Jambands.ca

Just returned from the mud/coventry

dancingbear

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DWD was incredible...but for me the highlight was when we was all "Doin tha Bruno" To the left, left left, now to the right .....I almost shat myself

Did anyone else see the ballon tornado, i thought it was on strings on something but apparently it was some sort of updraft, crazy sh!t almost as crazy as the guy who got robbed in Camden then came to Coventry and got robbed again, and just as he's telling us this story with his hands on his head, a bird and comes and lands on the top of his hands/head sit for a minute and then flies off. WTF, did anyone see ANY birds at Coventry this weekend, maybe some high in the sky but that it...fu©ked eh!

The negativity is all bullshit, Phish did what they could. Trey really wanted it to be in the Northeast Kingdom because from the sounds of it, that's where Phish was born and thats where it had to be put to rest. The Hurricane was unexpected nothing could be done to stop and no amount of complaining was going to slow it down. Phish spent millions hauling in wood chips steel and lumber to help us out, only so much could be done once we were all in there, and besides whats a little Slog between 70,000 of your closest friends. I knew there would be serious negativity from those that got turned away but not from those that made it in, the sense of victory and completion alone should have been enough to keep you happy. Those that didn't make it in, weren't true fans (with exceptions), and I for one hope Trey did that on purpose just to get rid of all the excess slurry of scenesters...if you're in the flow you're in the show....and those that left forgot the age old adage Buy the ticket take the ride, no matter how hard or long that ride is.

I for one do think that everyone that bought a ticket to Coventry, in or not, should be refunded. That way no one can complain about anything, Phish has enough money to do it and it would forever solidify them in everyone's heart as the great benevolent entity they are. I love you Phish, I miss you already.

I have to re-iterate what Scottie King said, that SOME Americans are the greatest people in the world. Patti and Ed not only allowed us to camp on their property, and fed us hot coffee and muffins- but also welcomed us heartily telling us stories about their daughters, jobs and lives in general. It was wonderful to share the tales of woe and mud on Sunday morning, with someone who just kept saying that he couldn't believe how dedicated we all were.

And yes as vets of many a concert nightmare, we made out very well. The collective experience of overcoming the many obstacles all for the love of Phish, is a buzz that no drug will ever touch. Upon finally reaching the concert grounds on Saturday I actually screamed outloud. No profanity, no exclamations just a loud noise. It came involuntarily from inside, and it felt really good.

Freeker, you are in my heart forever. When will the bitching end? If the experience sucked for you, I really feel bad- but there is always a way to make lemonade out of the lemons you are dealt. Four days of torrential downpour is not something that anyone can plan for. I mean really when access roads are washed out, you are dealing with a natural anomaly which no one could have foreseen. And they did spend big $$ on hay, woodchips, hiring locals for shuttle service (do you think those 1000's of pickups on Sunday were there out of the goodness of their hearts?). They seemed to make the best out of the worst case scenario. And Fishmans heartfelt thanks on Sunday night was enough for my legs to not feel so cramped, and my eyes to well up just a little. They love Phish music, and as much as everyone has a hard time believing that rich guys care, they love us too.

Phish is a band, no more no less. They may have taken on 'epic' proportions in our collective scene- but man oh man they are still human. Who out there can't understand that they were giving up something they loved, and it was really hard for them? I don't care that Trey blew some notes (ok lots of notes), or that they didn't bust that Harpua. They reminded me why I fell in to the sea in the first place: music, people, good times. The band played a set of 2004 Phish, it wasn't perfect. But thats the point people!!!! They can't do recreate what they once did, the crowds are too big, and the whole thing is out of control. Have you ever heard of the Beatles? For all the naysayers who want technically perfect guitar, go see Pat Metheny. For those who wanted to dance, smile and say goodbye, you were probably with me at Coventry.

I don't want to hear about how wrecked Trey was, or that the Mike announcement was too late, or ill intentioned, or how blah blah blah sucked. Don't rain on the parade........ It was an experience unmatched in my limited 28 years. Something I will remember forever.

Moments:

1) Meeting up with tungsten and scottie. It wouldn't have been the same without them.

2) $3 a poop, and some kid walking over exclaiming "I'm looking for the 2 for $5 deal!"

3) Running into guys I worked with in RI, who were behind us on Rte 5 and had been waiting for 30 hours more than we had been.

4) Buying pixie sticks from the local children, not because we wanted them- but because they kept saying "Mom this is cool! Phish is cool!"

5) Playing the Phinal Phish Pool with my boys (and I won!)

6) First day, first set: Antelope. I heard the absolute first note, and went wild.

7) Getting back to camp after enduring the day, getting rides and taking in the show- to do what we always do: pull out the setlist, a fatty and some cold ones- and just marvel.

8) Those killer flatbread pizzas

9) Our host family who not only provided a place to stay, but also about 400 sq ft of plastic sheeting for us to dance on

10) Weekapaug. The "sharing in the groove" hit me hard, probably my most emotional moment.

11) Last but not least- the wide grinning glances shot back and forth all Sunday night between Scottie, Eric and I confirming that this was it, and that all was good because we couldn't have gone out any better.

Final Score:

Rain/ Mud 3

Northern Wish 11

Good times!

Sean ::

When will the bitching end?

When Phish reunites.Then a whole new round of bitchin and whining will commence (IMHO).

Not directing that at anyone,just in general,given all the sh!t I have read online.

there is always a way to make lemonade out of the lemons you are dealt.

emthup.gif

Positivity creates positve results.

