Jambands.ca

Update: COME TOGETHER MUSIC FEST Labour Day....

shainhouse

Yeah, that budget excuse sounds thin.

This has been done to death in other threads but Rick owned Frontier, so the costs were way down, hence the extra $ for entertainment...this is the price you pay when a backyard festival gets too big and has to go legit, I myself, think it's a good thing. I gladly pay the extra few bucks for proper facilities. ::

If I'm lucky enough to have the freedom to go, I'm goin'. :D

and PS...not everyone gets obliterated on drugs or NEEDS to get obliterated on drugs to have a good time. Maybe you need some new friends dude.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking forward to a weekend where I'll be hearing lots of sweet live music, camping at a campground that includes a nice swimming hole and big trees, and partying with some of the kindest folks that I have ever met. And the schedule for the weekend is looking pretty sweet as it currently stands:

Friday September 3:

08:00 p.m. Yellow Butterfly

09:00 p.m. Cosmic Boogie Band

11:30 p.m. to be announced

Saturday September 4:

01:00 p.m. The SilverTones (steel drum band)

02:30 p.m. to be announced

04:00 p.m. Stutter

05:30 p.m. Steve & Crazy Stickbird

07:00 p.m. Mark Wilson & The Way It Is

08:30 p.m. Jomomma

10:00 p.m. The New Shady Groove

midnight Smokestack

Sunday September 5:

01:00 p.m. to be announced

02:30 p.m. to be announced

04:00 p.m. Kajeema

05:30 p.m. Passenger

07:00 p.m. Diesel Dog

08:30 p.m. Tala

10:00 p.m. Blue Quarter

midnight Grand Theft Bus

I'm looking forward to seeing a bunch of friends at Izzy's, and to meeting some new people. And I can't wait to do some dancing under the sun, moon and stars! :: !

Peace, Mark

You know you're right I do need some new friends and not everyone needs to get obliterated to have a good time (a whole fu©king lot do though). The only difference between me and everybody else commenting in this thread is that I am being honest, exposing myself to potential humiliation and facing the reality of the situation. There is no way any of these festivals particularly Come Together would mean what they do to us were it not for drugs and alcohol. Period.

And while we're on the topic do you want to know why none of these bands have received more mainstream recognition? Because drugs greatly accent the appreciation of this music and most people don't use drugs. Period. It's cool though just cause most other people have got a good job, car and likely house by this point in our lives doesn't mean we're total losers. I mean we got to rock out in a campground to the middling jams of Southern Ontario's finest and all they've got is a fu©king Lexus. No contest.

...hey speak for yourself boyee...some of us have no problem raging it up and keeping a dignified "white collar existence", with ambition even...

...and since when is a case of Moosehead and a quarter of kind "drugs" anyways...you sound like Nancy Reagan throwing around the term "drugs"...

As Kesey said, when you decide to do certain things, you "trade-off", I personally wouldn't change anything I've done, and would rather have had the wild experiences I've had with certain things, than be married to some square, driving a tempo, and having our lives determined by the TV Guide, in some subdivision in Brampton.

But that's just me, maybe you are yearning for those things Luke?

Let's celebrate our weirdness here!!

I personally wouldn't change anything I've done, and would rather have had the wild experiences I've had with certain things, than be married to some square, driving a tempo, and having our lives determined by the TV Guide, in some subdivision in Brampton.

Exactly... And as far as "white collars" go Hux, you're just about the coolest one I know...

Ok, I am really looking forward to hanging out with the everyone from this board, and everyone not from this board that decides to go to CTMF. It is unforunate that some of you cannot attend for one reason or another, for example Greg and his wonderful camping journey up-north... anyhow, I just have to respond to some quote about how this scene is ruining people's lives??? I haven't heard of anyone complaining about what direction they have CHOSEN on this board, and to be HONEST like someone has claimed, I don't think anyone is in a position to judge either. So,take your fu©king ignorant pompous opinion and shove it deep up your ass, and after you get over whincing in pain, take a good look in the mirror and realize that being a dick to your friends or potential friends is counter-productive, and then look again and realize that you are not the universal conscience of this scene, and realize that negativity towards fellow friends and artists is probably un-welcomed. If you want a debate, ask for one, but keep your insults to a minimum.

No need to apologize in fact you seemed to have been graced by the spirit of kung in your harsh harsh vitriol (I could tell because of the things getting rammed up butts). Of course no one would acknowledge being a part of this scene has affected their life or career that's why they call it REGRET.

Willy,...Izzy's is an ACTUAL campground with real facilities and proper insurance, etc. Mark and rick were partners...Izzy and Mark are not partners. marks pays Izzy alot of money to hold the fest there...they do not split the profits/expenses like at frontier Mark pays whether it was a success or not, it's completely different.

