Jambands.ca

Riot at Coventry Time?

secondtube

just got back from being turned away...I hit the traffic between exit 24 and 25 yesterday at 1pm. I moved less then 1 mile all night until they turned us away this morning. I was more then 25 miles from the venue and cars were backed up at least 10 miles behind me in the right hand lane and breakdown lane. There wasn't any rioting or anything, we had no choice but to turn around on the emergency lanes and head south. Alot of people with tear in their eyes.

Quote:

I'd park the car in some trees & hoof it in w/ my pack if I had to

that might have worked for some but there were 20,000 plus fans that were 15+ miles out from the venue. That's a lot of walking in birkenstocks, especially if you haven't trained for it. I was standing in line with one girl and she was getting ready to head out and I calculated it would take her at least 8 hours of solid walking to make it to the gate. She got back in the car and headed south too.

This really sucks, words can't describe how upset and pissed off I am that they didn't just cancel this on wednesday or thursday when it was pouring like hell, they had to have known this would happen.

They want to make it up to me? I'll take every live phish released and futre releases please.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I was standing in line with one girl and she was getting ready to head out and I calculated it would take her at least 8 hours of solid walking to make it to the gate. She got back in the car and headed south too.

This really sucks, words can't describe how upset and pissed off I am that they didn't just cancel this on wednesday or thursday when it was pouring like hell, they had to have known this would happen.

First off, 15miles should take 8 hours to walk should it? But if all these people do walk what will they eat and drink? Crazy..

Second, buddy makes a good point. In a lot of ways this must have been a "the show must go on" attitude, because the weather that is being a problem is from days ago. Its sunny today. They should have cut their losses when they were saying "don't come til friday night or saturday morning" obviously they knew there was a problem.

I almost have to wonder if 30,000 tickets (the number reportedly inside) is enough to break even? I wouldn't be surprised if thats why they're going ahead with whatever they can...

first news, or hopefully bullshit rumor, about the stuff we dont want to read:

My brother just text messaged me and I'm going crazy. He said that people rushed the gates and pulled them down. Then I got a message that said "people trampled. hurt" I hope this is just an isolated incident because that's awful.

I'm not so cynical about the Phish organization manipulating a potentially dangerous situation just to recoup some costs. If this show means so much to the audience, I can only imagine what it meant for the band and its organization. I beleive they tried to make it work but the situation is shifting, hour to hour, and hard decisions have to made in conjunction with Great Northeastern Productions and local police. The end result of that process is bound to be frustration and a fair amount of contradiction. Whaddya going to do? There's going of be a lot of finger-pointing and passing of blame in the weeks to come, like any of that is going to make a damn bit of difference.

It's a bummer on every level. I am glad to hear the Ottawa crew made it ok, and would love to know how TimmyB and Hamilton are making out.

Here's an update from a couple friends off the GOTV site (which is teeming with updates).

Just got off the phone with Dancefeat...

He is confirming squankinds reports of VERY BAD conditions on the field. He is parked in the manure pit, and he said the sludge is coming up through the mud making an even bigger mess.

There are rumors abound that phish will not play on sunday due to the hurricane approaching.

He is thinking of leaving today for fear of conditions worsening overnight.

He said the place is a free for all, and there is no organization at all. They were completely unprepared for the weather.

He seems pretty unhappy and in pretty low spirits.

I'm not so cynical about the Phish organization manipulating a potentially dangerous situation just to recoup some costs. If this show means so much to the audience, I can only imagine what it meant for the band and its organization. I beleive they tried to make it work but the situation is shifting, hour to hour, and hard decisions have to made in conjunction with Great Northeastern Productions and local police. The end result of that process is bound to be frustration and a fair amount of contradiction. Whaddya going to do? There's going of be a lot of finger-pointing and passing of blame in the weeks to come, like any of that is going to make a damn bit of difference.

It's a bummer on every level. I am glad to hear the Ottawa crew made it ok, and would love to know how TimmyB and Hamilton are making out.

I can see what you're saying, but I think that on at least one point you're fundamentally wrong. The situation is not changing hour to hour (other then the possible future Charley remnants). The situation was bad and they tried to save it and were unable to. The question then becomes, did they actually have a reasonable or probable chance of saving it?

Andre said that no one really had to take off. Most farmers they saw were opening up land for phishheads to park and camp.

He said that it's not as bad as people are making it out. Mind you, he hadn't slept, had lotsa beer and probably hadn't been inside yet.

I wonder if Phish is starting yet?

He said that it's not as bad as people are making it out. Mind you, he hadn't slept, had lotsa beer and probably hadn't been inside yet.

Cool,so they are on site I take it?

I've only talked via phone to one person on site and she had the oppisite to say,but she tends to worry about things at times...

No. By inside, I meant on-site I guess. So they hadn't been in the site yet when I talked and he was using CanuckDuck's cellphone so I may call them later and ring his bill up some more to see if there is any updates.

His point was that people shouldn't have gone home, and shouldn't freak out. It is possible to get a place to camp off the grounds. Sure, it's more effort but it beats the alternatives.

I hope those mayhem rumours are false.

Jen sorta confirmed a few rumors for me:

No organization,alot of fence jumping,counterfit tix being found,cops/security are being dicks,some fights next to her site,sludge every where,she was told by security it maybe wednsday before they get her car out which has now sunk almost half over her tires.The rumors of Phish not playing are still floating around but as mentioned by her and here that is still unconfirmed rumor.She's not happy at all and wants to leave but can't....

But like I say she worries abit much at times,they'll probally be able to get her car out sooner.

I guess where she is its sloped downward then runs up,definatley a bad spot to park and no doubt she tried for awhile to move making it worse for herself.

Heres one pic I saw,but I also saw one of tractors pulling cars and trucks through deeper mud.(If I find it again I'll post it)

1092426456_6980.jpg

Again,like I said she tends to worry or stress abit much at times...

I've been reading the phone in reports and news posts on GOTV website myself and checking google news here and there.

Sure this is already posted but...

COVENTRY, Vt. (AP) - With hundreds of cars stuck in the mud and more pouring in, Vermont state police started turning back traffic headed to the Phish farewell concert Saturday, and told ticketholders they would get refunds but no admission.

Ottawa Citizen 1 hour ago