-240 shows a year since 1974.

Adderley clearly had his own approach to the horn, which drew on the inspiration of Benny Carter as well as Parker. Miles Davis,who featured the alto saxophonist in the immortal Miles Davis sextet (alongside John Coltrane and either Red Garland, Bill Evans,or Wynton Kelly) for two years beginning in late 1957.

And Finally Grant Green.

Grant Green learned his instrument in grade school from his guitar-playing father and was playing professionally by the age of thirteen with a gospel group. Green was a superb blues interpreter, and his later material was predominantly blues and R&B, though he was also a wondrous ballad and standards soloist. He was a particular admirer of Charlie Parker, and his phrasing often reflected it. During the early '60s, both his fluid, tasteful playing in organ/guitar/drum combos and his other dates for Blue Note established Green as a star, though he seldom got the critical respect given other players. Green played with Stanley Turrentine, Dave Bailey, Yusef Lateef, Joe Henderson, Hank Mobley, Herbie Hancock, McCoy Tyner and Elvin Jones.

Sadly, drug problems interrupted his career in the '60s, and undoubtedly contributed to the illness he suffered in the late '70s.

A severely underrated player during his lifetime, Grant Green is one of the great unsung heroes of jazz guitar. Green always claimed he listened to horn players (Charlie Parker and Miles Davis) and not other guitar players, and it shows. No other player has this kind of single-note linearity (he avoids chordal playing). There is very little of the intellectual element in Green's playing, and his technique is always at the service of his music. And it is music, plain and simple, that makes Green unique.

Guest Low Roller

quote:

Well I dont know tons about any of them...

No kidding? [Wink]

Thanks for the info. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for some Pat Metheny and Wayne Shorter for sure.

Well, ok, i know a little about the guitar guys. Metheney and Grant Green are two that i listen to constantly.

Cannonball and Shorter are the brass i'm getting into, especially Shorter. I also have JuJU and Footnotes by Shorter, Footnotes is live; and amazing.

Jukejoint is the band i must credit to my eye opening...

Grant Green is a much overlooked Jazz guitar GOD!! Wes Montgomery is good yes but....

Check these out for killer stuff:

Live at the Lighthouse

Green is Beautiful

Alive

and for a teaser download his version of "Windjammer" live or studio...

Another killer funk/jazz pioneer often overlooked is trumpeter Donald Byrd. Ethiopian Knights finally got released on CD and is readily available now, 2 15+ minute killer tunes and one slow song sandwiched between...amazing. But the real deal is the album 'Electric Byrd' -a total sonic treat, it's one of the first jazz albums with delays and effects-notably on his trumpet...pissed alot of the purists off and pretty well ostracized him from the 'hard-bop' collective he was part of....

quote:

"Am I Blue" is good, but if you're looking for early Grant Green, I really recommend "Idle Moments" and "Green Street".

"Speak No Evil" is a great album. I also recommend "The All-Seeing Eye" and "Juju", not to mention all of the Miles Davis Quintet albums from the "E.S.P." through "Miles In The Sky". Shorter was the main songwriter in Davis' group at the time.

"Somethin' Else" is a fine album too. Miles Davis plays trumpet on this one. Actually, if I remember correctly, it's largely Miles' fifties band that backs Cannonball on this album.

Bluenote records has done an excellent job of restoring/remastering a large portion of their catalogue through their new RVG Series. Rudy van Gelder, the original engineer has gone back to the original tapes and made everything sound very fresh and clear again. In addition, the titles are usually mid-price range, from about $12.99 - $15.99 depending on where you shop.

I have picked up many myself.

Some other suggestion for ya, Steve, since you seem to be on a real jazz kick over the last few months (all of these are RVG Bluenote releases - of course, there are many other excellent labels doing fabulous remastering jobs, but these are good and cheap!):

Horace Silver - "Song For My Father"*

Andrew Hill - "Point Of Departure"

Bobby Hutcherson - "Dialogue"

Joe Henderson - "Our Thing"

Herbie Hancock - "Maiden Voyage"

Herbie Hancock - "Emyprean Isles"

Larry Young - "Unity"

Lee Morgan - "The Sidewinder"

Freddie Hubbard - "Hub-tones"

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - "Moanin'"

*it will take about 1/3 of a second to figure out where Steely Dan got the bassline for "Rikki Don't Lose That Number".

There. That should empty your wallet for a while... Still full? I can make some more recommendations...

its a fun kick...

[big Grin]

Right now i'm listening to Modern Groove Syndicate , which i guess is a jamband, and very good jamband at that. I'm amazed at how laid back these guys are, yet groovy. Not to mention to bassist sounds like a young Vic Wooten. (yes i did say that, he is that good).

Going to dive into a bunch of jazz later on this afternoon, as tonight i have my first night school class, and i want to be in a good frame of mind.

quote:

Originally posted by hamilton:

"Somethin' Else" is a fine album too. Miles Davis plays trumpet on this one. Actually, if I remember correctly, it's largely Miles' fifties band that backs Cannonball on this album.

Not really. The line-up is:

Miles Davis: trumpet

Cannonball Adderly: alto sax

Hank Jones: piano

Sam Jones: bass

Art Blakey: drums

The only guys from Miles' band are Miles and Cannonball.

Aloha,

Brad

quote:

Originally posted by bradm:

quote:

Originally posted by hamilton:

Not really. The line-up is:

Miles Davis: trumpet

Cannonball Adderly: alto sax

Hank Jones: piano

Sam Jones: bass

Art Blakey: drums

The only guys from Miles' band are Miles and Cannonball.

Aloha,

Brad

Ha-ha!! I went home last night, and the first thing I did was check the disc to see if my memory was working properly. The first thing that I found out was that it wasn't... what a surprise!! [big Grin]

Brian.

Hey Second Tube, since you seem to be on a very healthy non-jamband jazz kick ( focusing mainly but not exclusively on great guitarists ), you have to start listening to ( if you haven't already ) to one of the greatest guitarists of them all: Django Reinhardt . You should be able to get some of his compilations at a good price. Start with: Djangology, Vol. 1: 1934-35. This disc features Django's great musical foil, the great Stephane Grappelli on violin. Grappelli's one of the greatest of violinists of all time. You haven't lived until you hear these two greats play together, and fortunately, they played together a lot.

Archived