To get back to the more specific conversation I do believe Izzy's to be an idyllic setting, much better facilities, safer (I would expect) and well worth paying more money. I would think a good chunk of the money generated does go as you mentioned to the campground.

Of course no one would acknowledge being a part of this scene has affected their life or career that's why they call it REGRET.

The only thing I regret is not seeing more shows... I never saw Pink Floyd, the Grateful Dead w/ Jerry or any Phish previous to 1997... Other than that, I think I'm fairly satisfied with my life. Just because you have regrets kung, doesn't mean we all share your value system. If there are things you regret, why not work to effectively change those things? For example, if you think this "scene" is bringing you down, why not distance yourself from it? Attend less shows, do less drugs, and spend some time away from this message board? You love being a part of all of this (clearly), and I too find your comments more than a little insulting... This is the life we've chosen, and for better or worse we are a community. Your little digs and insults, which seem to stem from personal unhappiness in your life, do nothing to contribute to our little community in a positive way. I'm not talking peace and love here, just simple appreciation for our music and our gatherings. Honestly, I am curious what you hope to accomplish with your constant bashing of your friends and the scene in general. It seems you relish the spotlight, both on here and at shows. Why else would you put yourself out there like you do? If there are aspects of the scene you don't particularly like, why not try to change those things in a positive way, instead of trying to distance yourself from those things, while in the same breath coming down on those of us who actually enjoy those aspects? It all seems very hypocritical of you, especially considering it is you who is delivering the message...

Good ol' straight edge kung as Todd likes to say.

It seems like I've struck a nerve and I am suggesting that it is a nerve that needs to be struck. I think you all make eloquent remarks and they are well reasoned. I would like to say that I don't necessarily think of myself as being the Universal Conscience of the scene, it comes across that way in part because the scene really seems to lack a moral compass. I think you're point Del is really well taken and in the absence of actually doing anything to change (which isn't entirely true but the premise is) I have chosen instead to talk about the idea of 'change' or 'degradation'. That last word sort of sticks in my craw as I spit it out. I have no doubt that we have all experienced a great many things more than we would have driving our Tempos in Brampton but it has in fact come at a cost and in some cases a high one. Again I don't see how anyone can deny the veracity of these remarks they seem to me self-evident and only come across as so controversial because they are so rarely spoken. I think you're point however you put it about standing out at shows or on this forum is well taken, a not so subtle reference to my egotism or megalomania. That said while I do like being the Van Wilder of CanJam culture from time to time it comes at a very high cost for me as well. I have opened myself to a lot of heartache here and a good deal of the time my motivation is a touch more worldly than masturbation. I perhaps naively have thought that if I exposed myself to criticism others would as well. So I can see what might have you all up in arms but at the same point my motivations are both more and less altruistic then you might expect.

can't say I'm big on negative slams towards things that are yet to come... think somebody didn't pass the acid test

Come Together is one of the most innocent gatherings I've attended... people are generally very kind and well behaved... the only person I really saw getting out of hand at the last one is the same person denouncing the gathering now (and once again, sorry for not noticing you were more out of hand than usual, thought it was just part of the act at the time)... that some people (myself certainly included) go further overboard than they would on a weekday is to be expected... its a holiday weekend, outdoors with no cement to fall on and a lot less beer monsters running around than you run into at the local dance bar... perhaps a chance for the shaman to emerge and gaze upon the land... perhaps a chance to relax and kick back

I also meet a majority of people up there who's excesses pretty much go as far as perhaps a little bit of zooms or an extra couple of shots of jager... they enjoy the camping, the campfires and the music and get lots of deep sleep in the fresh air

just like drugs... if you can't handle it... don't do it... you're your own resposibility

on the topic of bands only being good on drugs, thank god when they are... I've been to see some bands high that are pure run away inducing torment... the bands I've go see at ctmf I can usually enjoy at least the direction they're heading and also like watching them grow... they're usually awesome folks I really enjoy getting to know and talk with... rather see any of these bands than any rock festival at molson park in barrie

that all said, Sunday definately looks like great fun... if anything I'd like to see some more Burning Man attitude at the fest... some creative displays, costumes, scientific marvels and places to gather around music supplied by folks who know of better music than the bands performing (obviously respectfully away from the stage)

keep the positive thoughts and suggestions coming, you only live once and this is the last local outdoor festival of 2004

Well put Luke, but if you do not tend to be the universal conscience with your remarks, maybe you should do some homework when you "generalize" everyone that attends these functions. Perhaps, people are doing what they choose to do, perhaps they are doing things you are completely un-aware of, perhaps, they are not doing the things you assume they are. Every human being has there demons, no doubt, but there is a flip-side to that coin, and that is what should be inspected here, I believe.