Jambands.ca

5 fav. new(ish) albums?

mikey d

I've realy been developing a thing for quiet, laid-back acoustic singer-songwriter stuff recently, as well as clutterred, poppy indie-rock.

Hayden - Elk-Lake Serenade: His newest album, it immeadiately caught my attention because the first tune, 'Wide Eyes' sounds surprisingly alot like Tom Waits. I listened to this album for the first time half-passed out on my buddies floor the day after a 2 day long party when i was at teh point where I could hardly keep my eyes open but i just didnt want the party to end, and I found it to be one of the most soothing, gentle albums I have ever heard. Needless to say, it put me to sleep.

James Plouffe - Self Titled. I suppose i am a little biased as James is one of my closest friends, but this is really a remarkable first attempt of his at putting his songs onto record. His style is quite unique (I would occasionally compare his guitar playing to a drunken Keller Williams and his singing to a drunken Bob Dylan) and his lyrics are quite profound and beautiful at times. People in the Peterborough region should definately stay on the look-out for James over the next couple years. (If anyone wants a copy of this I'd be more than glad to hook 'em up).

The Unicorns - Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone? I can not really express my feelings for thi album towards someone who hasn't heard it yet. The Unicorns are certainly one of the most charming bands I have heard over the past year - their music has the unique ability to make me laugh my ass off while still pumping out extremely fine-tuned, well-written songs. This album is truly a pop-rock masterpiece.

Of Montreal - Satanic Panic in the Attic. The way a friend described this album to me before I had heard it (At the time I was familiar with their older stuff, but had heard this new album was quite different) as 'Take Srgnt. Peppers, mix it with Pet Sounds, and multiply the amount of LSD used in the process by about 50 times'. I was skeptical, but after purchasing the album yesterday I wasimpressed to discover that this was a rather accurate description. You will have to hear it for yourself.

The Beastie Boys - To The 5 Burroughs. I purchased this yesterday as well and havent had too much of an opportunity to revel in it just yet, but what I heard truly impressed me. The Beastie Boys really have been improving with age, as far as I am concerned, and this new album is very well-pollished both production wise and as far as song-writing goes and really showcases their incredible talent and further proves their relevance to modern music.

so how about you all? what 5 new(ish) (By new(ish) i mean relatively new) albums have been getting you all excited recently?

Comets On Fire - Blue Cathedral. This album is like rolling Blue Cheer, Mudhoney, Anthem-era Dead and Quicksilver Messenger Service into one. The heavy stoner-psych album of the summer.

GD - Dicks picks 32. Just picked this up at Darien and it is a fun early 80s show. Another great Alpine Valley China>Rider, plus a 2-part Playing, a Morning Dew and a cool Music Never Stopped>Sugaree>Music Never Stopped to open the show. Wow!

Meshuggah - 1. This is one single twenty minute track of totally intricate death metal. You either love or hate this stuff. I love it when it is done well.

The Fall - 50,000 Fall Fans Can't be Wrong. New 39 track 2 CD compilation of highlights from one of the most important UK post punk bands ever. They may have never become a huge band, but almost everything Mark E Smith and co. have touched has at least been interesting.

v/a - Dylan Country. Great compilation of country artists covering Dylan. Includes Johnny Cash, Buck Owens and many many more. It works because the tracks weren't recorded just for this collection, they come from the past 30 years.

Can't think of my five off hand but I just wanted to say that The Unicorns were just as charming live at Hillside as they are on recording. You can tell they have a twisted comraderie and deep bond. I know they are associated with Montreal but aren't two of them from Campbell River, BC? Anyways they really killed at Hillside. I've heard funny stories since like when they turned up in town to pick up their passes they asked if they were allowed dogs on the island which they were told they weren't (they later incorporated an electronic talking dog into their set that didn't talk or do whatever it was supposed to so the whole thing sort of fell apart). I also gathered later they were ripped to the gills on mushrooms during their set which also makes perfect sense in hindsight cause they were even odder then you would have anticipated. They invited a couple of their scenester buddies up on stage during their set to do a bongo solo which was obviously a dig at the pseudo tribal drum circlers that abound at Hillside. When in rome.

i just got back from Grooves... finally london gets a good all around kickass record shop! anyways, i only had enough coin for a couple discs, but i easily could have picked up 10 and still not gotten enough... anyways..

not new at all, but new to me as a whole album, Built To Spill's Keep It Like A Secret... ahh, brings me back to my last year in college... great times... one of indie rocks finest albums from one of indie rocks finest bands.

and i also picked up the Red Krayola's singles collection... usually, im not one for compilations, but its so fu©king hard to find anything by these guys, with most of it the older weirder stuff being out of print, and not many record stores taking a chance on Drag City bands... anyhoo, havent listened to it yet, but im real excited!

edit: actually dont recognize any of these songs on this krayola album, but its really fu©king good! imagine broken social scene and tom waits got together and did an album... it could be either the early 70's, or the early 80's, or the early 90's, or the early 2000's... take your pick... sh!t like this is just timeless.