Jambands.ca

Burning Man

Velvet

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something music related might be good too. My only complaint I had about Burning Man is that you have to look pretty hard to find music other than techno. Fortunately I found good bluegrass, a Lynyrd Skynyrd cover band, and on the second last day I found Funk Camp (complete with a live 8 piece band, blender margaritas, and three light-up disco floors).

The only drawback is that if your camp has a music theme you might get sick of your own music. I dunno.

Okay, I got work to do.

Here is one idea. I drew it by hand after attending the OM Festival a few years ago. The original design was more like a set design/stage for a DJ, but a band would work just as well.

I agree Velvet, music should be a part of it. But this 'thing' could go without the stage and work as an 'installation' if necessary.

The stage is at 90 degrees of a semi-circle, which is formed by 8 ancient greek columns spaced equally. In the 'dance floor' near the middle, but off centre, is the 9th column.

Each of these columns 'house' one of the Muses. For Burning Man it would be really cool if the Muses were live manequins who were supplied with costume and props.

Anyway, the Muses are Goddesses from ancient greek mythology. Essentially, they preside over the arts and sciences, and inspire those who excel in these areas.

Check here for crash course: The Muses

the 9th column (in the dance floor) is for Terpsichore, the goddess of Dancing.

This 'thing' is meant to be a museum by day and an orgy at night....

The plans are drawn and they look pretty cool on paper. I have given some thought to construction, and there are some concerns. Yet, I do have access to materials and I still think its possible.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

Like I said before, I am interested in doing something different also...just couldn't resist sharing this one.

Peace Y'all

My gal pal Kristy just called me today to see if I wanted to go with her next week. Considering I need to be in Vegas on the 8th I may go...but funds are very short and there's no time to plan. If I don't go this year, count me in for next year for sure. Velvet, you and I have had this conversation before :)

Alrighty then, looks like me and QQC and Guigsy and Soupladle (welcome to the board!) and Freeker and StoneMtn and his lady and #2 are gonna pick up Esau on the other side of the border and go there with Alexis (if she goes this year, she'll go next year too), and hopefully Meggo and Paan. Did I miss anyone?

Sounds like a great start!

Wow, I'm excited. I got the newsletter in the mail a few days ago, and it rekindled my wonder.

hey velvet- if your not still mad at me for waking you up on Saturday rudely(under duress!!! I might add :o;) ::) I'd love to come- but I know we have to start working on Peter cause he might be less up for it. We can wear him down with the right incentives though.

I'd love to go- there are too many great ideas- (meeting this weekend anyone?).

so, all kidding aside, here's an actual idea i had while i was walking to the bank and back... and i think its something that can be worked on, transformed, used within other ideas, etc...

so, im thinking about how this, our group, came about, and how we can make fair representation of that at burning man... so, i thought, why not set up a live discussion/message board for folks. they can drop by at random and start threads and leave thoughts and words on large bulletin boards, or leave messages for other people they may have met along the way at burning man... maybe we can also set up a roundtable type live discussion type thing, and we have moderators theme it, and let people just go... give 'em an hour or so to talk, then switch it up... maybe, we can bring costumes, historical figures, present day folk, superheroes, etc, and people can dress up and partake in the conversation in character. perhaps we can hold these discussions in the temple that soup ladle talked about building? and perhaps number 2 can serve his cocktail weiners to keep the folks discussing from having their tummies jump into the conversation with an untimely growl...

i dunno... could work... i can only imagine some of the interesting ideas and thoughts and discussions that might get tossed around... and we could serve as liasons for bringing people together... which is kinda what happens around here anyways... lets take it to the desert!