Great read Sean,glad you had a good time.

Cheers

it's a little late, but thought i'd write a lil' something about my time - this was my first and last phish show and also my first festval this gynormous! The rain and the mud did suck- but i didn't even notice most of the time. I was too busy being totally enamoured (SP??) with the uninhibited, carefree kaos surrounding me at this festival! it was such a good time! everyone that i met was so cool and i love how it's an unspoken agreement that you're automotically friends with your neighbors! i met a bunch of cool americans and partied with Jeff and Chewy ( went with'em) and marie, brian adn buddies . Chewy - i am still goign to cheers you for the next year for the VIP passes- made it a hell of a lot eaasier- . i also have to say that it was humbling to see how many people put out so much freakin effort to see these guys perform ! what an amazing feeling to look back at 65000 fans funking out to phish after going through hell to get there !

i was especially impresseed with the response of the crowds to my green satin ballgown that i sported on sunday night! People would literally move to the sides as the prom queen gracefully strode down the ailes! ( then again, was that all in my head that night?!!)

i also enjoyed Marie's and i 's dance we performed as teh crowds were streaming towards us- i swear, that was my biggest performance yet! another highlight has to include brian's crew's call "hype, hype" to help a lost member return to teh tribe! priceless!

as for phish, as a novices opinion, i thought that they were still great- maybe it wasn't their best performance ever, but that's realistic- how could they play the same as they did 10 years ago?? if they weren't feeling the same way as they were then? i especially liked Chalkdust torture and Wilson !

was a great weekend and was money well spent!

vixen

I have never posted to this Board before, however, after this Pharewell show, I have to comment.

I was one of the unnamed friends of Velvet who joined him in this extravaganza.

As you have likely read Velvet's postings, I would think you can understand that it is hard to post anything about this experience in a truly positive light.

Frankly, I was more than a little annoyed that Phish seemed to begin lying to us months before the show, and continued to do so until the Saturday morning. Further, despite Mike's contention over the air on "the Bunny" that they "considered every option" to get the heads into the show, but there was "no choice" but to send everyone home, I find it very interesting that somehow tens of thousands of us made it in on our own. In my view, Phish took a very casual attitude toward its fans, who often travelled surreal distances at great expense to be there. I thought I had it rough, travelling about 5,000 kms, until I met people travelling from Switzerland and Japan! The fact is, Phish should have done SOMETHING. They did not have to leave us all out on the freeway plotting our anarchic solution as to how we would get in. All it would have required would have been a few shuttle buses picking us up along the highway to drive us in, with an assurance that our cars would be there on Monday morning when we returned. If Phish had merely offered that much, I would be much more forgiving right now. Instead, we had to figure it out ourselves.

I can certainly understand how nice of an ego-stroke it is to watch 70,000 people scramble around rural Vermont to salvage their roadtrip and see your band play, however, that is hardly an excuse for shutting us out and just sitting back to watch us suffer and freak out.

I feel really badly for people who actually left the show, and found out later that they could have gotten in!

Now, that being said, I am glad I went. Although the situation was far from ideal, and these were two of the weakest shows I have ever seen the band play, at least I have closure. In fact, I think I have the very closure I need to move on. Goodbye Phish; and frankly I don't know if I will truly miss you or simply my memories of what you used to be.

I know that some of you are going to read this and think I am just being negative. I even expect to receive replies that argue with some of what I said. Before you write those replies, though, think about it. Everyone deserves respect, and treating your fans as Phish treated us is hardly respectful.

Okay, I'll end on a positive note ... Chalkdust Torture rocked and I am glad I made it.

Paint A Vulgar Picture

The Smiths

At the record company meeting

On their hands - a dead star

And oh, the plans they weave

And oh, the sickening greed

At the record company party

On their hands - a dead star

The sycophantic slags all say :

"I knew him first, and I knew him well"

Re-issue ! Re-package ! Re-package !

Re-evaluate the songs

Double-pack with a photograph

Extra Track (and a tacky badge)

A-list, playlist

"Please them , please them !"

"Please them !"

(sadly, THIS was your life)

But you could have said no

If you'd wanted to

You could have said no

If you'd wanted to

BPI, MTV, BBC

"Please them ! Please them !"

(sadly this was your life)

But you could have said no

If you'd wanted to

You could have walked away

...Couldn't you ?

I touched you at the soundcheck

You had no real way of knowing

In my heart I begged "Take me with you ...

I don't care where you're going..."

But to you I was faceless

I was fawning, I was boring

Just a child from those ugly new houses

Who could never begin to know

Who could never really know

Oh ...

Best of ! Most of !

Satiate the need

Slip them into different sleeves !

Buy both, and feel deceived

Climber - new entry, re-entry

World tour ! ("media whore")

"Please the Press in Belgium !"

(THIS was your life...)

And when it fails to recoup ?

Well, maybe :

You just haven't earned it yet, baby

I walked a pace behind you at the soundcheck

You're just the same as I am

What makes most people feel happy

Leads us headlong into harm

So, in my bedroom in those 'ugly new houses'

I danced my legs down to the knees

But me and my 'true love'

Will never meet again ...

At the record company meeting

On their hands - at last ! - a dead star !

But they can never taint you in my eyes

No, they can never touch you now

No, they cannot hurt you, my darling

They cannot touch you now

But me and my 'true love'

Will never meet again