Jambands.ca

Riot at Coventry Time?

secondtube

as i figured:

"He said what people are doing that got turned away is heading back South, then back up North on a different route, then setting up camp in people's yards, farms, side of the road, and hiking 3-5 miles to the festival.

He said that nobody is going home, everyone is hiking in. "

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got a call from Laurie's sister Karen who said they were told to turn around and go home, they'd get refunded. This after driving all through last night.

However, she said they joined the many people who just parked their cars bumper-to-bumper at the side of the road (so as not to get towed) and are hiking it in. The words she used were "disaster area". We shall see. To be honest, she sounded pretty bummed.....

TimmyB, Hamilton and Rachael left about 4 or 5 hrs before Karen, so I wonder how they are faring?

What a shame. After so many succesful festivals, what a heartbreak they're final biggie goes to crap because of the weather. I can't see any way they can reschedule a fesstival this year anywhere, and I'd be surprised if they could ever have access to the VT site ever again.

Mike Gordons Message On the Bunny

Right Click, and Save As

From the Globe:

A law enforcement official who asked not to be named said tow trucks had been sent to the highway to remove the abandoned cars.

That would just be the worst. Hiking 15 miles to the show, and then hiking 15 miles back only to discover that your car isn't there.

Damn...

When do the sets start? I've got XM radio Music Lab (XM 51) going right now streamed off the xm radio website.... is this the right station that will be airing all the goodness this weekend? Also, the sucks about all the weather and people being turned away. I'm crossing my fingers that there will be good weather for evolve.. at least it's only 6000 people.

i just talked to the brennan-booche crew. they are camping at a woman's farm about 7 miles from the show......they are safe, set-up and all is good. the people from the farm are shuttling them in their trucks to within 2.5 miles from the show and they'll have to hike in the rest of the way. but their vehicles are safe and they have a place to call home.

this farm is off of exit 27 and there are signs posted if anyone else needs a place to stay.

Thanks for the update Rebe's!

That's great news...I hope they get their music. A 2.5 mile walk is nothing, but what about the hike back? I wonder if she's meeting them at set times?

I was thinking we might have to setup some sort of party in Ottawa tonight for them if they were to come back. I hope everyone else finds some sort of solution like that.

was worried this might come up... the 2 state wide "heavy rain warning" is just passing over that area, caused by the smaller hurricane earlier this week and now they're supposed to get the full brunt of downgraded hurricane charley by tomorrow night

well hope the band plays for those who got in/those who abandoned their cars to be towed and got in (where the hell are they going to put 30,000 cars?)/and those who paid for the simulcast

lookin like their may be yet another final show

and super glad to hear people are getting set up (go Booche, all skanks and every phan who'se still gonna try for a show!!!)

Phish fans turned away

By Andy Netzel | Free Press Staff Writer

Updated August 14, 1:25 p.m.

COVENTRY — Phish is turning away thousands of fans from all over the country who were traveling to Coventry for what was slated as the Burlington-based jam band’s final show.

More than 20 miles worth of motorists were being sent back down the freeway and hoards of fans are abandoning their cars and walking to the concert site. Walking on an interstate highway is not legal, however state troopers were not arresting those who were making the trek.

Police allowed about 12 miles of waiting fans between Interstate 91 and the concert venue to continue the crawl to the show.

The constant rain showers that began Wednesday have turned farm fields into a soupy mess. The fields, which served as parking lots, have not functioned well since Thursday, when farm tractors began dragging cars into their spots.

The announcement was made at about 9 a.m. Saturday by bass player Mike Gordon on the local radio station Phish took over for the concert weekend.

“Everything is flooded,” Gordon said. “We can’t get all the cars in here.”

This came after guitar player Trey Anastasio told fans in Morristown, N.J. Thursday not to show up to the Northeast Kingdom until Saturday to give the ground time to dry out. The message was carried across the country on XM Satellite Radio and relayed in television and newspaper reports.

The band will refund all unused tickets and, Gordon said, will brainstorm a way to make it up to fans.

That could mean another concert, said Dave Werlin, president of Great Northeast Productions, the company putting on the concert.

“I understand that the band is going to think about that,” he said. “This is as fresh for them as it is for us.”

Phish feels obligated to do something for the fans who were shut out from the concert, Werlin said. Phish sold 70,000 tickets for their sold-out show. After earlier this year announcing they were disbanding, the Saturday and Sunday show is scheduled to be their last concert together.

Vermont State Police and the band considered parking cars on other farm fields, but they are just as muddy as the ones rented for the concert, Gordon said. Parking in a gravel pit was also considered, but that option was not possible either.

Rain has pummeled the region throughout the wet summer, and the clay soil has not soaked up the water well. Rain has not caused as many issues at past festivals, where the band performed on giant airstrips in flatter areas with more sandy soil.

“We always plan for weather,” Werlin said, “but this was overwhelming.”

The promoters have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars buying gravel, sand and wood chips to deal with the inclement weather. More than 50 percent of the planned parking spots were lost to the mud. The group was prepared to lose as much as 20 percent to bad weather — a number they initially thought would be adequate even during a bad storm.

“It was used to build roads, rebuild roads and rebuild them again when they washed out,” Werlin said.

“We spared no expense.”

The concert promoters declined to give an estimate of how many ticketholders made it into the concert venue. The last estimate was 23,000 fans were in the gates at 4 p.m. Friday.

The fans that were being turned away were not disruptive, State Police Sgt. Bruce Melendy said. “We don’t feel like we have any rowdy, unruly people on our hands,” he said. “We feel we have frustrated people on our hands.”

Drivers have been on the road for hours, and Melendy suggested motorists stop at local hotels or campsites when they get the chance to catch up on sleep so they can drive safely.

“Bottom line, God has the monopoly on weather,” Werlin said.

Read tomorrow’s The Burlington Free Press for a full report.

wow thats something crazy to wake up to, i hope everyone if ok, and gets in / home safley

i really have to say its a poor show on phish, to let something like this happen on there " last" show

i just pray all my friends got in, and get of some time before winter.

I just talked to Andre.

They hooked up with EVERYONE except for Basher's team, jodie's crew and Paul/Barrett who are all inside.

They are all at some Pineview farm off Exit 27 and have dry dry dry land. They know that they have it really good, and much better than having their vehicles stuck inside until they can rebuild the roads that are washed out.

YEEHAW! serious good news.